Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My coordinator has appreciatively given me the option to change my group 4 subjects. Now, unfortunately I need to take ALL 3 subjects to a certain level inorder to apply for uni. But only 2 of those can be from IB, the third science I can take as a regular non-IB school elective.
    So it comes down to this, which two sciences should I take? I'm inclined to take the two most demanding. I know this question is totally subjective and there is no exact answer, but I'd like an opinion: Which two sciences do you think are the most difficult at HL? I've heard from an older friend that Bio HL seems to be the biggest jump in difficulty from its SL counterpart while Physics HL is the least. And from the posts I've read here, it seems that Chem HL is the killer course.

Right now, I don't exactly know what my preferences are. I'm not taking Math HL so I'm not sure if Physics HL would be compatible.

ReputationRep:
    Physics HL can be undertaken whether HL math or not.

Physics though i believe is the most demanding HL syllabus, possibly in the whole IB, due to its extensive syllabus!

ReputationRep:
    Ive heared that Physics HL is the second hardest ib subject (its defenetally reflected by the grade boundaries!!), however at our school this year, 3 people recieved a 7 in Chem, 3 People a 7 in Phyisics and 0 People a 7 in Bio. I think its really up to you, if you are good at memorising facts and writing essays, bio shouldnt be too hard, if you are good at maths/formulas, etc... physics shouldnt be to bad. If you are moderatelly good good at both, but not great at either Chemistry should be easiest for you. So try placing yourself in one of those categories.

ReputationRep:
    Go for Physics HL and Chem HL. Bio is not at all a good option because it has the infinte syllabus and the bad grade boundary:p:....and above that, most of the universities prefer Physics and Chem. Not Bio.

ReputationRep:
    i agree chem + physics are probably regarded as the most difficult + demanding

bio isnt as well respected for being a 'hard' science

ReputationRep:
    Physics HL definitely. Although I am personally against the way the syllabus has been designed, it's in no way easy.

Chemistry HL is utter nonsense. There's a reason top schools like MIT don't offer credit for Chemistry HL. I practically learnt the whole syllabus myself in 2 weeks.. The exam papers are SO simplistic..

Dunno about Bio, but sheer quantity of memorization forces me to place it higher than chemistry when it comes to difficulty.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.