The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
How are they actually getting more difficult, like in what way?
Original post by Popsiclez
It seems like the exam boards love to discourage people, anything so they can get more money in their pockets, and so the Government have bragging rights. Apparently if we were using the old Mark Scheme I'd actually be in the As. How much do they want to push us before we collapse? I'm actually dreading 2017 urgh, Why cant it just be 2018 already.

It's because as the years go past students were over-achieving than the government thought. Hence, the grade boundaries rising and the GCSE's changing.
Original post by B_9710
How are they actually getting more difficult, like in what way?

I think they mean content wise.
Original post by kkboyk
Because a larger majority of people are achieving better grades than the previous years, hence why the difficulty rises usually. Exams are supposed to be challenging: you are supposed to work hard in order for it to be easy.

You'll be fine as long as you revise early and start developing good study habits.

The GCSE class of 2016 had the lowest result in eight years, I think.
Original post by Fractite
The GCSE class of 2016 had the lowest result in eight years, I think.

I like to believe that i am not one of the low ones
Reply 25
Original post by retro_turtles

Lmao I love when you post, you're really calming and relaxing.
Reply 26
Maybe because GCSEs are piss easy

Yeah I think that there was a gap between the higher scorers and lower scorers (as in, very few people got a mediocre set of results like.. all B's.)

Everyone, as far as I know, did really well or really badly.
Lmao I love when you post, you're really calming and relaxing.

Elaborate
Original post by Fractite
Yeah I think that there was a gap between the higher scorers and lower scorers (as in, very few people got a mediocre set of results like.. all B's.)

Everyone, as far as I know, did really well or really badly.

same, a girl i know got an A* in maths then failed everything else
Reply 30
Elaborate

AKA I find your posts funny and nice to read, like when you helped me with my Art GCSE thread a while back...
AKA I find your posts funny and nice to read, like when you helped me with my Art GCSE thread a while back...

Oh right, thanks i guess! How's it going with the Art stuff?
Reply 32
Oh right, thanks i guess! How's it going with the Art stuff?

I think I'm starting to get there, its just quantity I'm lacking in now this weekend is gonna be non-stop art for me.
I think I'm starting to get there, its just quantity I'm lacking in now this weekend is gonna be non-stop art for me.

Good luck!
It seems like the exam boards love to discourage people, anything so they can get more money in their pockets, and so the Government have bragging rights. Apparently if we were using the old Mark Scheme I'd actually be in the As. How much do they want to push us before we collapse? I'm actually dreading 2017 urgh, Why cant it just be 2018 already.

So less people go to university, so tuition fees get lowered. Much fairer system, based on academic merit rather than finances.

You should be thankful, would you rather sit harder exams or pay thousands more to go to uni?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by norman786
Personally I think its a good idea so GCSE students find it a bit easier for the jump between A levels and GCSE

Yes but this new way of educating should be enforced on people who are going to infant school not the people who are already in secondary school. It makes it too much of a large jump.
Exactly how hard are we supposed to work? I’m studying for my gcses now and it’s so unfair because after I’m finally done with them and get a job, whoever my boss is I will 100% deserve to be in their position because of how much harder I had to work for it and how much smarter I will hopefully be! I’m 15 and I know people who break down and cry wanting to be moved down because they cant physically or mentally deal with it, and to be honest I can’t deal with it either it’s so stressful and I still have a year to go. Yes we should work hard but how far can you push people that many would still regard as being children.
Reply 37

Universities were finding it difficult to distinguish between candidates with high grades. For example, two applicants may both have 11 A* grades, but one might be a mathematical genius. How could we differentiate?

The 9-1 system identifies the top students and allows them to push their boundaries.
I agree that it's less of a jump from GCSE to A Level but think about all the content they decided the squeeze into GCSE which can over power the brains of the students who are the "guinea pigs" of the new GCSEs (such as myself) of course it's good to be revising frequently but because of this I barely find anytime to revise because we still haven't finished the course and exams are coming up soon. It's having a toll of students mental health. You have no idea how many times I walk into school with a load of stress or dead faces around me. I'm afraid the stress could lead to some serious consequences
Reply 39
Original post by gnewton12
Universities were finding it difficult to distinguish between candidates with high grades. For example, two applicants may both have 11 A* grades, but one might be a mathematical genius. How could we differentiate?

The 9-1 system identifies the top students and allows them to push their boundaries.

Anyone who achieved an A* in maths is capable to achieve a 9 if they put in a little bit of extra work. Its because it was far too easy for someone to come out with a clean sweep of 11 A*. It will be much rarer to find someone with a clean sweep of 9's.

Entrance exams like the STEP and extracurriculars like UKMT is there to identify the maths geniuses from the A* students so no its not because of that reason.

Latest