Computer Science or Computer Engineering?

Watch
DeeplyThinking
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I want to study a degree that will involve computers and computer hardware as I am interested in building computers and other devices etc, however I studied Electronics at GCSE and failed it (my teacher wasn't great). I may apply to computer science but is this mainly software based?

There are other courses such as "computer engineering" which seem to include more hardware based around computers.

Should I try studying electronic engineering and/or computer science at university or are there any other courses I should look into?
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by DeeplyThinking)
I want to study a degree that will involve computers and computer hardware as I am interested in building computers and other devices etc, however I studied Electronics at GCSE and failed it (my teacher wasn't great). I may apply to computer science but is this mainly software based?

There are other courses such as "computer engineering" which seem to include more hardware based around computers.

Should I try studying electronic engineering and/or computer science at university or are there any other courses I should look into?
What A-levels are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
DeeplyThinking
Rep:
?
(Original post by jneill)
What A-levels are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maths, IT and Psychology
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Maths, IT and Psychology
Ok. So Physics is required by many universities for electronic engineering but by no means all.

CompSci is more about the academic principles behind computing although there are certainly significant elements of coding in it. Not so much the electronics though.

Probably best to read up on the detailed content of the various courses at different universities and go along to some Open Days or UCAS Fairs to get a better idea of what interests you.

(I wouldn't worry about your GCSE - it's not a problem).
username2471155
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

You will need Physics for Electronic Engineering and they do like Physics for Computer Science.
DeeplyThinking
Rep:
?
(Original post by Illimitable)
You will need Physics for Electronic Engineering and they do like Physics for Computer Science.
Most universities only prefer physics and don't require it
username2471155
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Most universities only prefer physics and don't require it
Yes, I know.
OturuDansay
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Lots of unis have different programs tailored to what they think is best for their students e.g. Durham CompSci is a lot more theory based but York CompSci is very pratical.
I suggest looking at the course contents of the universities your looking at for computer science and then computer engineering and see what you prefer.

Personally I'd go for COmputer Science, Ive just applied for CompSci and Maths
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (87)
14.03%
I'm not sure (29)
4.68%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (196)
31.61%
I have already dropped out (13)
2.1%
I'm not a current university student (295)
47.58%

Watched Threads