Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Source:
    http://www.mblog.com/gizmos

CHILDREN under 16 have been banned from the West End of London after 9pm unless accompanied by an adult under a new police curfew.

Scotland Yard said officers would pick up and take home “children under 16 found between 21.00 and 06.00, unless they are with an adult”.

The no-go area covers the heart of London’s tourist land, including Oxford Street, Leicester Square, Piccadilly Circus and Trafalgar Square.

Fifteen other areas across London, including Victoria and Paddington, have also been declared out of bounds to unaccompanied children in the evenings.

Organisations representing young children said that it was unfair to apply a blanket ban to a part of London that included many of the main entertainment attractions aimed at the youth market.

Sir Ian Blair, Deputy Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, said that the measures were “extremely appropriate”.

“We don’t want a blanket ‘this is miserable London’ process. We want to make it safe and enjoyable for as many people as possible,” he said. “I don’t think any responsible parent would like their 15-year-old unaccompanied in the West End after 9pm.”

Large parts of the West End have been designated “dispersal areas” under laws on antisocial behaviour in a move by police in partnership with Westminster council.

Police also have the ...CONTINUE READING http://www.mblog.com/gizmos

So people...what are your views on this?

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha...sucks to be them!

ReputationRep:
    Excellent! Keep the little carpet munchers out of the way.

ReputationRep:
    Great - the less kids the better!

ReputationRep:
    About smegging time!... though i still expect essex type girls will be roaming the streets dressed like hookers and won't be challanged...

ReputationRep:
    What the hell? I know loads of kids that age who go to Proms/Opera/other concert and they just won't be able to go. How stupid.

MB

ReputationRep:
    Overly harsh in my opinion. I just read it on BBC Online and my reaction was...

"eh?!?!"?!"?!£!?£!?£?!£? !"

Lizzy
    x

ReputationRep:
    Good, all people under 16 should be locked up anyway . Ah the arrogance of age .

ReputationRep:
    Good, they should do this more often. The West End is no place for kids to hang out on their own late at night. They may think they are tough in their own little scally gangs but will go home crying to their mummies when they get glassed in the face by some drunk.

ReputationRep:
    Im just about to turn 16 and i think this would be great, if i wanted a lift home i just say im 15 and free ride. Not bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rayban)
    Im just about to turn 16 and i think this would be great, if i wanted a lift home i just say im 15 and free ride. Not bad
    And free criminal record .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiMagicMan)
    And free criminal record .
    You dont get a crinimal record for being out after 9pm lol.

ReputationRep:
    they should do that montreal, its like full of annoying kids on the street.

ReputationRep:
    If I had God-like powers, I would just love to go around and lock up any kids I see hang around the streets making a nuisance. They deserve to be locked up and are useless good-for-nothings.

ReputationRep:
    That's brilliant news and it should be extended to the rest of the country. Shame the age isn't higher though.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2004
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.