The Student Room Group

Driving unaccompanied on provisional licence

I have a UK and Irish provisional licence and am waiting for a test in both jurisdictions because my accom this year is miles from uni and there isn't any way to get there on public transport. Hopefully my test(s) will come up before then but there is the possibility that I will have to drive myself for a week or two without an accompanying driver to and from uni.

In Ireland the rule isn't enforced, but my question is if it is enforced in the UK? I am not in any way asking for recommendations on breaking the law as I am going to have to do it regardless (unless I want to drop out of uni in my last year because I can't get there) but wasn't sure if a harder line is taken on it in the UK?

Thanks.
TnV

Scroll to see replies

pretty sure that you need a full drivers licence to drive on uk roads.
Reply 2
yeah you have to have a fulll licence if unaccompanied I'm afraid!
Reply 3
It is enforced in the UK, if you get caught you will be in trouble.

Surely its not safe anyway if you dont have a full licence, do you really want to put both yourself and other people at risk?
Ordinarily I'd agree but not having a full licence does not automatically mean you are unsafe on the roads (unless you were tested and failed). In my case it means I am still waiting patiently to be tested.

Like I said I'm not condoning doing it, but I don't really have a choice.
Reply 5
Tarts_n_Vicars
Ordinarily I'd agree but not having a full licence does not automatically mean you are unsafe on the roads (unless you were tested and failed). In my case it means I am still waiting patiently to be tested.

Like I said I'm not condoning doing it, but I don't really have a choice.

No of course it doesnt make you unsafe, but it does make you an illegal driver

If everyone who was waiting patiently for a test started driving round unaccompanied I think we'd have major problems

Obviously if you're going to do it then you will anyway regardless of what people on here say, but you do have a choice, and you could choose not to.

Wont your insurance be invalid too if you have an accident? I just dont think its worth the risk really

BTW I just found this thread you might be interested in:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=146609
Reply 6
Insurance would be invalid and it's illegal - if you hit somebody, you're ****ed. Don't even think about risking it, it's really not worth it. If you got caught, I imagine you'd be banned before you even passed you test.
Thanks for the advice.
Tarts_n_Vicars

What makes you so sure you will pass when you're tested? Everyone thinks they're up to test standard otherwise they wouldn't be taking/ paying for etc their tests but the first time pass rate is actually less than 50% so there's more chance you'll fail and be seen as unsafe on the roads than anything. Not that I'm saying you definitely wouldn't pass but I don't think it's worth the risk!
Reply 9
And surely, the fact you havent taken your test yet means you're not the standard of a passed driver - hence it would be a bit of a risk to drive unaccompanied. driving is a skill that gets better the longer you've been doing it - one of the reasons people in the 17-25 age bracket are the ones most likely to have an accident and the reason why insurance premiums are so high.

sorry, dont mean to have a go, i just think its irresponsible for people to do things that (could) directly affect the lives of other people - that goes for driving without a license, driving without insurance, smoking around other people etc.
zillysteph
And surely, the fact you havent taken your test yet means you're not the standard of a passed driver /QUOTE]

Actually no..and they may be better than half the people on the road..but we get your point :wink:
Reply 11
Sync
Insurance would be invalid and it's illegal - if you hit somebody, you're ****ed. Don't even think about risking it, it's really not worth it. If you got caught, I imagine you'd be banned before you even passed you test.

Not only that but the other person you hit are screwed!
Driving without insurance, or without a license is absolutely incredibly inconsiderate. You may well be a "safe driver" but if you have an attitude where it seems okay to do that, then imo you shouldn't be on the roads. I was just as safe a driver the day before i took my test than i was the day i passed. Fair point, i'll agree with you entirely on that. But a technicality is a technicality and it only takes one mistake, not even on your part (!) and you're screwed! If you're a good driver, then good on you. But not everyone is and you can't make the decision for them to invalidate their insurance, as well as yours because you made the judgement to do something that's illegal for a reason!

A provisional license just means you are learning. It is NOT a license in the literal sense.

if you chose a Uni/accomodation you have no way of getting to, and assumed you would pass something that is circumstantial within a narrow window of time, then it's your own fault i'm afraid. How is everyone else in your housing area coping? There must be another way.

Sorry. Massive ramble.
But idiots on the road are one thing i can not, and do not tolerate.
My Uncle who is from Ireland did not have a licence for 10 years, even though he is a driver by trade which is backed up by yourself - "In Ireland the rule isn't enforced". Well you might need a full licence in the UK as my Uncle comes and visits via car so must of had to get one.

Try a google search for DVLA and contact them.
Also all of you go on about insurance, well he is from Ireland, which is seperate from UK so they have different ways of doing things.
zillysteph

sorry, dont mean to have a go, i just think its irresponsible for people to do things that (could) directly affect the lives of other people - that goes for driving without a license, driving without insurance, smoking around other people etc.

If most people who have had a licence for a few years retook ther etest, majority would fail.
Reply 15
The police have license plate number checkers now don't they? So when cars go past them they can tell who is insured and on what level of insurance etc. This is how they'd catch some drivers without a license driving unaccompanied I'm guessing.
Reply 16
In the UK everything is strictly enforced. You'd have to be unlucky to run into trouble, but the consequences are so huge it's not worth considering. If you have an accident, even if it clearly wasn't your fault, all damage may end up coming from your own pocket - and then come the driving bans, the fines etc.

I gather, though, that in Ireland a few decades ago there were such waiting lists for driving tests that some people were upgraded to full licences for nothing - so many of Ireland's drivers are perfectly legitimate, but never passed a test!
Reply 17
pikaboo
The police have license plate number checkers now don't they? So when cars go past them they can tell who is insured and on what level of insurance etc. This is how they'd catch some drivers without a license driving unaccompanied I'm guessing.

If you're driving a car that someone is insured on, it won't make any difference - but yes, I suppose that would be another danger if it's your own car.
Reply 18
It's unlikely you'll be caught. It's also true that if you ARE caught, you'll be disqualified for at least a year before you've even got your full licence, and given a hefty fine. I've no doubt you are a safe driver, but I would still say do your best to find an alternative solution.
Reply 19
You're even considering driving without a licence?! :eek: You will be banned. It's a completely crazy and reckless idea to even contemplate - don't do it. It is in complete contravention of the law, and whilst, in many cases, the law is an ass, I, like most people, am very glad learners cannot be unaccompanied on the road! Do you really want to risk not being able to drive for several years?! To be fair if you drive unaccompanied without having passed you totally deserve to get caught and banned, there's a reason people have to pass a driving test you know.

Latest

Trending

Trending