Choosing uni's and order of preference??

Watch
san01
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I really need help understanding the UCAS process.

I have visited different uni's and now going to put down 5 choices, however I really
thought you had to put them down in preference, as the uni's kept saying if you put them as your first choice then you should get an offer.

I now understand this is not the case

any help really appreciated
p0laris
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi,

Lots of people think you have to rank all 5 in order of preference because that's how it used to be done. So that might explain some older people talking about that.

What happens now is: you put 5 choices, and they just get sorted alphabetically. You don't make any indication of preference until you've received all your offers/offers and rejections. You can then pick a firm choice (1st choice) and an insurance choice (2nd choice). The firm is where you go if you get the grades required. If you miss the offer, you get your insurance choice - but sometimes your firm will take you anyway, depending on the uni.

So don't worry about preferences or anything until you have received offers or rejections from the universities you applied to. It is only then you pick a first and second choice.
san01
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by p0laris)
Hi,

Lots of people think you have to rank all 5 in order of preference because that's how it used to be done. So that might explain some older people talking about that.

What happens now is: you put 5 choices, and they just get sorted alphabetically. You don't make any indication of preference until you've received all your offers/offers and rejections. You can then pick a firm choice (1st choice) and an insurance choice (2nd choice). The firm is where you go if you get the grades required. If you miss the offer, you get your insurance choice - but sometimes your firm will take you anyway, depending on the uni.

So don't worry about preferences or anything until you have received offers or rejections from the universities you applied to. It is only then you pick a first and second choice.
Thank you so much for explaining
dominik_alk
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi, im wondering if you can change your mind once you get your a-level results, like if you got your firm choice, but you want to go to your insurance choice instead
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by dominik_alk)
Hi, im wondering if you can change your mind once you get your a-level results, like if you got your firm choice, but you want to go to your insurance choice instead
You can’t choose to go to your insurance choice if you change your mind. If your Firm choice accepts you, (even if you miss their offer), then your Insurance offer disappears.

The only way to go to your Insurance choice in that scenario would be to decline your Firm and try and get into your Insurance via Clearing.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by dominik_alk)
Just to add that if you now regret which order you put your Firm and Insurance in, you could phone them up now and ask if you can swap Firm and Insurance unis now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (519)
33.7%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (638)
41.43%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (313)
20.32%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.55%

Watched Threads