Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Is it necessary to decline a grade if you want to resit that unit (edexcel).

But i resit two units this year without declining the previous ones.
    So what is the rule?

ReputationRep:
    I want to know the answer to this too! Some people are saying you have to decline your grade to retake a unit and some people are saying you don't....

ReputationRep:
    Plz could anybody help?

I need this answer urgently.

ReputationRep:
    You can resit a unit without declining the AS, but any extra marks you gain go toward your overall A2 grade. This means your AS certificated grade remains the same.
    If you are not happy with the AS grade and don't want a certificate for it, then you have to decline it. Your AS resits then go toward making up the new grade.

You must bear in mind that declining certain subjects whilst accepting others, might look a tad suspicious when universities see your module grades.

ReputationRep:
    If you are continuing a subject taken at AS to A2 then you can put your grade on your ucas form and resit as many times as you want, this is because you are resitting in order to improve your overall A level mark. There's no need to mention anything about resitting on your personal statement as resitting only affects your overall A level mark.

This is what i did last year, i got a low A in AS economics and continued it to A2, so i put grade A down for my AS result on UCAS and i resat my AS modules in january and june. However if you are not continuing a subject to A2, eg. i did geography at AS then dropped it, and you wish to resit that subject you would have to cancel the grade AFAIK. To be honest if your AS subject is at least a C there's little point in resitting as you would have no grade to put on your ucas form for it.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to decline the AS grade. I resat some Chemistry and Biology modules without declining anything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    You can resit a unit without declining the AS, but any extra marks you gain go toward your overall A2 grade. This means your AS certificated grade remains the same.
    If you are not happy with the AS grade and don't want a certificate for it, then you have to decline it. Your AS resits then go toward making up the new grade.

You must bear in mind that declining certain subjects whilst accepting others, might look a tad suspicious when universities see your module grades.
    Thanks this really clears things up

ReputationRep:
    I took S1 in my AS in 2006.
    Can i retake it now in 2008.

ReputationRep:
    Could anybody tell. plz

ReputationRep:
    I probably gonna decline my grade for psychology and resit it because my grade isn't even worth keeping.

Guys, is it possible if I still resit psychology and also take up a new subject and do an intensive course on it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smart_123_2)
    Hi,

Is it necessary to decline a grade if you want to resit that unit (edexcel).

But i resit two units this year without declining the previous ones.
    So what is the rule?
    yep it is certainly what you'd have to do or else your AS grade will remain the same (on paper, that is) anddd also, if you don't want to declare your actual grade (as it is now with that bad unit grade - I'm assuming) on your UCAS application - you must as this is unfortunately the last year you can do that!

ReputationRep:
    I took S1 in my AS in 2006.
    Can i retake it now in 2008.

If you're still taking maths A2 you may be able to... as it will affect your overall A level grade i presume

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)

<< lol yep:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katherine_L)
    I probably gonna decline my grade for psychology and resit it because my grade isn't even worth keeping.

Guys, is it possible if I still resit psychology and also take up a new subject and do an intensive course on it?

RESIT THE WHOLE OF AS??
    - not a good idea when also having A2 modules to look forward to lol! but if that's what it'll take to improve your overall grade: go for it! w/ lots of motivation and hard work you should be fine!
    RESIT THE WHOLE ALEVEL??
    - a year is plenty of time for that... but don't dedicate yourself to simply just working towards that for its own sake, and by the looks of it if it 'isn't even worth keeping' - you're prob going to have to input more than a few intensive sessions on your part - along with the new subject, which is fine if you've got the time!
    make sure you plan your time well and stay FOCUSED :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Differentiationer)
    If you're still taking maths A2 you may be able to... as it will affect your overall A level grade i presume
    No i took my A2 exams in this june 2007. And the S1, which i want to resit , i took it in june 2006. So can i retake it now.

Thanx

ReputationRep:
    No i took my A2 exams in this june 2007. And the S1, which i want to resit , i took it in june 2006. So can i retake it now.

Thanx

yes you can, but remember - it won't change your existing AS level grade...
    it will affect your OVERALL Alevel grade for maths if you do better in the unit you wish to retake (S1) - as the better unit grade goes forward.
    so get your head down! lol

ReputationRep:
    ok thanx for help

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.