I'm not boasting - I need some advice! Watch

This discussion is closed.
Pencil
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
So back on topic...

Juxtapiped, are you sure you got 100%? Your Art teacher's opinion might be different to the moderators. Telling you it would be suitable for A2 coursework seems a bit 'over-the-top'. First of all, you might not even get in the Sixth Form - what happens if you only have 4 A*-C? Secondly, different teachers have different opinions and what might be 100% to this teacher could be 50% to another - I know because one of my A-level projects was given 80 (an A) by one teacher and 40 (an E) by someone else

I think this teacher may have raised your hopes when it wasn't necessary.
Suk
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Are you sure they didn't just saying something along the lines "oh this work is a2 quality work....infact even university quality work!" as i can't just see how u can jst skip A2 and go to university....
onlywee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i'd like to point out that it isn't uncommon to get 100% for GCSE art, all art students at my school gained 95% or more (with a few exceptions obviously) after moderation. I wouldn't get too excited about it! Also my bro got told the same thing as you with art, his art teacher was pushing him to do 5 a-levels and to submit his GCSE work for alevel etc. I don't think it's a good idea for you to be skipping sixth form. Actually it's a damn **** idea. Sorry.
PHIL
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by onlywee)
i'd like to point out that it isn't uncommon to get 100% for GCSE art, all art students at my school gained 95% or more (with a few exceptions obviously) after moderation. I wouldn't get too excited about it! Also my bro got told the same thing as you with art, his art teacher was pushing him to do 5 a-levels and to submit his GCSE work for alevel etc. I don't think it's a good idea for you to be skipping sixth form. Actually it's a damn **** idea. Sorry.
Don't be sorry it had to be said.

Phil

p.s. sorry for leading this conversation of track earlier
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
hi-i say wat u wrote on this website about gcse results-and i was just wondering if u no when the results come out?cause all me mates at me school has no idea when to go in-can u reply to [email protected] please as i am not a member of this site-thanks

gareth
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
hi-i say wat u wrote on this website about gcse results-and i was just wondering if u no when the results come out?cause all me mates at me school has no idea when to go in-can u reply to [email protected] please as i am not a member of this site-thanks

gareth
Thursday I think
Phil
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Well done for doing so well! I think it's probably a good idea to finish up sixthform and give you more options later - having some extra A and AS levels will really widen the range of things available to you - and you'll have a good time both in sixthform and uni. Also, by the time you do A level and submit your A level coursework, presumably that will be even better - and likely you'd get into a better exam or course. Goodluck!
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
We seem to be debating this guys case a lot, but he doesn't appear to be here, let alone contributing

Phil
scorpio
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
what the hell is wrong with you kid? if your coursework is that good, why on earth would you not submit it for A2. fair enough you will be the 'odd one out', but seriously, I don't think it can bother you that much? thats like saying no to having sex with a gorgeous woman!
pantryboy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi - sorry I've not replied at all - I've been away all day.

Anyway - what my art teacher said was a bit vague and I don't think he was in favour of doing it.

He said that it was a-level quality, and then said "in fact I could enter this now at a-level and it would get an A, so you could do another subject instead", and then went even further saying "some students go straight on to university; but i don't recommend you do as you'd miss out on the 6th form experience.

God know's if he is serious - he's very bizarre, and he didn't seem to say anything more about the idea.

The moderator came round ages ago and my teacher told me that no results were changed - so I guess I still get the 100%.

Sorry if I cam across as arrogant or anything; I was just curious as to wehat you would think of his ideas.
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Juxtapiped)
Hi - sorry I've not replied at all - I've been away all day.

Anyway - what my art teacher said was a bit vague and I don't think he was in favour of doing it.

He said that it was a-level quality, and then said "in fact I could enter this now at a-level and it would get an A, so you could do another subject instead", and then went even further saying "some students go straight on to university; but i don't recommend you do as you'd miss out on the 6th form experience.

God know's if he is serious - he's very bizarre, and he didn't seem to say anything more about the idea.

The moderator came round ages ago and my teacher told me that no results were changed - so I guess I still get the 100%.

Sorry if I cam across as arrogant or anything; I was just curious as to wehat you would think of his ideas.
That's all right, but you must admit it did sound kinda doubtful

Phil
pantryboy
Rep:
?
(Original post by PHIL)
That's all right, but you must admit it did sound kinda doubtful

Phil

Yes! I agree - I was kind of shocked when he went on about it - I don't think I'm that good really.

It was just a weird thing he'd said - wondered what u thought of it.
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 16 years ago
Wouldn't that idea be impossible?? Surely you have to enter a piece for AS-level and then a totally different piece for A2??? Due to this requirement would it not be impossible to simply bypass A-levels and jump to Uni??
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Leekey)
Wouldn't that idea be impossible?? Surely you have to enter a piece for AS-level and then a totally different piece for A2??? Due to this requirement would it not be impossible to simply bypass A-levels and jump to Uni??
That's a well good point, hadn't thought of that

Phil
pantryboy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Leekey)

Also - there wasn't much to my art exam - I can't imagine a whole a-level (or it might have been an AS) cold be obtained from a smallish GCSE exam.

I bet it was just his way of saying "do it for a-level"
It'sPhil...
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Juxtapiped)
Also - there wasn't much to my art exam - I can't imagine a whole a-level (or it might have been an AS) cold be obtained from a smallish GCSE exam.

I bet it was just his way of saying "do it for a-level"
yeah probably. Its unlikely that you'll be able to use your pieces/exam sketchbook for AS/A2 because the theme of the unit is unlikely to tie in with the theme of your work. Also at AS there are much more marks for the bullplop element of art ie choose an artist, critically appraise his/her work etc. and it is unlikely you would have done this at GCSE. You might be able to get away with submitting a few pieces here and there, but alot of your current work will be totally irrelevant to AS/A2. Its pointless going straight to A2 cos you wont get enough UMS for a decent grade. You should do it for AS at least, cos it is a nice break from essay subjects, but i reckon you'll still need to do most of the work.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (72)
17.65%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (259)
63.48%
Not yet but I am planning to (20)
4.9%
Not yet but I might (57)
13.97%

Watched Threads