Turn on thread page Beta

Piano Lessons watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Right, so when I get back to uni I'm thinking of taking piano lessons. I know the basics, but I want to know more. I found a guy near me who charges £25, which I can't see me affording!

Just wondering if anyone else does piano lessons, how much they cost and if they can afford to do them throughout the academic year?

Thank ye!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    That's quite expensive; you could probably find cheaper. I think my teacher charges about £20 (for 45 minutes) but the teachers I had before her were £8 and £10 for half an hour. It depends on the area and demand etc. though.

Perhaps you could find a music student willing to give you lessons for a bit less than someone who does it for a living?

ReputationRep:
    My piano teacher charges £5 for every 15 minutes, so half-an-hour would cost £10, and hour would be £20.

Agree with Reverie, £25 is quite a lot of money. How long would he be teaching you for in one lesson for £25?

ReputationRep:
    I pay £1.80 per half hour That's got me to a level not far beyond grade 8, so my lessons are now fortnightly just for scale training etc.

ReputationRep:
    It used to be £5 for my hour-long lesson, but that was quite a few years ago. :p: £25 still seems like a lot though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Car Expert)
    My piano teacher charges £5 for every 15 minutes, so half-an-hour would cost £10, and hour would be £20.

Agree with Reverie, £25 is quite a lot of money. How long would he be teaching you for in one lesson for £25?
    £25 is for the hour.

vector, £1.80 an hour?! Where's that?!

ReputationRep:
    Little old lady about a 20 minute drive away. She's a bit behind the times, but a damn good teacher. We generally go through and find key points in my playing which need improvement and work on them.

She may be 80 something, but her fingers are still good enough that she can do all the slavonic dance duets with me. She's an ex London College of Music (I think) student and got in by playing Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody (number 2 I think - the one in the Stella advert), which is the piece I've been trying to learn for months...

ReputationRep:
    i'm at a similar level piano-wise and have been teaching myself from a book (i had some lessons to start with)
    its working ok so far and is mighty cheap!

may be worth a try?

ReputationRep:
    Teaching yourself isn't the best idea IMO - you really need to be shown the basics etc. otherwise your fingering and things will always suck and you'll never be able to get that good.

ReputationRep:
    i agree that its not the best idea to teach yourself - was just saying that its an option worth considering due to the lack of funds that we're talking about here; even if its only in the short-term until money becomes available again.

plus one of the best pianists i've ever met was completely self-taught!

ReputationRep:
    Ah, ok. If you have the determination to sit and do scales etc. on your own then you'll be fine - I personally had to be made to do them :p:

ReputationRep:
    £25 is pretty ok really.

ReputationRep:
    Though thinking about it, I paid nearly £25 for driving lessons, and driving requires far less technical skill than playing the piano... £25 still seems expensive for piano lessons though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vector)
    I pay £1.80 per half hour That's got me to a level not far beyond grade 8, so my lessons are now fortnightly just for scale training etc.
    Man, I am so jealous of your musical talents. ******* :p:

ReputationRep:
    Well I guess it depends on the area and how good the teacher is. An instrumental tutor of mine for the past two years charges £40 an hour, and he is worth every penny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    Man, I am so jealous of your musical talents. ******* :p:
    :vector: :p:

ReputationRep:
    Learning the piano should not be that expensive. I used to take piano lessons at home when I was studying in texas. I saved a lot coz I would just wait for the teacher to come to our house -- a great savings for gas and extra expenses when going to the teacher's studio.

Try to ask friends/relatives for referals in your area, or search on yellow pages.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.