The Student Room Group

What A-Level should I choose????????

I'm taking maths and further maths, what else should I take?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What degree are you thinking of doing, what other gcses are you doing and what other subjects do you like?
Reply 2
I don't know?? This would be a lot easier if I did :///
Reply 3
Original post by ions
What degree are you thinking of doing, what other gcses are you doing and what other subjects do you like?

I don't know yet?? I'm taking triple science, Spanish, P.E, geography and the required ones like English etc. I like P.E but I wouldn't like to study it as an A level
Reply 4
I know but I need to write my applications now and I don't know which A levels will help me keep them open
Reply 5
How would I link them all together for something in the future? Or just for my application it doesn'tnhave to be for me to actually do.

And it's my favourite and best subject, so I'm good at it and feel like i'll actually enjoy taking it. Don't judge me :wink:
Reply 6
Parents are useless, the only response is 'it's your decision' if I even get one, and any teachers I've asked pretty much say the same thing which doesn't help much.
You need to look at degree course entry requirements before choosing a levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do you enjoy? What are you interested in and what are you good at? If you thought hard where do you see yourself careers-wise? Are you more academic (stuff like maths) or more creative (art/textiles etc)? Think about these :smile:

Spoiler

Reply 9
Original post by Cait157
I don't know yet?? I'm taking triple science, Spanish, P.E, geography and the required ones like English etc. I like P.E but I wouldn't like to study it as an A level

Normally people who are good at maths also like chemistry and physics. Do either of those appeal to you? You could also do a language which would round off your skills well but I don't know how confident you feel in that, same goes for english.
Economics maybe?
physics? goes quite well with maths.. or maybe economics , quite a lot of people that like maths do it same goes for computing
or maybe business studies as quite an easy subject
Reply 11
A warning for you, depending on what you apply for for university and how relevant maths is towards it, they may not always take your further maths into account.

This is a direct quote from one:
We will not consider A Level Further Mathematics for candidates who hold A Level Mathematics.

I'm not trying to put you off further maths but just bear that in mind and that, especially since you aren't too sure yet about what you want to do in the future, it would be best for you to probably start off with 4 subjects and see how you find them and if they influence what you want to do before dropping one if you decide to do so.
Original post by Hutch28
A warning for you, depending on what you apply for for university and how relevant maths is towards it, they may not always take your further maths into account.

We will not consider A Level Further Mathematics for candidates who hold A Level Mathematics.

I'm not trying to put you off further maths but just bear that in mind and that, especially since you aren't too sure yet about what you want to do in the future, it would be best for you to probably start off with 4 subjects and see how you find them and if they influence what you want to do before dropping one if you decide to do so.

What uni was this?
Reply 13
Original post by GreatKhan
What uni was this?

This was from Sheffield(I've applied there this year) but I copied that off the entry requirements page for the subject I want to do so don't worry too much as that isn't the case for all subjects.
Looking at there physics page, for example, it says no such thing.
The fact that you're considering physics and economics means you probably won't have that issue but if you decide to go for a subject that isn't as closely linked to maths I'm just warning you of something that may potentially limit you in the future.
I really recommend writing down a list of potential degrees and careers(and what they'd require) you are considering or interests you and then just looking up what the unis want from you in order to get a bet idea of what subjects may be best for you.
(Just realised you aren't the person actually asking for advice but point goes out to all those trying to pick out which A Levels they should do)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by ions
Normally people who are good at maths also like chemistry and physics. Do either of those appeal to you? You could also do a language which would round off your skills well but I don't know how confident you feel in that, same goes for english.
Economics maybe?

Thanks but I think I'd prefer biology to those, there's just nothing careerwise that would make that work. I somehow get the grades in Spanish but I don't know much of it and I absolutely hate English. It's quite hopeless really, but thanks anyway
Reply 15
Original post by Hutch28

So would you say universities don't really think much of further maths?? This helps quite a lot thanks
Original post by Cait157
So would you say universities don't really think much of further maths?? This helps quite a lot thanks

I think it depends on what course it is. If you want to do maths then I'm pretty sure they expect further maths
Reply 17
Original post by Cait157
I'm taking maths and further maths, what else should I take?

These are some popular 4 subject combinations which allow you to keep your options open for reference:

Maths+Further Maths+Physics+Chemistry
Uni degree options:
Maths, Engineering, Natural Sciences, Physics, Chemistry etc.

Maths+Further Maths+Physics+Economics
Uni degree options:
Maths, Engineering, Economics, Actuarial Science, MORSE, Physics etc.

Maths+Physics+Chemistry+Biology
Uni degree options:
Medicine, Bio-related subjects(biochemistry/biotechnology/biomedical science etc), Natural Sciences, Physics, Chemistry, Biology etc.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Cait157

I wouldn't say that. At the end of the day, further maths is not an easy subject.
It really all just depends on the course you're applying for.
Anything maths/physics/mechanical/finance/economics would be fine with it.
It's for subjects that aren't too based on maths, where maths is a good subject to have but since you've already got the maths A Level, further maths would represent the same point so it's not really adding anything else and they'd rather have a different subject instead to consider you on.
You're stuck doing these subjects for two years, so whilst it's important that they're relevant, it's also important that you aren't going to hate it and that you'll do well enough to get where you want to go next.
Reply 19
Original post by Cait157
Thanks but I think I'd prefer biology to those, there's just nothing careerwise that would make that work. I somehow get the grades in Spanish but I don't know much of it and I absolutely hate English. It's quite hopeless really, but thanks anyway

Fair enough, dont take a language if you don't have the passion for it as it will take a lot of work to get your head round it. So yeah maybe biology would work, and so would economics if you think it might interest you!

Quick Reply

Latest