Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ... and if so, what grades do they generally require?

I've heard that applicants to LSE usually have GCSEs of 9 A*s and higher, is this true or a lie? Because I want to apply there, and I have no such grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epitomessence)

I've heard that applicants to LSE usually have GCSEs of 9 A*s and higher, is this true or a lie? Because I want to apply there, and I have no such grades.
    For LSE economics, i know they openly state that 8 A*s or more would be standard, and that few offers (although still some) go to candidates with fewer

ReputationRep:
    Some courses at Durham, e.g. History require you to have a certain amount of A* grades at GCSE. I think this year it was 7. While this is an unwritten policy as far as I've heard they do enforce it in about 95% of cases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epitomessence)

Only straight econs has that draconian rule, I believe.

As for the point in question, sorry I can't help you. Just use common sense. Competitive courses that require high grades need to distinguish between candidates will use them more heavily. LSE economics and Durham history are the only ones I know which actually need x amountof A*'s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XIII)
    For LSE economics, i know they openly state that 8 A*s or more would be standard, and that few offers (although still some) go to candidates with fewer
    OK, thanks. I'm applying for Actuarial Sciences, hopefully they don't have that same policy there.

ReputationRep:
    i only got one A* at GCSE but still got into southampton, i really dont think it matters v much. I think they only really consider it when they're filling in the last places on a course and have to choose between applicants with similar A level results. thats the impression i got anyway!

ReputationRep:
    I fail to see how GCSES are an indicator of what kind of a person somebody is now. I know alot of people who had more A*'s than me but did worse at A-levels. Stating that you want a certain number of A*'s favours private schools that have the ability to teach up to A* standards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Horrorshow)
    Only straight econs has that draconian rule, I believe.

As for the point in question, sorry I can't help you. Just use common sense. Competitive courses that require high grades need to distinguish between candidates will use them more heavily. LSE economics and Durham history are the only ones I know which actually need x amountof A*'s
    It *is* Draconian! And I hate it! :p:

ReputationRep:
    As said above, Durham and LSE seem to be the biggest culprits for placing emphasis on GCSE grades although there might be others.

ReputationRep:
    Alright, thanks guys. What do you think LSE and Durham would say to 8 A*s? Would they accept them? Bearing in mind one of my A*s is in Chinese, my first language.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.