Turn on thread page Beta

Should guys be involved with the "period chat" during sex education? watch

• View Poll Results: Should boys be included in the "period chat"?
    yes
    71.45%
    no
    28.55%

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    What do you guys think?

After I started a thread around Menstrual Cups, I was shocked to see how little some guys knew about periods and that discussing sanitary products was considered some how sexual and taboo.

Do you think guys should be involved so they understand periods a bit more and are given the opportunity to ask questions? Are you a guy wish you understood it a bit more? Do you think that the lack of conversation around the time of the month makes you feel uncomfortable about it?

Are you a girl who would have been embarrassed if guys where in the class during this time? Or do you wish they had been in a couple classes so they could understand what you go through every month?

I'd love to know what you guys think.

Name:  Untitled33.png
Views: 241
Size:  76.6 KB

I'm not sure what guys get taught about when the girls are having the period talk, but I think both sexes should be involved in both parts of teaching, though you may seperate them for questions since it could be embarassing.

There was a guy recently who rather famously tweeted that girls should "hold their bladder" while refering to tampon tax. This wasn't a joke. He honestly believed that periods were like peeing but with blood. This sort of ignorance can lead to awkwardness and other issues down the line whe two people in a relationship don't understand eachother's bodies and processes or when a single dad has no idea what to do when his daughter asks about the blood when she wiped or awkwardly hides a box of tampons from him.
    Also frankly there are some risks involved with periods which I think a) girls should be told about (I was never told about toxic shock) and b) it would help if guys knew the signs of.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    cHANGE MY VOTE FROM YES TO NO. i SAW CHART NOT CHAT

ReputationRep:
    In primary school we covered the basics of sex education, in which boys were taken to one room to compare winky lengths, and the girlies were taken to another room to discuss... lady things. We also had leaflets with funny diagrams describing puberty from both sex's perspective. I remember one diagram had a fella laying in his back with a massive erection with bunnies floating around him, to emphasise that sometimes we can be aroused for no reason.

In high school we had to learn about menstruation and hormones and stuff together in Year 7 or 8 science lessons anyway.

That seems fine to me.

We also had the occasional 'PSE day' at high school where we'd all spend the day discussing topics such as gender issues or how to apply for jobs and stuff, but no-one ever went to them.

Also, that poll is bound to be skewed by the female user population, who don't know what is discussed in the male version of the gender segregated talks (as the Anonymous user above shows) and would vote under the presumption that we don't know enough. Under that assumption, I can't see why a female would choose for males to not be included in sexy chat.

You don't know man, you weren't there.
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I think we should. It's important that both 'sides' understand each other. Especially when it comes to things like periods. Whenever someone brings up their period openly for whatever reason, there'll always be that one guy that's going "eughhhhhhh" or w/e. Perhaps education explaining what they actually are, why they happen etc., etc., there can be less of a stigma.

People shouldn't feel like they can't talk about their health, no matter what.

(Original post by Danny Dorito)
    x
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I remember in prmiary school, we (girls) had sex ed in year 5 and it was mixed in year 6, which did include a bit about periods.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davalla)
    In primary school we covered the basics of sex education, in which boys were taken to one room to compare winky lengths, and the girlies were taken to another room to discuss... lady things. We also had leaflets with funny diagrams describing puberty from both sex's perspective. I remember one diagram had a fella laying in his back with a massive erection with bunnies floating around him, to emphasise that sometimes we can be aroused for no reason.

In high school we had to learn about menstruation and hormones and stuff together in Year 7 or 8 science lessons anyway.

That seems fine to me.

We also had the occasional 'PSE day' at high school where we'd all spend the day discussing topics such as gender issues or how to apply for jobs and stuff, but no-one ever went to them.

Also, that poll is bound to be skewed by the female user population, who don't know what is discussed in the male version of the gender segregated talks (as the Anonymous user above shows) and would vote under the presumption that we don't know enough. Under that assumption, I can't see why a female would choose for males to not be included in sexy chat.

You don't know man, you weren't there.

"Sexy chat"???
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Yeah, definitely. As a woman, it'd be nice to have men know more about it. I think it would go a long way to reducing some of the stigma as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    "Sexy chat"???
    The sexiest of chats

When the female sex ed teacher looks you in the eye and tells you that you will notice your penis becoming bigger...ooh she's such a tease.

But then she later turns things around and tells you that you will also notice that you smell more... at this point you experience your first ever example of a female giving conflicting signals, and hence-forth you will realise that's all they ever do.

They're a complicated bunch, them females.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Yeah, because some people's anatomical knowledge is absolutely pitiful.
    Plus, we have to learn about their 'Adam's Apples', and 'wet dreams'.

ReputationRep:
    definitely. education is key, if it means we can understand more about what women go through.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah because it's a natural thing and men are going to have girlfriends/wives who go through them so it would be nice to know what's actually happening.

ReputationRep:
    I thought that this was about a FB chat between girls who are on their period -_-

A lot of girls complain about how boys have no idea about what periods are, and go on about how boys make sexist comments like aww she must be PMSing lol haha CHAD

Well maybe, if we had an open mature discussion about periods, what they are, how they affect women, etc. it would stop these comments. Or, boys could just be mature enough to research periods or whatever i don't know.

At the end of the day, it's a completely natural thing, so why should it be hidden, why not be out in the open?

ReputationRep:
    Tough one really, you get the ones who know a lot about it (dont take that the wrong way .-.) from education or whatnot and can share their opinions on... idk how the help girls handle it.

You get the ones too like me who know very little and want to learn a tad from others experiences (again dont take that the wrong way ). kinda like me, all i know is that its once per 4 weeks, it hurts, blood comes out. oh yeh it also generally causes emotional changes.

Then you get the (very few) idiots who just want to mock others and ask stupid questions. i havent seen it myself but that's cause i mainly go on here to talk about maths and the vote thing rather than parts of the life of the opposite gender (which i feel like i wouldnt need to know obviously)

P.S. I know this is a serious topic so please dont think im making fun in any way whatsoever

edit- eyyyy they made it so that emoticons auto convert to emojis when typing, no need to learn how to do that manually put them in

tl;dr yeah, maybe say in the post "dammit people, menstrual cycle ain't taboo, if you think that, get away before you become triggered" :P

No. This seems to me like another way to put men down from the feminist movement who are so focused on female superiority rather than equality and femininity these days. Why should we men have to learn about this? Do women have to learn about a males body? The answer is we shouldn't have to learn about this because we don't care about it. It is a natural process that a women should deal with themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    TRue also SCREAM QUEENS is icOINIC

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    Tbf an old ex of mine had a bigger Adam's Apple than I.

It was... frightening. I'm pretty sure she was half dude for more than just that reason (chest like aspirin on an ironing board, clit so big it was practically a micropenis, etc).

But yeah, people need to know stuff, and knowledge gained is better than knowledge lost (or indeed, knowledge that only half the population could pass a test on).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by hodobikar)
    TRue also SCREAM QUEENS is icOINIC
    Definitely is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It is a natural process that a women should deal with themselves.
    Considering that I have to deal with my girlfriend when she's being an emotionally volatile nutbag once a month, I disagree with you.

Men may not have periods, but we definitely indirectly experience them. And anything that we can do to make it easier for our significant others, thereby making it easier for us, is a pro rather than a con, no?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 2, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.