The Student Room Group

If I drop out a second time...

Hi there. I'd just like to know about the implications of dropping out a second time.

I am aware that everyone is entitled to one 'grace' year period (which, I obviously used up by dropping out the first time)... but I'm not exactly sure if I have used it up. I dropped out very early in my first year, and did not accumulate any debts or have to pay tuition back...I only had to pay back my loan and grant, which I did. I owe student finance nothing for dropping out the first year. I'm wondering because of that, could this year be classed as my grace year?

Secondly, It's likely if I drop out this year it will be down to health reasons. Would (assuming that the above is wrong and they count last year as my grace year) I still be eligible for funding in the first year if I go back to university in the future?

TLDR; - Thinking about dropping out this year due to health reasons. Dropped out last year as well because I hated the course. Not sure if the fact I don't owe any money from the first time I dropped out means if I'm eligible for funding in the first year again, and whether I would get it if I drop out because of health.
Original post by Functioning
Hi there. I'd just like to know about the implications of dropping out a second time.

I am aware that everyone is entitled to one 'grace' year period (which, I obviously used up by dropping out the first time)... but I'm not exactly sure if I have used it up. I dropped out very early in my first year, and did not accumulate any debts or have to pay tuition back...I only had to pay back my loan and grant, which I did. I owe student finance nothing for dropping out the first year. I'm wondering because of that, could this year be classed as my grace year?

Secondly, It's likely if I drop out this year it will be down to health reasons. Would (assuming that the above is wrong and they count last year as my grace year) I still be eligible for funding in the first year if I go back to university in the future?

TLDR; - Thinking about dropping out this year due to health reasons. Dropped out last year as well because I hated the course. Not sure if the fact I don't owe any money from the first time I dropped out means if I'm eligible for funding in the first year again, and whether I would get it if I drop out because of health.

You would probably count as using your grace year at this point, however you can try and apply for compelling personal reasons to get some funding back.
Hi Functioning

If you have started year 1 of 2 courses, you have used your gift year already. You would be entitled to get a maintenance loan in year 1 of a new course then tuition fees and maintenance loan from year 2 on-wards.

You can appeal the one year you if it was due to health reasons. After you reapply when you have decided to return, you would need to send us a cover letter to explain your circumstances and evidence to show this such as Dr letters. If awarded, you would get full funding for the duration of your course.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending