The Student Room Group

Withdrawing Application

I applied last year using UCAS 2016 and accepted an unconditional deferred offer as my firm choice. However, upon doing more research and getting slightly higher grades then expected, I've decided that I would like to apply elsewhere. I have contacted the university I accepted my offer from and they have stated that they have withdrawn my application, but there has been no update to the UCAS track 2016 system and I am beginning to worry a little as I want to get my new app off asap. Does anyone know how long it should take for the UCAS track system to update or does it not update at all? It has been 48 hours now!

I would be grateful if anyone could help just answer my questions as I am slightly confused and worried :frown:)
(edited 7 years ago)
The only people who can accurately answer your question is UCAS. Give them a call and see what they say. I had to call them a few years ago when I had applied and they knew how to sort out my situation.
I would contact UCAS directly.
In my experience they tend to be pretty slow at updating things on Track, in comparison to how quickly the universities themselves are making the decisions. However if you're concerned, its better to check with them.
Original post by jemmaaa0853
I would contact UCAS directly.
In my experience they tend to be pretty slow at updating things on Track, in comparison to how quickly the universities themselves are making the decisions. However if you're concerned, its better to check with them.

UCAS don't have anything to do with delaying updates to Track - updates sent by a university will show on Track instantly. The delays are with universities sending updates to UCAS.

Original post by Khanthebrit
I applied last year using UCAS 2016 and accepted an unconditional deferred offer as my firm choice. However, upon doing more research and getting slightly higher grades then expected, I've decided that I would like to apply elsewhere. I have contacted the university I accepted my offer from and they have stated that they have withdrawn my application, but there has been no update to the UCAS track 2016 system and I am beginning to worry a little as I want to get my new app off asap. Does anyone know how long it should take for the UCAS track system to update or does it not update at all? It has been 48 hours now!

I would be grateful if anyone could help just answer my questions as I am slightly confused and worried :frown:)

As explained - universities will send updates through to UCAS preiodically. Usually this will be once a day but for something like a withdrawal or rejection it will usually need to be approved by a second person before sending to UCAS - if that second person is away on leave or off sick then that can cause delays. Similarly if they have IT problems.

None of this should prevent you from submitting your Apply 2017 application - when UCAS receive it and match it to your previous application they'll contact you to give you the option to withdraw from your deferred offer or to cancel your 2017 application.
Original post by PQ
UCAS don't have anything to do with delaying updates to Track - updates sent by a university will show on Track instantly. The delays are with universities sending updates to UCAS.

As explained - universities will send updates through to UCAS preiodically. Usually this will be once a day but for something like a withdrawal or rejection it will usually need to be approved by a second person before sending to UCAS - if that second person is away on leave or off sick then that can cause delays. Similarly if they have IT problems.

None of this should prevent you from submitting your Apply 2017 application - when UCAS receive it and match it to your previous application they'll contact you to give you the option to withdraw from your deferred offer or to cancel your 2017 application.

Hi, thanks for the feedback everyone. I will get in touch with UCAS if there is no change tomorrow.

With regard to me submitting my 2017 application, are you sure it won't get cancelled? UCAS have sent me an email detailing what I have to do if I change my mind (see link):
https://gyazo.com/fe906ce9b04f3a20dbf5b685e4bb1c14
I just want to get the app sent of asap and I don't know whether the old track with my confirmed offer actually will update or not to tell me if the uni has withdrawn my offer.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi, thanks for the feedback everyone. I will get in touch with UCAS if there is no change tomorrow.

With regard to me submitting my 2017 application, are you sure it won't get cancelled? UCAS have sent me an email detailing what I have to do if I change my mind (see link):
https://gyazo.com/fe906ce9b04f3a20dbf5b685e4bb1c14
I just want to get the app sent of asap and I don't know whether the old track with my confirmed offer actually will update or not to tell me if the uni has withdrawn my offer.

Ring UCAS tomorrow - they should be able to withdraw you over the phone even if your university are dragging their heels.
Original post by PQ
Ring UCAS tomorrow - they should be able to withdraw you over the phone even if your university are dragging their heels.

Thanks for the feedback. My old track still says I am firmed to go the university I accepted last year. I would just like to clarify that it was an unconditional offer that I accepted so I'll ring up tomorrow and see what they can do. Will UCAS be able to still withdraw me from the uni based on an unconditional offer?
Thanks for the feedback. My old track still says I am firmed to go the university I accepted last year. I would just like to clarify that it was an unconditional offer that I accepted so I'll ring up tomorrow and see what they can do. Will UCAS be able to still withdraw me from the uni based on an unconditional offer?

UCAS can cancel your entire application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending