The Student Room Group

Choosing A Levels

I am in year 11 and need to choose my A Levels for next year. I want to take a degree in Psychology and am thinking about taking French, Psychology, English Language, and Art for A level. I am aware that maths an science is a big part of psychology but I am expected a high B/ low A at GCSE for maths and a low B for Biology and most other sciences so I'm not sure I I should consider doing them? Also, is any science A Level/ maths A Level important when applying to do a Psychology degree?
Go on Google. And type psychology universities entry requirements

They will tell you what they want.

Are you studying phycology/sociology for GCSE?
Most students who want to study it always change their mind after alevels cuz of how boring it is.

Don't worry too much on options now cuz after results day you are given a chance to change it and make a final decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by _z_g_
I am in year 11 and need to choose my A Levels for next year. I want to take a degree in Psychology and am thinking about taking French, Psychology, English Language, and Art for A level. I am aware that maths an science is a big part of psychology but I am expected a high B/ low A at GCSE for maths and a low B for Biology and most other sciences so I'm not sure I I should consider doing them? Also, is any science A Level/ maths A Level important when applying to do a Psychology degree?

Having done Psychology A level, maths is fairly helpful, but since they are trying to integrate more maths into the syllabus it wouldn't be a bad thing as you would have a bigger advantage at that aspect of the psychology course. Universities may also prefer you to have a subject like maths because there will be a lot of maths during your degree, which might stand you in better stead over other candidates. But your GCSE maths result will give you a good indication as to if you should do it or not. A grade B or above is ideal.

Be careful as well, I have lot of friends who took science subjects to just get onto a particular course and it did not end so well for the majority of them. You need to have a genuine interest in the subject at A level because you might have quite a hard two years otherwise. However, I took physics A level at grade B for GCSE and I am now studying it at university, so it depends on your interest to be honest.

For a psychology degree (having looked at that route myself) they generally ask for one science type subject and a qualitative based subject (e.g. English, philosophy etc.) Have a look at Psychology degree courses on the UCAS website and you will get the general idea of what universities are looking for.

Hope this helped.
Reply 3
Thank you
Original post by danmurray43
Having done Psychology A level, maths is fairly helpful, but since they are trying to integrate more maths into the syllabus it wouldn't be a bad thing as you would have a bigger advantage at that aspect of the psychology course. Universities may also prefer you to have a subject like maths because there will be a lot of maths during your degree, which might stand you in better stead over other candidates. But your GCSE maths result will give you a good indication as to if you should do it or not. A grade B or above is ideal.

Be careful as well, I have lot of friends who took science subjects to just get onto a particular course and it did not end so well for the majority of them. You need to have a genuine interest in the subject at A level because you might have quite a hard two years otherwise. However, I took physics A level at grade B for GCSE and I am now studying it at university, so it depends on your interest to be honest.

For a psychology degree (having looked at that route myself) they generally ask for one science type subject and a qualitative based subject (e.g. English, philosophy etc.) Have a look at Psychology degree courses on the UCAS website and you will get the general idea of what universities are looking for.

Hope this helped.

Original post by danmurray43

Hope this helped.

Quick Reply

Latest