The Student Room Group

I got a U in my AS now my tutor isn't supporting me.

I got a U in my Geography AS now the only encouragement and advice I get from my tutor is to drop the subject! I'm not making excuses, however 3 days prior to my exam my grandmother passed away unexpectedly and I was the one who found her etc. Don't get me wrong I'm not looking for sympathy but with hindsight I should of maybe taken the option to withdraw and re take at a later time? Currently I am working at a good level and have been predicted at least a C by one of my tutors, unfortunately my other tutor doesn't support me and although I have asked for help to catch up and have arranged after school interventions the tutor has always cancelled with minutes to spare. The other students within my class all bar one and myself have all got grades of E or above and the majority of the lesson is spent going over their work and advising/supporting them. Personally I feel that this is just down to school league table results and it is easier to drop myself and the other student from the course altogether rather than support and guide us? I know I sound a little melodramatic but this subject is my passion and is what I want to study at degree level! Am I being unrealistic or unfair?
Original post by kj72
I got a U in my Geography AS now the only encouragement and advice I get from my tutor is to drop the subject! I'm not making excuses, however 3 days prior to my exam my grandmother passed away unexpectedly and I was the one who found her etc. Don't get me wrong I'm not looking for sympathy but with hindsight I should of maybe taken the option to withdraw and re take at a later time? Currently I am working at a good level and have been predicted at least a C by one of my tutors, unfortunately my other tutor doesn't support me and although I have asked for help to catch up and have arranged after school interventions the tutor has always cancelled with minutes to spare. The other students within my class all bar one and myself have all got grades of E or above and the majority of the lesson is spent going over their work and advising/supporting them. Personally I feel that this is just down to school league table results and it is easier to drop myself and the other student from the course altogether rather than support and guide us? I know I sound a little melodramatic but this subject is my passion and is what I want to study at degree level! Am I being unrealistic or unfair?

Consider whether you and other students wish to make a complaint.
make a list of things inlcuding keeping a diarry where they havent turned up or refused to help. You mau need to get your parents involved.
You found her dead?
If you really like the subject revise by yourself and just ask for help on the Internet.
Or
Complain about this problem to your head of sixth form.
Or
Drop subject and do 3 Alevels it's much more easier. (Our school only allows a C at minimum to carry the subject for the mocks - really strict. But it's true though. There's no point in doing a subject that you'll get below a C).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest