The Student Room Group

Queens University Belfast PGCE applications 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by LJMC
My guy said March before any places were confirmed for R.E. :frown:

Did they say anything to you about what happens next year or anything? At the end of my interview the woman said about things that I can and can't do next year and info about it all but I'm not sure if it was a hint that I had done well or if they say it to everyone! 🤔
Reply 21
What do you mean "things you can & can't do" lm21??

I asked at the end of my interview when we would hear & they said they didn't know because they didn't know how many places they would have, it depended on the budget. They said they would love to tell people by the end of January but they just didn't know. They also said they didn't know how many places there would be.
Reply 22
Are your emails going to your personal email or the online portal? I can't get on to my online portal 😑
Reply 23
Original post by cmca86
What do you mean "things you can & can't do" lm21??

I asked at the end of my interview when we would hear & they said they didn't know because they didn't know how many places they would have, it depended on the budget. They said they would love to tell people by the end of January but they just didn't know. They also said they didn't know how many places there would be.

They just said that I wouldn't be able to go back to my old secondary school next year to do one of the placements there and other things about what I'd be doing on the course next year! What subject had you applied for?
Reply 24
Original post by lm21
Did they say anything to you about what happens next year or anything? At the end of my interview the woman said about things that I can and can't do next year and info about it all but I'm not sure if it was a hint that I had done well or if they say it to everyone! 🤔

Ohh that sounds good! I was asking about places and timings so that's mostly what they were talking to me about after.
Reply 25
Original post by cmca86
Are your emails going to your personal email or the online portal? I can't get on to my online portal 😑

I've gotten emails to neither so I'm not sure! Did you get an email before the interview?
Reply 26
Original post by LJMC
Ohh that sounds good! I was asking about places and timings so that's mostly what they were talking to me about after.

I never asked about them she just told me about it so I'm hoping that's a good sign lol
Reply 27
Original post by lm21
I never asked about them she just told me about it so I'm hoping that's a good sign lol

Hopefully :biggrin: I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for everyone haha.
Reply 28
Original post by LJMC
I hope you get yours too!! She got an email telling her what to do if she was chosen but it stipulated that places were yet to be allocated.

So not really an offer but I think maybe a sign?

I hate the waiting too!! I want to be put out of my misery either way haha

Thanks, I really want a place so much. Yes I got the same email! I wonder how long we will have to wait to find out....last year on TSR it seemed like they had to wait a good 4 or 5 months before getting a response. I hope that's not the case this year. How did your interview go? :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by pinash91
Thanks, I really want a place so much. Yes I got the same email! I wonder how long we will have to wait to find out....last year on TSR it seemed like they had to wait a good 4 or 5 months before getting a response. I hope that's not the case this year. How did your interview go? :smile:

Ya I finally got that email too!! I was bricking it. I really want a place too but don't think I'm going to get it - my interview was a bit of a disaster to be honest. I think I focused too much on learning about the course and then when the questions were more general I panicked! But at least I'll know what to expect next time?

How was yours?

The interviewer told me it would be about March before anyone finds out - so I'm not really expecting anything until then. Though I would love to get word sooner rather than later. Especially if I didn't get it - so that I can plan for next year!
Reply 30
Are these emails going to your private email or your Queens portal? X
Reply 31
Original post by cmca86
Are these emails going to your private email or your Queens portal? X

Private email! But my came like 2 weeks after my friends so i wouldnt worry yet! Probably sending it out by subject or something.
Reply 32
Hmm, but I saw someone here has applied for English (same as me) & they've got an email....maybe by surname or something?! I'll check again in a few days, thanks for letting me know x
Reply 33
Original post by LJMC
Ya I finally got that email too!! I was bricking it. I really want a place too but don't think I'm going to get it - my interview was a bit of a disaster to be honest. I think I focused too much on learning about the course and then when the questions were more general I panicked! But at least I'll know what to expect next time?

How was yours?

The interviewer told me it would be about March before anyone finds out - so I'm not really expecting anything until then. Though I would love to get word sooner rather than later. Especially if I didn't get it - so that I can plan for next year!

So was I, I've been working full time and volunteering all year. I've taught lessons in my youth club and been fine but the day of the interview I couldn't stop shaking. They definitely noticed as well, so embarrassing! Did you have a presentation as well? I was so annoyed when I went in and they said I could have used note cards, I'd memorised it! That's my thoughts as well we can always try again worse comes to worse and to even get an interview was a great achievement! My interview can only be described as not awful but also not amazing. I was sort of thrown when they asked about pastoral care I would struggle with and took me a minute to think.

Oh no, March?! Well at least now I'll know not to constantly be checking my application portal haha.
Original post by LJMC
Hi Dan!

Sorry, I can't really give you advice on science but I can give you the non-subject specific question that me and a friend got!

What are extra curricular activities important?

What would you be most and least comfortable with in a pastoral care role?

How would you inspire a child?

How would you bring your subject to life?

Why do you want to be a teacher?

How would you contribute to the schools extra curricular activities?

What are the qualities of a good teacher?

I focused way too much on my presentation and found that my answers to the questions weren't as good as they should have been so if I were you I would definitely dedicate a bit of time to prepping questions.

I don't know if the questions would be as general for science. But I was really thrown when the interview questions were so general. I was prepared for subject specific ones and not for these ones. So it'd probably be no harm to have a few answers prepared?

LJ

Thank you for the advice going to study some questions tonight hope all goes well
Dan
Reply 35
Does anyone know if they're still doing interviews?
Reply 36
Original post by lm21
Does anyone know if they're still doing interviews?

I know that the English department were looking to finish up before Christmas so I can't imagine they're still doing interviews.

Not sure about any other department (even RE, which I went for!)

Has anyone heard anything? It's mad how we're all kept in the dark!
Reply 37
I've not heard a thing, not even the emails that people deemed to be getting with general information x
Reply 38
This is the email I received on the 6th January and I interviewed for English. It seems like it was sent to everyone regardless of what subject you went for. I just want to know now.

"Dear Candidate Thank you for attending your recent PGCE interview. I am writing to inform you of the next stage of the process. There are still candidates to be interviewed so final decisions cannot be made at this stage. We will let you know the outcome of your application as soon as possible but please note that this may take a some time. We appreciate and thank you for your patience. In the meantime and in the event that you are offered a place, you may wish to familiarise yourself with this website and the type of documentation that we will ask for in this event: http://www.qub.ac.uk/sites/NewStudents/Postgraduate-UKandEU/ImportantinformationforPGCEapplicants/. Decisions will be updated on the Direct Applications Portal and you will receive communication from the University’s Admissions and Access Service who manage the process once a decision has been made."
Reply 39
Original post by LJMC
I know that the English department were looking to finish up before Christmas so I can't imagine they're still doing interviews.

Not sure about any other department (even RE, which I went for!)

Has anyone heard anything? It's mad how we're all kept in the dark!

I know I hate this waiting game! It's making me nervous as the weeks pass lol I'm hoping we hear something soon, the suspense is killing me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending