Why are people "in favour" of life? Watch

will'o'wisp
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Let me explain what i mean.

I'm not an idiot who wants people to drop dead left right and centre.

However what i mean when i say this is, why do people want to save people who take drugs and deteriorate their own life?

Why do people stop them from overdosing or whatever?

Can't we just let them do what they want? It really is their life.

If people want to smoke or whatever sure warn them about dangers but why go as far as to save them? Sure you might say well what about when you get in hospital for getting drunk etc.

I won't simply because i don't drink, never will and i will never do drugs or smoke because i don't wanna slowly kill myself.
TheonlyMrsHolmes
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Because there a lot of people in this world that feel like they can help somebody to stop doing that to themselves, it may be from a loss they've suffered or it may just come from compassion. Idk.

But at the end of the day, to many people in this world life is fragile and precious.
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i agree to be honest.. if people want to waste their lives away, even after knowing the dangers.. that's on them

i don't drink/smoke.. pah i don't even drink fizzy drinks.. as i'm somewhat consience of my health
will'o'wisp
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
Because there a lot of people in this world that feel like they can help somebody to stop doing that to themselves, it may be from a loss they've suffered or it may just come from compassion. Idk.

But at the end of the day, to many people in this world life is fragile and precious.
But why someone else?
Yea, it is fragile but why someone else's life? Why not just protect your own and those you hold dear to your in your personal circle of friends and family? Why care for a complete stranger?
(Original post by gr8wizard10)
i agree to be honest.. if people want to waste their lives away, even after knowing the dangers.. that's on them

i don't drink/smoke.. pah i don't even drink fizzy drinks.. as i'm somewhat consience of my health
Me 2, i'd just let them die and waste away, let them kill themselves smoking and drinking, i mean they've been warned so unless they ask for help and really wanna change let them be.

Big generalisation here but the world isn't big enough for everyone so more dead=more sustainable Earth

or technological advances=more sustainable sources of food fuel and necessities
TheonlyMrsHolmes
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by will'o'wisp)
But why someone else?
Yea, it is fragile but why someone else's life? Why not just protect your own and those you hold dear to your in your personal circle of friends and family? Why care for a complete stranger?
I literally just gave you my answer bubz. >_>
Little Popcorns
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Because quite often it's the fault of society having failed these people. We owe it to them to help they often have worse life chances to begin with so it should fall on the privileged to take the burden on their broader shoulders. Any other way is not fair. Life's not fair? Well why make it worse than it needs to be when people can be helped and people can help them!

Gosh the selfishness of people these days disgusts me. You guys are taking us back decades...
will'o'wisp
Rep:
?
I literally just gave you my answer bubz. >_>
Ok, let me rephrase my answer (bit blunt but)

Why would you care what anyone else does with their life?
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
People turn to drugs and overdose because they feel lonely and empty, that person tries to show them that life doesn't have to be that way. Self destructive behaviour is linked to feeling hopeless, many people have overcome it and are some of the greatest people alive today.

Had you argued abortion or suicide due to medical reasons like I was expecting when i clicked this, then I'd agree with you.
TheonlyMrsHolmes
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ok, let me rephrase my answer (bit blunt but)

Why would you care what anyone else does with their life?
It comes from a place of selflessness, compassion and sympathy.

Same reason why someone might take a week out to help make ill children smile, or volunteer for cancer patients, or help an old person on the street.

Why is this even a question?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago

However what i mean when i say this is, why do people want to save people who take drugs and deteriorate their own life?

If people want to smoke or whatever sure warn them about dangers but why go as far as to save them? Sure you might say well what about when you get in hospital for getting drunk etc.

I won't simply because i don't drink, never will and i will never do drugs or smoke because i don't wanna slowly kill myself.
Maybe the people have an addiction?
Maybe some of them are mentally ill?
Maybe life is precious and theres a chance they can be cured?
Maybe Drs swear b by the hippocratic oath?
Maybe they have friends and family who would like them to be saved?
Maybe you are blessed in this life because you dont drink, dont do drugs and will never get ill through anything you do?
cbreef
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Same reason why someone might take a week out to help make ill children smile, or volunteer for cancer patients, or help an old person on the street.

Basically, because we have a heart.
username2705335
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Maybe it's because i'd care about the person and wouldn't to lose them in the future. Some of the people who do these things have children or parents.
RobML
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by gr8wizard10)

Yeah, you don't know drug addiction works do you? Children.
DetectivePeralta
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Little Popcorns)
Because quite often it's the fault of society having failed these people. We owe it to them to help they often have worse life chances to begin with so it should fall on the privileged to take the burden on their broader shoulders. Any other way is not fair. Life's not fair? Well why make it worse than it needs to be when people can be helped and people can help them!

Gosh the selfishness of people these days disgusts me. You guys are taking us back decades...
Why should 'privileged' people take the burden? What are they supposed to do to stop people from taking drugs and ruining their lives?
will'o'wisp
Rep:
?
(Original post by zayn008)
People turn to drugs and overdose because they feel lonely and empty, that person tries to show them that life doesn't have to be that way. Self destructive behaviour is linked to feeling hopeless, many people have overcome it and are some of the greatest people alive today.

Had you argued abortion or suicide due to medical reasons like I was expecting when i clicked this, then I'd agree with you.
That's fantastic yet still, if they be lonely and empty why don't they make an effort to fit in with society and get some friends or something?

Tru, still that's on the far end of horrendous quality of life so no, of course i'd put the down if they asked or if the time had come,

You just want to help?
That's fair enough.

Because i'm a mess that's why. and 2edgy
(Original post by 999tigger)
Maybe the people have an addiction?
Maybe some of them are mentally ill?
Maybe life is precious and theres a chance they can be cured?
Maybe Drs swear b by the hippocratic oath?
Maybe they have friends and family who would like them to be saved?
Maybe you are blessed in this life because you dont drink, dont do drugs and will never get ill through anything you do?
Well if they ask for the help we should give it
Well that can't be helped can it ? :/
Sure why not but not again if they make themselves have the same illness again, excluding the factor that it could be out of the persons control also life is precious is subjective
That's fair but x rule isn't always right in every situation. And still there are some promises you can't always keep
Tru, but isn't that common with almost everyone? Still, if someone in my famiyl was a druggie or was a drunk i wouldn't couldn't care any more about what they do with their life
Maybe i am, you can still stop yourself with some good willpower, willpower is always a good thing to have.
(Original post by cbreef)
Basically, because we have a heart.
Right... i'm probabyl missing something
(Original post by Little Popcorns)

So why has society not changed? Because the majority of people don't care enough, they couldn't care about other strangers. They care about themselves and their close connections. Well why would i help them if they want to keep ruining themselves? Unless they ask for help, it's a no no.

Why the privileged to help those less well off than themselves? Why would they care? Why not poor help the poor, group up and help each other in life? The ideal world isn't in grasp at all, we're far from it, we probably could get it but the majority of the world has to change.

Why am i selfish? Why should anyone help me if i didn't ask? They don't care.

Let me give you an example, teacher who teach classes who truly care are their students education will make sure their student understand the topics. However they go about this they'll do ti somehow, be it afterschool classes, one on one sessions, or just simply asking the class after going through something if they understand or not. Most teachers i've experienced don't care because it's not their education and it's not their degree, most likely they don't particularly enjoy their job and are doing ti just to pay the bills.

People care to an extent and the teachers example is caring about the next generations education but nto caring enough to actually teach them properly.

(Original post by RobML)
Yeah, you don't know drug addiction works do you? Children.
You can't stop taking the stuff and want more and more?

So what's the problem? Ask for some help.
It's not difficult to say"Help me"
and them go ask the relevant people for some help, they either have no willpower in which case the relevant people can't do anything unless the don't ask for help because they wouldn't know about it or they just want to waste their life away, usually i believe most people are somewhere on the scale, in any case i could be completely wrong with my analogy
jenni:)
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For me, because there's usually a reason why someone is like that, it's often because people haven't been taught to value their life, because they have been made to feel worthless by other people or by life in general, or by themselves. And I feel that I want to help them, to replace what they haven't had

Posted from TSR Mobile
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
Tbh you sound like you have very little appreciation of mental health or addiction. Its all very well to say go and ask fro some help, but for someone with mental health issues it isnt as easy as that and someone with an addiction it doesnt just all go away.

Not everyone has you supreme willpower or guaranteed good health.
will'o'wisp
Rep:
?
(Original post by saraxh)
Maybe it's because i'd care about the person and wouldn't to lose them in the future. Some of the people who do these things have children or parents.
Well that's a given but what if they were a druggie and didn't want to save themslves and didn't want help?
(Original post by jenni:))
For me, because there's usually a reason why someone is like that, it's often because people haven't been taught to value their life, because they have been made to feel worthless by other people or by life in general, or by themselves. And I feel that I want to help them, to replace what they haven't had

Posted from TSR Mobile
I guess, surely tho they wouldn't learnt to grow a thick skin and not give one? After being made feeling worthless and pathetic surely they'd learn not to get hurt again? or at least try and start growing a thick skin and brush of the idiotic comments?

That's fair, out of your own heart
JoshDarnIt
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Because life's too short and precious and you would want someone to live that life to the fullest.

Let me tell you something. Now I've never shared this with anyone, but my mum suffered from depression a few years back and she tried to overdose herself on some tablets. Luckily I was there to stop her which made her realise that she was making a mistake. She's better now and she's really thankful that I stopped her. This just goes to show that these people who do these things may be going through a tough time and need that helping hand to pull them back out of the darkness.
will'o'wisp
Rep:
?
(Original post by I'mJustSomeGuy)
Because life's too short and precious and you would want someone to live that life to the fullest.

Let me tell you something. Now I've never shared this with anyone, but my mum suffered from depression a few years back and she tried to overdose herself on some tablets. Luckily I was there to stop her which made her realise that she was making a mistake. She's better now and she's really thankful that I stopped her. This just goes to show that these people who do these things may be going through a tough time and need that helping hand to pull them back out of the darkness.
Which begs the question why do you want to save a stranger?

Well ok, this is a great example of caring for close members on your personal circle, so you would care, unless of exceptional circumstances right? But what about a stranger? do you care for them as much as your own family?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are cats selfish

Yes (40)
50.63%
No (39)
49.37%

Watched Threads