Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi, just windering if someone could tell me how they grade you in the first year of uni, im not quite sure
    do you sit exams and do coursework and they give you a grade or something which doesnt/does go towards your degree?
    or do you not get a mark or anything

also, is it possible to transfer to a different uni after your first year, say if people have dropped out of the other uni?
    x

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure how they grade you etc, but i'm pretty sure that our first year grades don't go towards our degree.

ReputationRep:
    Most unis you just have to pass the first year - grades don't count towards the course. I dont know about all unis, but a common pass mark is 40%.

As for transfers, they are possibly, but you might have to enter the uni at 1st year level again rather than 2nd year. Either way is it really worth having to make a whole new group of friends, uproot yourself from a city, etc?

ReputationRep:
    You complete the first year in the same way that you complete the second and third years - yet any grades you get don't go towards your final degree. As recneps said, you just need to pass your course (get more than 40%) to get onto the next year of it.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    You will get a grade just the same as you do for the rest of university (usually done as first, 2.1, 2.2, 3rd, pass, fail) and/or a mark (usually done as a percentage but some universities use different scales) which you would be able to translate to first, 2.1, etc. You will most likely have done a combination of coursework (which you'll probably already know your mark for) and exams and may be able to get a breakdown so you know how well you did in each module (or subject) but you're unlikely to find out, e.g., how well you did in a specific exam.
    A lot of first year marks don't count but it will depend on the course and university - at mine, a lot of the science courses *did* have the first year counting towards the degree for example.
    Finally, yes transfers are theoretically possible but you'd need the other university to agree to take you and this may be conditional on you doing well enough in your first year. If the courses are compatible enough then you may be able to continue from the second year of the new course but more likely you'll have to start again from the first year.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the replies, ver helpful
    can I also ask if you wish to transfer do you go through UCAS? and if so, what do you do about references etc do you use the ones from your sixth form?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.