Someone reassure me - the LEA automatically pays your full fee so you only pay ₤3070? Watch

King_Duncan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
OK stupid question probably, and I should have asked it a lot earlier....

I'm not planning on applying for a Maintenance Grant (student loan), so I haven't done any applications of a financial nature at all. Now some documents have come from my university, one of them asking for a statement of who will pay my university fees.

Now, am I right in assuming that because I stated that the LEA would pay my fees (i.e. I only pay the ₤3070, and the government subsidises the rest through the LEA) on UCAS, this happens automatically? In which case I can put my parents' names down on the statement and this will mean the university will expect them to pay the ₤3070?

Or do I need to contact the LEA to request this? In which case at present, if I simply put my parents' names down on the form the university will assume that they're paying the full fee (i.e. what overseas students pay)?!?

Please help me... I'm sure it's simple and not worth worrying about, but I would just like to be sure.
Carrie1
Report 11 years ago
the £3070 is the full amount for a UK person.
Lizj
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Sorry, I don't understand your question. Your tuition fees are £3070 per year. This can be paid by a student loan from your LEA, which you pay back after graduation. If you don't want this loan then either you or your parents pay the £3070 to the university.
If you wanted the loan but have not applied for it yet then you had better contact your LEA pretty urgently and sort it out - you can't enrol at uni if the fees have not been paid.
Purple
Badges: 15
Report 11 years ago
You need to apply to get the tutition fee loan.
snu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Lizj)
Sorry, I don't understand your question. Your tuition fees are £3070 per year. This can be paid by a student loan from your LEA, which you pay back after graduation. If you don't want this loan then either you or your parents pay the £3070 to the university.
If you wanted the loan but have not applied for it yet then you had better contact your LEA pretty urgently and sort it out - you can't enrol at uni of the fees have not been paid.
I don't believe that's entirely correct - the university actually gets further money from the LEA to fund your education, although I'm not entirely sure how much it is (I think it's probably in the region of about £5k per year), in addition to your tuition fees. At least, I'm fairly sure that's how it works - it certainly costs them more than £3k/year to educate you!

Since last year, you can apply for the Student Loans Company to give you a tuition fee loan, in which case they directly pay the tuition fees you are liable for directly to your university. This money comes from the SLC, not your LEA.
King_Duncan
Rep:
?
(Original post by snu)
I don't believe that's entirely correct - the university actually gets further money from the LEA to fund your education, although I'm not entirely sure how much it is (I think it's probably in the region of about £5k per year), in addition to your tuition fees. At least, I'm fairly sure that's how it works - it certainly costs them more than £3k/year to educate you!

Since last year, you can apply for the Student Loans Company to give you a tuition fee loan, in which case they directly pay the tuition fees you are liable for directly to your university. This money comes from the SLC, not your LEA.
As Snu said, the actual costs per student are much more than £3070 per year. Just check what overseas students pay to go to UK Universities - it can be over £10,000.

I assumed that the LEA automatically paid the difference between the total cost and the £3070 we have to pay without you - the student - having to apply for anything, but I want to be sure.
whatever...
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well if I were you (and it seems like your parents can pay the £3070 for tuition fees) contact your Uni asap asking what happens if your parents pay if it's the £3070 for ordinary UK residence peeps or more. If it's more (which i think is unlikely) contact SLC today(!!!!) and get the student loan! I think you are able to apply for the student loan only rather than applying for the maintanance loan as well and if you're parents earn more than summat over £38,000 then you cannot apply for a maintanance grant.

I think overseas students pay more (obviously) but maybe cos all the UK and EU students only pay £3070? Not sure about that just a thought.
Dionysus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
1. The maintenance grant and the student loan are completely different things.
2. Unless you intend to present the Uni with a cheque for £3070, surely you need a loan?
3. Nowhere charges, indeed is allowed to charge, more than £3070 a year, so what 'extra' are you referring to?
snu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Dionysus)
1. The maintenance grant and the student loan are completely different things.
2. Unless you intend to present the Uni with a cheque for £3070, surely you need a loan?
3. Nowhere charges, indeed is allowed to charge, more than £3070 a year, so what 'extra' are you referring to?
Well, Buckingham University is a private university and charges more than £3070 a year, for example.

As long as you're on the "Home" fee status and not "Overseas", you'll be paying £3070. I believe this is something you select during the application process with UCAS, but I think you're also supposed to apply for funding even if you don't want to take the loan.
Lizj
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
RIght, I understand the question now. Whatever is charged over the £3070 tuition fees, you don't need to worry about. You never see it. What the uni are asking you in their letter is "Who is paying the £3070"? The answer is either you, your parents, or the Student Loan Company.
King_Duncan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lizj)
RIght, I understand the question now. Whatever is charged over the £3070 tuition fees, you don't need to worry about. You never see it. What the uni are asking you in their letter is "Who is paying the £3070"? The answer is either you, your parents, or the Student Loan Company.
That's what I wanted to be sure of. Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1497)
79.54%
Leave (385)
20.46%

Watched Threads