Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I dont like to brag (who am i kidding lol), but - with the help of SunBurnedCactus and a few others, i've helped myself to a beast of a gaming machine I challenge anyone to upload their laptop specs, not going to touch this (lol)

Storage: 240 GB
    Memory: 2048 MB
    Graphics: NVidia GF 7600 512 MB dedicated
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo (1.83 Ghz)

Add ons: built in Wireless networking, built in webcam, built in bluetooth, remote control (rofl), Windows Vista home premium, High Definition 17" screen.

And did i mention its one design awards

Did i mention i got £400+ knocked off the original price?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm and how much was it then

ReputationRep:
    All that without mentioning the price?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forté)
    I dont like to brag (who am i kidding lol), but - with the help of SunBurnedCactus and a few others, i've helped myself to a beast of a gaming machine I challenge anyone to upload their laptop specs, not going to touch this (lol)

Storage: 240 GB
    Memory: 2048 MB
    Graphics: NVidia GF 7600 512 MB dedicated
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo (1.83 Ghz)

Add ons: built in Wireless networking, built in webcam, built in bluetooth, remote control (rofl), Windows Vista home premium, High Definition 17" screen.

And did i mention its one design awards

Did i mention i got £400+ knocked off the original price?
    No offence but you can easily get better specs than that. Not mine but there's a toshiba that's
    4GB RAM, 320GB Hard Disk512mb NVIDIA GeForce 9700M Graphics, all those other things like WiFi etc and intel core duo 2 T7600 2.33GHz
    Sorry to bust yer balls

Oh and Vista Ultimate comes with it

ReputationRep:
    hehe, £889.99

And that toshiba of yours will cost a bomb!

ReputationRep:
    Surely you mean it's 'won' design awards, not 'one' them. And if that's the case, then the judges must have poor taste. Decent-ish specs, although I wouldn't ever buy one - it's probably going to weigh the better part of 4kgs, so is hardly portable (which is why I would want/need a laptop), and it features the last generation of graphic cards, ie. it doesn't support DX10 gaming et al.

Edit: By the way, does this thread have any point? Apart from the apparent 'bragging' about how good a laptop you feel that you've got (even though it's lacking in some/many respects)?

ReputationRep:
    37927 and linka1 have gone awfully quiet now i've mentioned the price

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angel Interceptor)
    Surely you mean it's 'won' design awards, not 'one' them. And if that's the case, then the judges must have poor taste. Decent-ish specs, although I wouldn't ever buy one - it's probably going to weigh the better part of 4kgs, so is hardly portable (which is why I would want/need a laptop), and it features the last generation of graphic cards, ie. it doesn't support DX10 gaming et al.

Edit: By the way, does this thread have any point? Apart from the apparent 'bragging' about how good a laptop you feel that you've got (even though it's lacking in some/many respects)?
    Decent-ish?! :eek: You arent going to find anything even close for that price! And btw, it weighs 3.46Kgs (lol). I liked to think of myself as fairly built, so that shouldnt be much of an issue.

What did catch my attention was this talk of DX10. Im a complete noob, i wont deny it - but i thought windows vista took care of that? Also, how do you know mine wont support DX10 and where can i find which ones do?

Either way, im still chuffed with my investment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forté)
    hehe, £889.99

And that toshiba of yours will cost a bomb!
    Any chance you share where u got that from mate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forté)
    What did catch my attention was this talk of DX10. Im a complete noob, i wont deny it - but i thought windows vista took care of that? Also, how do you know mine wont support DX10 and where can i find which ones do?
    The graphics card in the laptop does not support DX10. Simple really.
    It will only use DX9.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forté)
    Decent-ish?! :eek: You arent going to find anything even close for that price! And btw, it weighs 3.46Kgs (lol). I liked to think of myself as fairly built, so that shouldnt be much of an issue.

Either way, im still chuffed with my investment
    Yes, decent-ish - there are much swifter processors out there (you can get laptops with processors up to 2.6GHz, 4MB cache, 800MHz FSB), 4GB RAM, twin 250GB hard disks, twin graphics cards, etc, so yes, your laptop has decent-ish specs by comparison. If I had the time, then I'd find a better laptop for that pricepoint, but I'm afraid I'm busy. Plus, if I was buying a new laptop, then I'd get a massive discount by haggling and paying 'cash in hand' at one of the shops on Tottenham Court Road, London - have always had great service from those shops in the past.

I'm a fairly built chap myself, but I wouldn't ever want to lug around anything more than about 2.5kgs or so, as it becomes a chore. For me, laptops are about being portable, not for gaming (although I'm hardly a gamer either), but so long as you're willing to lug it around, plus it's power brick (hence I said the better part of 4kgs, as I assumed that this wouldn't have amazing battery life), then that's all that counts.

DavieC answered your question about DX10 - Google/Wikipedia it if you want more info.

You still failed to answer the question I posed as to what the point of this thread was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ali07)
    Any chance you share where u got that from mate?
    I Haggled at my local Currys outlet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angel Interceptor)
    Yes, decent-ish - there are much swifter processors out there (you can get laptops with processors up to 2.6GHz, 4MB cache, 800MHz FSB), 4GB RAM, twin 250GB hard disks, twin graphics cards, etc, so yes, your laptop has decent-ish specs by comparison. If I had the time, then I'd find a better laptop for that pricepoint, but I'm afraid I'm busy. Plus, if I was buying a new laptop, then I'd get a massive discount by haggling and paying 'cash in hand' at one of the shops on Tottenham Court Road, London - have always had great service from those shops in the past.

I'm a fairly built chap myself, but I wouldn't ever want to lug around anything more than about 2.5kgs or so, as it becomes a chore. For me, laptops are about being portable, not for gaming (although I'm hardly a gamer either), but so long as you're willing to lug it around, plus it's power brick (hence I said the better part of 4kgs, as I assumed that this wouldn't have amazing battery life), then that's all that counts.

DavieC answered your question about DX10 - Google/Wikipedia it if you want more info.

You still failed to answer the question I posed as to what the point of this thread was.
    Fair enough. I seem to have touched on a raw nerve, but meh.

Can i just ask, is the graphics card something i should worry about? And is there anyway of me upgrading it / making it Dx10 compatible, some time in the future?

ReputationRep:
    I'm curious as to why you would want Vista for games. There are workarounds for the DX10 lock-in, and it's more resource hungry than XP.

And, while everybody has different values, I feel that defies the point of a laptop (hang on, notebook.)

ReputationRep:
    Btw I ain't actually buying that toshiba was merely pointing it out, it's starting price is £1,175.00 would get a discount due to mums work but I ain't buying it lol

ReputationRep:
    Vista isn't 'great' for games and I doubt it's perfermance will increase to match XP within the time any of us start our courses. If gaming is quite high on your list and you have 2 gig of RAM sticking with Vosta wouldn't hurt too much, otherwise you could try dual booting XP for games. It's longer but you get to retain your gaming perfermance till better patches and fixes are out for Vista.

Also unless you have a 8 series GPU or you really need to Vista at this moment in time doesn't seem all that in my opinion ... though I'll still get it on any laptop I buy lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forté)
    Fair enough. I seem to have touched on a raw nerve, but meh.

Can i just ask, is the graphics card something i should worry about? And is there anyway of me upgrading it / making it Dx10 compatible, some time in the future?
    I just have a thing against pointless, unnecessary threads written by numpties. Almost all threads in Tech seem to ask for advice, are for discussion of a topic or are posting a poll to find out specific information, whilst yours is just an 'ooh, look at me and my sexy hardware!!!' thread, even though the hardware itself isn't exceptional at that pricepoint - something you would have realised if you hadn't explained that you were a 'complete noob'. I assume that your lack of answer to the question that I posed was because you accept that I am in fact correct on all these accounts.

The graphics card is a handy one, and will be fine for most games (obviously bar the DX10 games), but I don't know how if they'll run at full resolution on your screen (which I'm assuming has a resolution of either 1680 x 1050 pixels or 1920 x 1200 pixels) with any sort of decent framerates - you might have to play them without things like lots of AA, AF, etc, or at a lower resolution - not quite the 'ULTIMATE gaming laptop', then, eh? You can't upgrade laptop graphics cards (as they're often hardwired into the laptop itself). As Ethan said, there are some ways to get around playing DX10-only games, but they're not the easiest.

@Ethan: Yes, Vista is more resource hungry than XP, but once you launch into a game, you're taken out of the Vista 'environment', and hence the OS itself isn't going to have much/any impact on the state of gaming you'll experience, eg. framerates, etc. The only problems that Vista has been having with respect to some DX9 games is that the relevant companies haven't released drivers/patches for specific hardware/games, and hence you may experience a slight performance hit, but this should be corrected in the upcoming months as more and more companies finally get their acts together.

ReputationRep:
    it's not even that good...
    and if its supposed to be a gaming beast, and uve got a NVidia GF 7600? rofl.
    I would atleast expect 7900 or 7800....
    some people even have sli or crossfire in their laptops :rolleyes:

I guess we all have different expectations of what a beast is. Oh and ur processor is also ****.

And price is of no concern when you are talking about the ultimate gaming machine...

And to answer your question, you cannot upgrade the graphics on pretty much any laptop.

A much better description of ur thread would have been "The best laptop for its price." Calling it the ultimate gaming laptop makes me laugh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shatteredmedic)
    A much better description of ur thread would have been "The best laptop for its price." Calling it the ultimate gaming laptop makes me laugh.
    Agreed :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    actually unfortuantely i seem to have beaten forte, with this laptop that i will be buying myself sorry forte, its half the price and is similar specced.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834280004

Personally going to get this

TL-50 AMD x2 turion (yes processor is beat but can be upgraded to beat the 1.83 C2D not for a high price )

1gb ram (an extra 1gb ram can cost around 25-30 pounds now)

100 gb Hard Drive (has a spare Hard Drive slot so you cna add another one for cheap and turn it into a RAID system)

7600 Go (speaks for itself)

has 4 ram slots so you can add like a gazillion gb of ram.

17" screen and btw forte, all computer screens are HD basically.

So to price this up, system for around 400 pounds, extra 1gb ram, around 30 quid, extra hard drive (which will be RAID and be faster than 1 hard drive) costs another 40 pounds, which outs the system at like 470 pounds, and its only beat on the processor and missing 256mb on graphics card. Oh btw forgot tomention this laptop is upgradeable cpu, ram and hard drive so will be for a long time.

btw shame this sint the ultimate gaming laptop, but the top end ones would be alienware but thye are ridiculouly powerful and its unescary tbh.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.