Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So, got into "Monty B", though I really wanted Dev.. REAAAAAAAAALLY wanted it!!

Don't know whether this will be a blessing in disguise, but I hadn't even considered this place. Seems ok from what I can gather from the Leeds accomm site, but would really appreciate any more info anyone has..

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I got in there too

hopefully it's good.

Block F, Room F1.45

www.myspace.com/bensmall2003

add me if anyone wants to

ReputationRep:
    Cool, added you

Anyone whose been to/stayed there care to shed some light!!?

ps. So what course you studying mate?

ReputationRep:
    I was in Monty B block F flat 3.2 last year, it was ok! Not the worst of the residences by any stretch of the imagination, my only quibble with it was the fact that it was sooo quiet! It seems to be quite an antisocial sort of hall, not like Bodington or Devs, but that doesn't mean you won't have a good time. The people I shared a flat with were the nicest bunch and we're now all best mates and living in our new flat down the road. There's BBQs outside on the lawn so when the summer comes make the most of them coz it'll give you a good chance to meet the people you haven't ever spoken to that actually only live downstairs! When it's cold winter most people don't tend to venture out of their flats much to speak to each other but the experience is what you make it.

The halls themselves are okay, some are being refurbished in a completely random order so if you're one of the lucky ones that gets one of those blocks you're sorted. Unfortunately if you're block F you won't be!

One final thing- the area around Monty B is quite rough, well actually it's a council estate with a bad rep. It's usually fine but there have been muggings, and not just on people on their own. The locals are getting bolder it seems, so they don't care who they mug even if there's a big group of you. You should be fine, just don't go out on your own at night if you can help it.

The proximity to the uni is fab, you can roll out of bed at 8:45 for a 9am lecture if you're savvy.

I realise I haven't talked about everything but if there's any questions feel free to ask. I hope I haven't put anyone off, it's really quite a good place to live and the wardens are really helpful.

Claire
    xx

ReputationRep:
    I don't like everyone talking about the crime and quietness

I hope it's better than people make out.

ReputationRep:
    And it sucks that Block F isn't being refurbished

ReputationRep:
    It's okay really you'll get a decent social life from other people anyway, it's just that Monty B is mostly international students and some of them don't like to mix with people that aren't on the international program. If you're lucky (like I was) then you'll get an international student in your flat and you make new friends that way. Uni's just that kind of place where you make all sorts of friends you never would have thought of, chances are you won't be home for that much of it anyway :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felixGash)
    Cool, added you

Anyone whose been to/stayed there care to shed some light!!?

ps. So what course you studying mate?
    Sorry didn't answer your question there.

I'm doing Geography & History Joint Honours. Yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocolatehobnob)
    It's okay really you'll get a decent social life from other people anyway, it's just that Monty B is mostly international students and some of them don't like to mix with people that aren't on the international program. If you're lucky (like I was) then you'll get an international student in your flat and you make new friends that way. Uni's just that kind of place where you make all sorts of friends you never would have thought of, chances are you won't be home for that much of it anyway :P
    Yeah I'll hope something good comes of it.

I mostly chose it because of its proximity to the uni/campus.

ReputationRep:
    Well I´m in Monty B aswell, room A1.11
    anyone know if block A has been refurbished?
    And if its a quiet block (I hope not).
    xXx

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Block A has been refurbished, that was the first one they did. Looks quite nice from the outside, we sneaked a look through the windows a couple of months ago! Definitely not a quiet block though! You'll have the joy of crazy lady to look forward to! If you've got Facebook, look at this page:
    http://leedsac.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2204094185

Crazy lady is mental but very funny! Will make your stay even more enjoyable :P

ReputationRep:

Not too worried about the "crime" mentioned, always found if you stay streetwise you're bound to have less problems.. but, and don't take this the wrong way, the suggestion that Monty has a lot of Internationals I don't like at all.

I was at Notts uni before and got stuck in a pretty ****ty hall (though we did come to love it) which was full of postgrads and internationals - they don't mix, don't say hello, don't leave their rooms, don't talk (even the ones in your own flat!), and don't seem to even WANT to interact with the general population.. I genuinely hope to god this isn't the case, I feel as tho I was stitched up the first time I went to uni, dont want to end up feeling the same way

Anyway, I'm somewhere in Block E and will be doing English!

ReputationRep:
    I didnt have an international students in my flat year before last, apart from an American, but I don't ever think of Americans as international students. That was in E block. There was a fair few about, but you get them in all halls. I really wouldn't worry about it. As for crime? Not in the halls themselves - theyre all gated off and stuff, just dont do stuff like leaving your windows wide open when you go out.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.