The Student Room Group

Aerospace Engineering 2017 Applicants

Hey guys, thread for those applying for Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering for 2017.

A level Predicted:
Maths: A
Physics:A
Computer Science: A

My Uni choices, Bristol,Bath,Southhampton,Surrey,Nottingham

Firm: Bristol
Insurance: Surrey

Actual Grades:
Maths: (Pending)
Physics (Pending)
Computer Science: (Pending)

Good luck!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Similar to you -

My A-Levels: Maths, Physics, Computer Science, EPQ and Applied Science
My AS Grades: E, D, B

Not sure on universities at the moment.
Good luck everyone. Feel free to ask me questions :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by ViralRiver
Good luck everyone. Feel free to ask me questions :smile:

What Uni do you go/ what were ur choices
Original post by mahmzo
What Uni do you go/ what were ur choices

I went to imperial. Choices were imperial, Surrey, Southampton, Loughborough and Sheffield.
Reply 5
I went to imperial. Choices were imperial, Surrey, Southampton, Loughborough and Sheffield.

Not Bristol?? Also what grades did you get for AS / A2

Idk what uni to pick as my firm

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wasn't impressed by them. Went to an open day and it couldn't have been any worse.

A level grades in my signature. All A at as.

Edit: just realised signatures don't show on mobile...

A*A*AA
Maths physics fmaths chem
Reply 7
I wasn't impressed by them. Went to an open day and it couldn't have been any worse.

A level grades in my signature. All A at as.

Edit: just realised signatures don't show on mobile...

A*A*AA
Maths physics fmaths chem

Idk i was impressed, much better than southampton. The lecture room is massive too haha.
Its not worth me applying to Imperial, but i still did as i would regret if i didnt lol. I know ill get a straight rejection haha.

Anyway, out of my 5 choices what do you believe i should choose as firm / insurance

Bristol
Bath
Southampton
Loughbourough
Last one is imperial or Nottingham

Posted from TSR Mobile
I applied a while ago so things will have changed since then, but I really liked the feel of bath and Southampton. Of course there are so many factors, most of which are personal that will play into your decision.
I loved the look of leeds, sheffield, and Queens. I'm also looking at Loughborough and Bristol.

I got AAAB last, predicted A*AAB this year in Geography, Maths, Physics and EPQ

How tight are Leeds on predicted grades? They want A* in maths or physics...
(edited 7 years ago)
My A-Levels: Maths, Physics, Spanish

My AS Grades: B, U, C (Hoping to get a B or at a stretch A for physics with a tutor helping me since new re-formed A-levels mean U doesn't count towards final grade, but I know it'll affect my predicted grades and in turn, my offers )

My Uni choices: Nottingham, Manchester, Liverpool

The other 2 I was almost certain I was going to put Surrey and Loughborough, but they're both really competitive and with my weak AS grades, chances are it'll be hard to not only get an offer, but to get in as well so it may be a waste.

Thinking about Sheffield and Leicester (although really not keen on Leicester so I'm shying away from it).
BEng (Hons) Aerospace Systems Engineering with Pilot Studies

what does the aerospace system engineer mean....... is it any different o aeronautical engineering
Original post by DanMTSR
Similar to you -

My A-Levels: Maths, Physics, Computer Science, EPQ and Applied Science
My AS Grades: E, D, B

Not sure on universities at the moment.

what uni have you looked for
can you tell me uni choices
Original post by JaredzzC
My A-Levels: Maths, Physics, Spanish

My AS Grades: B, U, C (Hoping to get a B or at a stretch A for physics with a tutor helping me since new re-formed A-levels mean U doesn't count towards final grade, but I know it'll affect my predicted grades and in turn, my offers )

My Uni choices: Nottingham, Manchester, Liverpool

The other 2 I was almost certain I was going to put Surrey and Loughborough, but they're both really competitive and with my weak AS grades, chances are it'll be hard to not only get an offer, but to get in as well so it may be a waste.

Thinking about Sheffield and Leicester (although really not keen on Leicester so I'm shying away from it).

Sheffield has a great degree but it's intense and they're reducing recruitment for next year because of overcrowding so it's going to be quite competitive.

(The overcrowding is due to massive recruitment growth combined with greater retention of students onto the MEng course, an underestimation of the size requirements of the new engineering building, and part of one of the main engineering buildings being closed for big renovations because the engineering faculty has too much money to know what to do with. As a result your second and later years will be awesome though because the equipment and facilities available are and will continue to be top notch.)
Original post by Helloworld_95
Sheffield has a great degree but it's intense and they're reducing recruitment for next year because of overcrowding so it's going to be quite competitive.

(The overcrowding is due to massive recruitment growth combined with greater retention of students onto the MEng course, an underestimation of the size requirements of the new engineering building, and part of one of the main engineering buildings being closed for big renovations because the engineering faculty has too much money to know what to do with. As a result your second and later years will be awesome though because the equipment and facilities available are and will continue to be top notch.)

Yea :smile: I've really grown to love Sheffield recently. I was going to go to their open day tomorrow but couldn't get the time off work.

I've decided that I'm going to be applying to Sheffield instead of Surrey.
Sheffield is definitely known for it's engineering so it's a good choice, and looking into more detail at the course modules, I much prefer Sheffield. Surrey has too much mechanical modules for my liking and you only really start aeronautic stuff in year 2, and it's only in year 3 that it's more integrated/becomes more involved. Doesn't seem like there is much focus on the aerospace side of things until later on, so it's a bit off putting. I know that I'm gonna have to perform a miracle this year to get the grades, but I have my eyes set on nailing this year, so I'll just hope for the best.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JaredzzC
Yea :smile: I've really grown to love Sheffield recently. I was going to go to their open day tomorrow but couldn't get the time off work.

I've decided that I'm going to be applying to Sheffield instead of Surrey.
Sheffield is definitely known for it's engineering so it's a good choice, and looking into more detail at the course modules, I much prefer Sheffield. Surrey has too much mechanical modules for my liking and you only really start aeronautic stuff in year 2, and it's only in year 3 that it's more integrated/becomes more involved. Doesn't seem like there is much focus on the aerospace side of things until later on, so it's a bit off putting. I know that I'm gonna have to perform a miracle this year to get the grades, but I have my eyes set on nailing this year, so I'll just hope for the best.

To be honest the amount of aero content at Sheffield isn't that much better, we have a 10 credit module in first year then 40 credits in 3rd year semester 1 and 20 in 3rd year semester 2. There are a few other aero designated modules but the earlier on ones aren't really aero specific and in 4th year there's only one aero module in the avionics stream.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
To be honest the amount of aero content at Sheffield isn't that much better, we have a 10 credit module in first year then 40 credits in 3rd year semester 1 and 20 in 3rd year semester 2. There are a few other aero designated modules but the earlier on ones aren't really aero specific and in 4th year there's only one aero module in the avionics stream.

I am applying to Bristol as my Firm hopefully. I loved the open day!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mahmzo
I am applying to Bristol as my Firm hopefully. I loved the open day!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not to be mean but given your AS grades are you sure that Bristol and your other choices (other than Loughborough BEng) are realistic options? It might be a good idea to find a uni with ABB requirements as a backup.
Reply 18
Not to be mean but given your AS grades are you sure that Bristol and your other choices (other than Loughborough BEng) are realistic options? It might be a good idea to find a uni with ABB requirements as a backup.

Well bristol is as they dont even look at AS Grades. I also ended up applying to Nottingham,Surrey,Southampton and Bath. I have offers from Nottingham and Surrey so far. All MEng

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mahmzo
Well bristol is as they dont even look at AS Grades. I also ended up applying to Nottingham,Surrey,Southampton and Bath. I have offers from Nottingham and Surrey so far. All MEng

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't forget you also need to achieve those grades, best to have some safe options in case you don't get much higher than your AS grades

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending