Do schools do enough to tackle bullying

Watch
username47781
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Title says it but do you feel schools do enough to prevent bullying?

Have you ever been a victim of bullying yourself?
doodle_333
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think it really depends on the school. Some do a great job and others don't. It's hard to find the right balance. Often the kids doing the bullying have a lot of their own issues and need support themselves, I'm not condoning bullying, but taking vulnerable kids and kicking them out of school is not the right answer a lot of the time. It's also very hard for schools to get a proper handle on what's going on with the majority of cases where the bullying is all name calling and smaller things rather than getting constantly beaten up or something. It turns into a he said/she said situation and unfortunately schools can't take action without evidence. You can't force kids to be friends and often a big part of bullying is the social exclusion factor.
Claire461
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Schools are required to have an anti-bullying policy, but the majority are not worth the paper they're written on.
Bullying has certainly increased since my children were in school, but some of my grandchildren have experienced quite severe bullying. It can be difficult for schools to deal with as sometimes it starts outside of school and spills over into school.
I had 7 children and there was a fair bit of bullying from other children and I had to go the legal route because of the school's failure to deal with it.
Dheorl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The fact that children still commit suicide due to it shows that clearly not enough is being done.

The school I went to would only do anything if you mentioned phoning the police, but even then it never had any lasting effect.
Willy Pete
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What can schools actually do now?

Punishing kids has been banned for years.
username47781
Rep:
?
Trouble is these days not much you can do to punish a child without a parent getting involved. I can say as someone who was bullied myself in school and nothing was ever done, even when I was once physically attacked, the one time I attacked back I got into trouble. Then again says it all because a few years later they closed my school down because of dreadful standards.
Fractite
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
From personal experience, I don't think schools do nearly enough to tackle bullying, but I'm sure they're consistently trying to improve (especially secondary schools).
username1539513
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rock Fan)
Title says it but do you feel schools do enough to prevent bullying?

Have you ever been a victim of bullying yourself?
Bullying won't stop until the victims of bullying start standing up for themselves; the school can only do so much.

I hate to be the one saying this but violence really does solve bullying in my experience

Before anyone gets down my throat about this, yes, I was a victim of bullying at secondary school myself
username47781
Rep:
?
To be fair towards the end of secondary school I started lashing out not that I condone it.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by doodle_333)
I think it really depends on the school. Some do a great job and others don't. It's hard to find the right balance. Often the kids doing the bullying have a lot of their own issues and need support themselves, I'm not condoning bullying, but taking vulnerable kids and kicking them out of school is not the right answer a lot of the time. It's also very hard for schools to get a proper handle on what's going on with the majority of cases where the bullying is all name calling and smaller things rather than getting constantly beaten up or something. It turns into a he said/she said situation and unfortunately schools can't take action without evidence. You can't force kids to be friends and often a big part of bullying is the social exclusion factor.
I agree.
Also, even in the same school, people can have different experiences, with some having had better experiences with dealing with it than others.
Clockrice
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No. Bully is allowed and goes on, the schools do nothing about it. In the end you are forced to be on a building with people you don't know or like so you get bullied. If there was corporal punishment then bullies should be punished or excluded from school, and the parents of the bully reprimanded by the police. In the end though children shouldn't be forced to go to school when they are being bullied.
Yaboi
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Lol no

if a kid is getting bullied they're pretty much gonna have to deal with it themselves, sad but it's reality.
Clockrice
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nirvana1989-1994
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hahahahahahahaha....no.
tr2140
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No they dont
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Spoiler:
Show

(Original post by Seamus123)
Schools are required to have an anti-bullying policy, but the majority are not worth the paper they're written on.
Bullying has certainly increased since my children were in school, but some of my grandchildren have experienced quite severe bullying. It can be difficult for schools to deal with as sometimes it starts outside of school and spills over into school.
I had 7 children and there was a fair bit of bullying from other children and I had to go the legal route because of the school's failure to deal with it.
Was just about to say, the law gets involved because it's violence so you might ring 999 or some local agency. Which isn't necessarily a bad idea considering the stupid kid can get arrested for throwing hot lunch on someone else. But what is the point of guidance counselors and school staff and security then? They need to do their goddamn jobs. Too many people throw their flabby arms in the air. And with children? That's disgusting.

This makes no sense. So if a kid has a physical disability or is bound to a wheelchair and getting bullied, how are they meant to defend themselves exactly?

Anyway school policy and legislature protecting children needs to be strengthened, is the only solution. The schools dont give a ****, end of. And I say this as someone who has never been bullied even.
chelseadagg3r
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Out of 4 schools, 3 being primary, I'd have to say kind of. My first and third primary school were good at preventing it, and the first was particularly good at sorting things once they'd happened, but my second primary school and my secondary school were awful. At both I was physically attacked, verbally bullied, left out of everything, and nothing was done. My parents got involved, and the headteacher was told about it, and they just didn't care. The kids weren't even spoken to. In secondary school, I was pushed in front of a car, had things stolen, and was constantly verbally bullied and publicly humiliated by some lad in the year above that was bullying me, and they couldn't care less. I think there needs to be more in terms of national standards, preventions, and protocols with regard to things like bullying. In that secondary school, I was actually bullied on 3 different occasions in years 7-9. I ended up changing the crowd I hung around with, and ended up changing my image and started smoking and things like that and it stopped, but that shouldn't have to happen
lostintrnslation
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
schools honestly do not give a **** about bullying. they are still more focused on the length of girls' skirts and students wearing trainers than they are on the mental wellbeing of their students...
Nirvana1989-1994
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by 0to100)
thought you died
What? :rofl:
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Clockrice)
Agreed. Issac Newton we bullied at school until he smashed his bullies face of a wall. He wasn't bullied again.
Hate to be petty but reported for inciting violence lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (86)
38.91%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (24)
10.86%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (15)
6.79%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (53)
23.98%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (27)
12.22%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
7.24%

Watched Threads