Turn on thread page Beta

Filter Interview Questions watch

ReputationRep:
    Just a few questions to ask.

I’ve got my filter interview on the 29th and I have a few questions to ask on various things.

Firstly, what is the “current” OASC system? I know it’s recently changed, but the booklet I got with my P2 gives the usual 4 day layout. It is September it changes? In which case when asked which one should I talk about? – Probably look better if I know both and can explain that it’s changing?

NATO –I know what it is, what it’s all about, key dates and what they are doing in the world. How much detail do we roughly need to know? :confused:

Finally, as I’m applying for a bursary, will I be expected to be “ready” for service now, or are they going to access me on whether I will be ready to join in 3 years time after my degree and UAS experience? I posted this in a different thread but I didn’t really phrase the question very well. Hopefully I wrote it better this time!

I think that’s it for now, I’m sure I’ll think of more things over the next few days as I’m looking through information. Cheers for any replies.

Thanks, QM.

ReputationRep:
    Hi QM

As I understand it the new OASC format won't include a fitness test so that will tell you which you have - if you check the RAF website they might have some details online or HTH on these forums may know, otherwise in your interview know that OASC is changing, but that this particular format is x, y and z if that makes sense.

NATO - sounds like enough to me

ONe thing i will say is know your own dates really well - when you joined clubs, etc, when you left school, when you worked where, what GCSE's you have, etc etc - if you don't know yourself inside and out it's al to easy to flunk this bit. It's not something you think about revising because you know yourself - but you really should un over your form to make sure you know it well!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Isis.

Yea thats a good point actually I've heard most people slip up not know things about themselves, rather than other knowledge on the RAF etc. I'll have to dig that out. Cheers. Isis

ReputationRep:
    Yep - my moment of panic was where did you do your gold DoE exped - errrrrrrr I don't know it was nearly 10 yrs ago!

ReputationRep:
    My moment of panic is going to be explaining why I didnt do DoE, lol. My reasons are pretty good though and I made up for it elsewhere, still wish I had it to mention now. Grrrrrr.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhh there we go – another question!

What the hell are the secondary duties for WSOp and Pilots? I’ve had a quick look around for it, and all I can find is admin and briefings? I know there will be more than this, some of which will be quite tedious I’m sure. If anyone could shed any light that would be great.

Cheers QM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiet_Mason)
    Ahhhh there we go – another question!

What the hell are the secondary duties for WSOp and Pilots? I’ve had a quick look around for it, and all I can find is admin and briefings? I know there will be more than this, some of which will be quite tedious I’m sure. If anyone could shed any light that would be great.

Cheers QM
    they're not secondary duties, they're part of primary. Secondary duties would be running a sports group, or running of the mess bar etc. Thats all you'll need to tell them. Thats all i told them in my OASC interview

ReputationRep:
    Excellent cheers Steve.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, also a good one to mention as a secondary duty is Station Duty (sometimes called Ordely) officer... although I'm not really sure whether that's a primary or secondary really?? Some think it is a secondary duty. But what Dagowly said is good - ents team is another good one (organising summer balls and Christmas draws).

ReputationRep:
    I would say Orderly Officer / SNCO is a primary duty as it's something you're told to do, rather than voluntary.

It's probably best not to mention it as a secondary duty.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have been led to believe that any duty carried out alongside your primary job / trade scope is called an associated duty (in work time of course). For example I might be a technician whose primary duty is to fix radios. My associated duty might be to update the Air Publications (AP's) on a regular basis.

A secondary duty is considered to be carried out in your own time. However the best ones are involved with something you enjoy such as golf club treasurer or football coach.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys and girls I appreciate all the responses. Glad I asked now. Don't worry I'll think of more!

If I get through this filter alive I’ll buy you all a drink!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiet_Mason)
    Excellent cheers Steve.
    np

ReputationRep:
    "Highest point of your life?" make sure you are ready for that one. I got asked about secondary duties and was asked to give an example.

ReputationRep:
    Also lowest point in your life.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Ents Committee
    Stn Equal Opportunities Officer
    Orderly Officer
    Station magazine editor
    Community liaison officer
    Running RAF clubs
    Running RAF sports teams

etc etc

ReputationRep:
    Ahh so Orderly Off is a sec duty.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Well it's more of a you-get-no-choice-and-if-the-station-requires-it-then-you're on-it-duty.

On a large base, squadrons seem to take it turn about, so you're only having to do one day/night every couple of months. So it's not a choice, but it's secondary in the way that it is not your primary role.

ReputationRep:
    Orderly Officer is a bit like guard duty for airmen if that helps - not a secondary duty, an additional one in your primary role.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isis07)
    Orderly Officer is a bit like guard duty for airmen if that helps - not a secondary duty, an additional one in your primary role.

Yeah, this sums it up best, i think. I certainly wouldn't volunteer for it !

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.