TV licensing - I'm still confused please help Watch

EmmaRebecca97
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
It's been a few months but I'm still really confused about the TV licensing situation for students in halls. My accommodation doesn't have a TV but it's fine because I watch most of my shows on Netflix, but I've been trying to read up on the situation for future reference in case I wanted to watch something on iPlayer and I still don't understand.
As far as I understood, the changes were to stop people watching BBC iPlayer without a licence, which seems simple enough. But, if you read into the situation for students, it says you should be covered by your parents TV licence if that's still your permanent registered address when you're not staying in halls, but when I asked my mum she said I wasn't covered by them, but I know for a fact they have a TV licence.
Also, it says you don't need a TV licenceif you're watching iPlayer on a device that isnt plugged into the mains. So surely that means if you're watching iPlayer on a laptop or tablet that isn't plugged into the mains you're within the rules? But that doesn't make any sense? How are they supposed to know whether your laptop is plugged in or not?
I just really don't understand because the whole thing contradicts itself and I don't want to end up getting fined (even though I think the whole detector van thing is more scaremongering that actual truth) but surely as my parents have a licence and that is still my personal address, and I'm watching iPlayer on my laptop/ tablet unplugged, I'd be within the rules? Even though I don't own my own personal TV licence?
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by EmmaRebecca97)
It's been a few months but I'm still really confused about the TV licensing situation for students in halls. My accommodation doesn't have a TV but it's fine because I watch most of my shows on Netflix, but I've been trying to read up on the situation for future reference in case I wanted to watch something on iPlayer and I still don't understand.
As far as I understood, the changes were to stop people watching BBC iPlayer without a licence, which seems simple enough. But, if you read into the situation for students, it says you should be covered by your parents TV licence if that's still your permanent registered address when you're not staying in halls, but when I asked my mum she said I wasn't covered by them, but I know for a fact they have a TV licence.
Also, it says you don't need a TV licenceif you're watching iPlayer on a device that isnt plugged into the mains. So surely that means if you're watching iPlayer on a laptop or tablet that isn't plugged into the mains you're within the rules? But that doesn't make any sense? How are they supposed to know whether your laptop is plugged in or not?
I just really don't understand because the whole thing contradicts itself and I don't want to end up getting fined (even though I think the whole detector van thing is more scaremongering that actual truth) but surely as my parents have a licence and that is still my personal address, and I'm watching iPlayer on my laptop/ tablet unplugged, I'd be within the rules? Even though I don't own my own personal TV licence?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37243332

I

n certain circumstances, students may be covered by their parents' TV licence. TV Licensing says four conditions need to apply:
  • The student only ever uses a device that is powered by its internal batteries (e.g. a laptop, mobile phone or tablet device) to watch live TV or watch and download programmes on iPlayer
  • They have not connected it to an aerial or plugged it into the mains
  • Their permanent address (outside term time) is their parents' home
  • Their parents have a valid TV licence

Read through that, it has a bit on how they detect stuff as well.

Doesn't make much sense I know but.. :dontknow:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

What are your favourite crisps?