Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Definitely do Maths it's such a respected and useful subject
Purple
Badges: 15
Report 11 years ago
English Literature would be better for Law than English Language

However if you cant decide right now what career you would like to pursue then ignore Law because there are no A level specific requirements for a law degree and you wont be closing Law off by choosing science subjects so base your A level choices on Maths or Medicine.

French, Maths, Chemistry and Further Maths?
Jsuper
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
if you want to do medicine, you need chemistry and (the majority of time) biology

for mathematics, you need er, maths

there are no requirements for law, although I guess an arts subject is favourable

in your situation I'd go for maths, chemistry, biology and french.

you don't 'need' further maths get in to oxbridge
miiiiil
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Erm, for maths at oxbridge, you will need further maths if your school provides it, otherwise this raises the question of why didnt you do further maths if youw ant to study maths? They will decide you are not dedicated enough i imagine. I say maths, further maths, chemistry and biology or french (both if you are allowed). Perhaps you should try to narrow down your options a little though
Badges: 13
Report 11 years ago
Maths, F. Maths, Chemistry, English Lit, History.

Unless you enjoy French :ninja:
big?mark
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Holski)
I'm enrolling at 6th Form on Friday and still can't decide which subjects to study!

I'm stuck between:

English Language
English Literature
Mathematics
Further Mathematics
Chemistry
History
French

French & Mathematics are definites as long as my GCSE results are as expected. :rolleyes: And I can't decide between the English's, but I will take one of them.

Which four subjects would be the best combination?

Which is the best subject out of English Language and English Literature?

I have thought about three main career paths: Law, Mathematics and Medicine/Science, but can't seem to pick four AS Levels that will accomodate to all 3! :confused:

I can understand why you'd want to do Maths, but dont really understand French. A language is good for getting into law, but i know people who have studied law without a language. Its not essential, and if you want to keep your options open, i suggest dropping it.

If i were you, id do this...

1- Maths
2- English Lit (this will come in very handy for law)
3-Chemistry (chemistry is a must for Medicine, but also will allow you to study chemistry and chem at uni).
4-History (will be useful for law, and imo, more useful overall than French).

Tip to you though- try and decide if Medicine is really for you, because my friends, who are apply for Medicine, are studying Maths, Physics, Biology and Chemistry. Competition for medicine places is fierce, 1 science may not be enough.
If you decide to do Law- Do maths, french, history and english lit.
Report 11 years ago
Eng. lit is much more respected definitely. Maybe you could just do AS further maths?
ObaMartins9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I did Maths, FM, French, Economics and Chemistry AS levels.

If you are good at Maths, doing further maths isn't too difficulty if you're willing to work and work fast! I managed to get AA in the two!

French AS is hard, but good fun (i found compared to chemistry, which i have now dropped because it's so boring, but you may be different!) and if you're good, it's a good subject - and applicable to ANY career, unlike history.

However, if you want to do law, do history/english lit (which ever you enjoy more), but certainly do Maths and Chemistry, or medicine is off limits.

I would say Maths, Chemistry, English/History, French and FM (if you think you can handle it).

I got 3 A*s, 6 A's at GCSE and i handled the 5 AS's - got aaaac (c in chem), so it isn't too hard, but you'll want to drop one at A2 i guess.

Good luck!
miiiiil
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Somehow I don't think I would be able to manage taking even 5 subjects at AS Level, especially when the ones I have chosen are quite rigorous.

Eng Lit
Maths
Chemistry
History
French

??:confused: :confused:
I say this limits you to just law. I think you should get rid of history definitely for biology,
rkd
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You'll almost certainly need chemistry and biology for medicine (plus work experience, which you should start looking into) and maths and further maths for a maths degree. A fifth AS in History or French might be useful for Law, but you should be more than able to get onto a Law degree without it, especially as the others are respected academic subjects. It's not too much of a workload to do five at AS, especially since Maths and Further Maths overlap (I did seven, and my two best friends did six and five).
jet'aime
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hey,

First of all I think you really need to decide if you really are that extra bit more partial towards Medicine, because being the competitive path that it is, just chemistry would not be enough for you to get into Med School, you would probably also need Biology.

Most law schools honestly don't care about your AS/A2 Level background as long as you show that you are interested in it and have the basic skills to be able to do it at uni; one of my friends was accepted into Cam with a completely scientific background. If you still want that extra edge, and want to develop your analytical, reading and essay-writing skills, which would be really handy for law, then I would choose the History and English Lit.

Maths is great for both law and medicine (and obv for maths), so basically it's a tough decision between Law & Medicine!

For Medicine (or Maths) I'd recommend French, Maths, Biology and Chemistry

For Law (or Maths), I'd recommend French, Maths, History & Eng Lit

If it's any help, I want to do Law at uni and am taking French, German, History and double Maths.

good luk!
xxx
Neutral_Tones
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Law: No specified subjects really. But remember that you don't necessarily have to do a law degree to go into law - you can always do a conversion course for a year and then become a lawyer/ solicitor etc.

Medicine: Chemistry definitely, Biology is highly recommended and another science (incl. Maths) would be helpful. If you're thinking of Oxbridge for sciences/ medicine then definitely do three sciences (which include Maths.)

Maths: Well Maths... FM if you can.

I'm pretty sure the above info is correct, but feel free to contradict me if I'm wrong! Personally, I'd do Chem, Bio, Maths and FM, but go with what you think you'd enjoy and do well at! Those options allow you to do Medicine, Law or anything sciency (plus any courses with no specified subjects). Hope that helped and good luck with whatever you do!
Report 11 years ago
I ditto 'Janice', your choices may be dependant on grades, unless you're super-confident.
shootingstar123
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
What about French, Maths, Chemistry and either History/English Literature?
Neutral_Tones
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It would be ok if you can cope with the (large) workload! There's a good mix of subjects there, so it wouldn't be all essays for homework etc, but it still would be quite a lot of work. Do you think you could cope?
mit
Report 11 years ago
Surely they will let you take all those subjects since your results are great. You know you can always drop an AS subject if you feel that it's too much.
shootingstar123
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Just thought I'd let you all know that I enrolled today, in the end I decided to take:

English Literature
Maths
Chemistry
French

Thanks For All The Advice
You're welcome, glad you decided eventually!
Original Legend
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
^ Glad you made your mind up, my enrolment day was yesterday (30/08/07) and i chose:
Applied Business (Double AS+A2)
Art (AS+A2)
Applied ICT (AS maybe A2)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1119)
78.91%
Leave (299)
21.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed