Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thuddykins)
    yes. I have not once here said "woo USSR" so I don't understand why you're all getting so het up and then only demonstrating that actually, you don't seem to know anything about Tsarist Russia (no offence AS, I respect you and all).
    I could know more about it, it's true. But I was working on the not-unreasonable assumption that it was rather like Royalist France - a mixture of advanced feudalism and proto-Capitalism.
    If there are 10 jobs and 100 people there will be high unemployment no?
    If there are 90 jobs and 100 people unemployment will be less, no?
    Yes, but that's not the same as equality.
    And millions more NOT artificially so. Russia went from pretty much the most backwards in Europe to second in the world only to the USA in terms of production.
    Fair point. And I suppose a country doesn't industrialise that fast without at least some profit filtering down - despite the best efforts of the authorities, no doubt - to the people in some form.
    What exactly could you buy in tsarist Russia? A sheep skin coat and a new goat if you worked your ass off for 5 years.
    But under the Soviets you'd work your ass off for 5 years making chairs and there still wouldn't be anything in the furniture shops.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thud)
    I didn't say there would be, I said it was better than tsarism.
    Better in some ways, then, let's say. After all, there must have been some reason there wasn't an immediate (attempted) counter-revolution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thud)
    absolutely. Literacy didn't rise from less than 1% to almost 100%, schools weren't built, the population of the cities didn't increase 10 fold, the country didn't undergo massive industrialisation and millions of jobs weren't created.

"You there, dig a hole. You, fill it in."
    "I have money, but because we refuse to pay back our debts, our country has no foreign goods, so all I can eat is black bread, and I live in a rundown flat with ten to a room whilst Stalin et al live like the Tsars used to."
    Mass starvation is fun too

As you can tell, I'm not overly impressed with Communist rule.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.