The Student Room Group

The point at which parents want you to have sex.

Scroll to see replies

If I was a parent I'd probably never want my son/daughter to have sex, but it is an inevitability as a human :P #Moooose
Original post by Sternumator
My Dad told me that my Mum was really happy when I got a girlfriend at 18 because she thought I might be gay.

What's wrong with being gay?
Does anyone else have parents who don't ever talk about sex but then they turn out to be pretty sexual themselves?
Original post by UWS
Try being Asian. I'm not even allowed to utter the word sex while at home...

Thissss. Middle-easterns also, and add on the religious factor too :colonhash:
Original post by Caledonite
What's wrong with being gay?

Well it wasn't my view, it was my mum's so I can only speculate. May be she thinks it is easier to be straight or may be she wants grandchildren.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Does anyone else have parents who don't ever talk about sex but then they turn out to be pretty sexual themselves?

.....do you mean you or the parents
[video="youtube;U5xkxTfVLSA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5xkxTfVLSA[/video]
Original post by RossB1702
I really don't think the birds and the bees convo is necessary because I believe people educate themselves on this type of stuff through ageing and common sense. I mean growing up from 10-12 I'd say by watching tv shows and stuff is where'd I familiarised myself briefly with 'sex'. Not a hard concept to take in it's always referenced on South Park, family guy, adult appropriate movies etc. Although I probably shouldn't have been watching family guy or South Park when I was 10.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Having an actual conversation still seems like a good idea to me. There's plenty of misinformation and stupid attitudes towards sex on the internet and in society in general.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Having an actual conversation still seems like a good idea to me. There's plenty of misinformation and stupid attitudes towards sex on the internet and in society in general.

Okay for some people I guess but im glad it never happened to be, seems far too awkward and cringy even thinking about it.
Okay for some people I guess but im glad it never happened to be, seems far too awkward and cringy even thinking about it.

You know what's even more awkward and cringy? Teenage pregnancy.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
You know what's even more awkward and cringy? Teenage pregnancy.

That's a fair point. Jut give them a handful of rubbers then. Jk yeah you'd have to talk to them then if you felt that concerned this was a possible outcome.
(edited 7 years ago)
At 12 my mom (piece of worthless whit that she is) declared that if I got pregnant then she'd kick me out and that she'd better not find 'toys' in my room.
I didn't even know about vaginas at this point! DX
Original post by SilverActor2033
At 12 my mom (piece of worthless whit that she is) declared that if I got pregnant then she'd kick me out and that she'd better not find 'toys' in my room.
I didn't even know about vaginas at this point! DX

That's... yeah...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Still virgin 5 years later XD
Original post by SilverActor2033
Still virgin 5 years later XD

:rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I grew up in a very open household, I brought my children up in an open household and has meant they are very comfortable in coming to me with any problems/concerns....they still get embarrassed/eeky at the thought of any of the older members of the family having sex though!

My parents are 74 and almost 76 and still talk to all and sundry about their sex life. Their funniest reaction was from a doctor in the stroke unit when dad asked when it would be ok to resume activity, apparently it's not a question they get asked that often in that unit and the doctor didn't know how to respond and had to get their superior to deal with it.

The reply?

"Perfectly fine but try not to move around too much"

My mum's reply

"My dear, at our age, nothing moves around too much anyway!"
For me it wasn't really a taboo subject it just wasn't brought up until i was around 14-15 and started going out. I think they always kind of new but the major moment was when my parents came home early from a dinner and heard me upstairs with a girl i had met at a party. I remember after that it went from a not talked about subject to constant jokes by my dad about my sex life
Original post by Crazysue1
I grew up in a very open household, I brought my children up in an open household and has meant they are very comfortable in coming to me with any problems/concerns....they still get embarrassed/eeky at the thought of any of the older members of the family having sex though!

My parents are 74 and almost 76 and still talk to all and sundry about their sex life. Their funniest reaction was from a doctor in the stroke unit when dad asked when it would be ok to resume activity, apparently it's not a question they get asked that often in that unit and the doctor didn't know how to respond and had to get their superior to deal with it.

The reply?

"Perfectly fine but try not to move around too much"

My mum's reply

"My dear, at our age, nothing moves around too much anyway!"

Damn Sue, you crazy!
Original post by Mactotaur
...not really. You could argue that incest producing children is morally wrong, because there's a higher than usual chance of deformities and genetic conditions. Apart from that, though, nothing wrong with it besides moral codes which date back from the time women were counted as much as people as sheep were.
It's not only about genetics though. One could also argue that it places younger progeny and siblings at a high risk of rape or abuse with little or no protection and almost impossible to prove that the incest was non-consenting.

Or are you going to say it's a parents right to groom their kids from birth in preparation for the day they want to engage in sex - with the full protection of the law?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by VikkiHanley
I completely agree with this, I think the 'talk' is completely unnecessary.

My mums not prude as such, but I wouldn't like to hear about her sex life so I extend her the courtesy of not hearing about mine!

I really don't think the birds and the bees convo is necessary because I believe people educate themselves on this type of stuff through ageing and common sense. I mean growing up from 10-12 I'd say by watching tv shows and stuff is where'd I familiarised myself briefly with 'sex'. Not a hard concept to take in it's always referenced on South Park, family guy, adult appropriate movies etc. Although I probably shouldn't have been watching family guy or South Park when I was 10.

I strongly disagree. I'll let the King Blues explain why:

Point being, letting media (South Park and Family Guy, are you ****ing kidding me?) dictate your sex education is daft because you don't learn about "sex etiquette" (or something like that); respect for other people, for example, is something that your parents are far more likely to impart than a cartoon is.

Quick Reply

Latest