Is "Racist" the white N word? Watch

Mistletoe
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I came to this realisation. When someone from another race calls you a racist, it hurts, they are basically saying you are uneducated, stupid, xenophobic, hate-filled and worthy of contempt. So this word is equivalent to the N word now, but for targetting white people.

It's probably not as harsh as the N word, because it doesn't have a deep history of oppression, but generally it's only used on white people, so it is exclusive, and in the same way it makes a violent mob quickly rise up against you (though not that violent).

What do you think?
wolfmoon88
Badges: 21
Report 2 years ago
"Racist" as a term is not only used to describe white people... Many Asian societies have the most homogeneous societies on the planet and they are often called inherently racist as well.
Tootles
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Mistletoe)
I came to this realisation. When someone from another race calls you a racist, it hurts, they are basically saying you are uneducated, stupid, xenophobic, hate-filled and worthy of contempt. So this word is equivalent to the N word now, but for targetting white people.

It's probably not as harsh as the N word, because it doesn't have a deep history of oppression, but generally it's only used on white people, so it is exclusive, and in the same way it makes a violent mob quickly rise up against you (though not that violent).

What do you think?
I think people go too far with "social justice" and political correctness. When I've been friends with Pakistanis who proudly call themselves "pakis" and Jamaicans with many generations of slave blood in them call themselves "*******" - and this isn't just single instances - we've got a problem. Not because they use the words, but because we're racists if we use them.

Especially with blacks, descended from slaves. As my friend, a proudly self-styled ******, says: 'if you're black and you got slave blood, it's an insult to your heritage to deny that you're a ******.' He sees it as a badge of honour.

As for my own thoughts, they are that if something isn't true, it doesn't apply; if it is, it isn't an insult - so why make such a fuss?
_gcx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MossSide50)
Name one thing that black people (as a group) have stopped white people (as a group) from doing that they had a right to do?

For example, denying them the right to work, own a home, live in a certain area, get a just trial, an education, or use any public facility.

And I’m not talking about people “harming” people. A black person can come up to a white person and bash their skull with a rock because he doesn’t like white people but that is not racism, that is an individual acting as an individual and there is no system in place that will support his right to harm you, In fact, he will go to jail.

However, white policeman murder black people on a DAILY BASIS and get away with it because there is a SYSTEM in place that allows them to do it. (the courts, the police, the judge, the prison SYSTEMS).

Let’s stop playing word games.

White supremacy is Racism. Racism is White Supremacy.

White people are the ONLY people on the planet who have devised a SYSTEM to mistreat people based on skin colour alone. This SYSTEM embraces EVERY aspect of human existence — education, economic, entertainment, labour, law, politics, religion, sex, and war.

That is why black and non-white people CANNOT BE RACIST. We do not have a SYSTEM — the power or the institutions– that allows us to mistreat people based on colour.

Give me a break. Are you aware of the definition of racism that hasn't been arbitrarily manipulated?

To add:
  1. Racism does not rely on any external factors. It ONLY relies on the interaction between the two or more individuals or parties. You cannot group Africans into a single societal group. I don't get why people think society should be divided into groups of race. That is a childish, and frankly odd sugestion.
  2. What about countries where Caucasians are not the majority?
  3. Don't give me the ******** "oh Caucasians are the only race (you're grouping people based on race again) that has ever been systematically racist to another".
  4. We do have a system that allows people to mistreat others based on RACE/ETHNICITY. It's not "colour", because multiple ethnicities can have a different skin tone, and there can be variations within an ethnicity.

I see your world view as divided into groups of people categorised, and united, by their race. That's a delusional view.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

What do you think?
Racism applies to all races. It does not rely on one party being a majority, and the other being a minority. I always see that as a pretty uneducated claim.
username521617
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Honestly, the word is starting to lose all meaning. It's thrown around way too often and by people who don't don't seem to understand what it actually means. Every time I hear someone or something accused of being "racist", I just don't care anymore.

It's becoming an empty buzzword. And while it is frequently used to insult and to defame, the power it has over people, while significant in the mainstream at present, is starting to diminish.
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Lord Samosa)
Non-white people can even racist too. It doesn't just refer to white people.

You're just being a retard
Name one thing that black people (as a group) have stopped white people (as a group) from doing that they had a right to do?

For example, denying them the right to work, own a home, live in a certain area, get a just trial, an education, or use any public facility.

I’m not talking about people harming people. A black person can come up to a white person and bash their skull with a rock because he doesn’t like white people.

But that is not racism. That is an individual acting as an individual and there is no system in place that will support his right to harm you. In fact, he will go to jail.

However, white policeman murder black people and get away with it because there is a system in place that allows them to do it. (the courts, the police, the judge, the prison SYSTEMS).

White people are the only people on the planet who have devised a system to mistreat people based on skin colour alone. This system embraces every aspect of human existence (education, economic, entertainment, labour, law, politics, religion, sex, and war)

That is why black people can't be racist. We do not have a system (the power or the institutions) that allows us to mistreat people based on colour.

Oh the glorious irony that these two posts are posted next to each other.
Zargabaath
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

I’m not talking about people harming people. A black person can come up to a white person and bash their skull with a rock because he doesn’t like white people.

But that is not racism. That is an individual acting as an individual and there is no system in place that will support his right to harm you. In fact, he will go to jail.

However, white policeman murder black people and get away with it because there is a system in place that allows them to do it. (the courts, the police, the judge, the prison SYSTEMS).

White people are the only people on the planet who have devised a system to mistreat people based on skin colour alone. This system embraces every aspect of human existence (education, economic, entertainment, labour, law, politics, religion, sex, and war)

That is why black people can't be racist. We do not have a system (the power or the institutions) that allows us to mistreat people based on colour.

You're wrong and you don't know what racism means. That is all. xoxo
Galadrielll
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How the **** dare you equate minority (read: black) people calling out racism they experience the same as a white person using the N word. It literally makes no sense as the N word is racism.

Racism is a system of oppression that was invented by white people to benefit white people and justify millennia of violence against people of colour.

The N word is a racial slur that was invented by white people to demonise and denigrate black people as sub-human.

What do you think?
Lord Samosa
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by JohnGreek)
Oh the glorious irony that these two posts are posted next to each other.
Glad you quoted me, autocorrect always messes my sentences up :lol:
StrawbAri
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by _gcx)
Give me a break. Are you aware of the definition of racism that hasn't been arbitrarily manipulated?

To add:
  1. Racism does not rely on any external factors. It ONLY relies on the interaction between the two or more individuals or parties. You cannot group Africans into a single societal group. I don't get why people think society should be divided into groups of race. That is a childish, and frankly odd sugestion.
  2. What about countries where Caucasians are not the majority?
  3. Don't give me the ******** "oh Caucasians are the only race (you're grouping people based on race again) that has ever been systematically racist to another".
  4. We do have a system that allows people to mistreat others based on RACE/ETHNICITY. It's not "colour", because multiple ethnicities can have a different skin tone, and there can be variations within an ethnicity.

I see your world view as divided into groups of people categorised, and united, by their race. That's a delusional view.
Unfortunately these people are not capable of thinking outside their bubble of western society.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Galadrielll)
How the **** dare you equate minority (read: black) people calling out racism they experience the same as a white person using the N word. It literally makes no sense as the N word is racism.

Racism is a system of oppression that was invented by white people to benefit white people and justify millennia of violence against people of colour.

The N word is a racial slur that was invented by white people to demonise and denigrate black people as sub-human.
What do you think about countries where Caucasians are not the majority?

You are simply ignorant if you are only aware of Caucasian individuals discriminating against other "races". Google the situation of racism in Turkey, for example.
Ninagabriella
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Some of you don't even know what you're talking about because you have haven't experienced racism so be quiet because you aren't making any sense just gibberish
hodobikar
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Dandaman1)
Honestly, the word is starting to lose all meaning. It's thrown around way too often and by people who don't don't seem to understand what it actually means. Every time I hear someone or something accused of being "racist", I just don't care anymore.

It's becoming an empty buzzword. And while it is frequently used to insult and to defame, the power it has over people, while significant in the mainstream at present, is starting to diminish.
Yes I totally agree !!
Eunomia
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tootles)
I think people go too far with "social justice" and political correctness. When I've been friends with Pakistanis who proudly call themselves "pakis" and Jamaicans with many generations of slave blood in them call themselves "*******" - and this isn't just single instances - we've got a problem. Not because they use the words, but because we're racists if we use them.

Especially with blacks, descended from slaves. As my friend, a proudly self-styled ******, says: 'if you're black and you got slave blood, it's an insult to your heritage to deny that you're a ******.' He sees it as a badge of honour.

As for my own thoughts, they are that if something isn't true, it doesn't apply; if it is, it isn't an insult - so why make such a fuss?
I do not like the use of the N by anyone but you can't compare Blacks using it with non-Blacks using it. Similary you can't compare South Asians using the P word with non-South Asians using it. When a word is used to dehumanise a community, naturally some of them will want to reclaim that word to show that they are not ashamed of who they are. But only they get to reclaim it.
hodobikar
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Its is and there is history to justify it but its used so blatantly and freely through the entertainment industry it has almost become normalized .
hodobikar
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by WBZ144)
I do not like the use of the N by anyone but you can't compare Blacks using it with non-Blacks using it. Similary you can't compare South Asians using the P word with non-South Asians using it. When a word is used to dehumanise a community, naturally some of them will want to reclaim that word to show that they are not ashamed of who they are. But only they get to reclaim it.
I relate to this
Tootles
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The person in particular who I'm remembering had said he'd rather be called a ****** than anything else.

I'm actually not very well up on what offends people and what doesn't these days; I live in my own little world were all words are is ****ing words. And most of my family and friends are the same.

Not that I'm going to deny you the right to be offended. However childish is it to choose to be offended by something which is actually just a word. As for race itself, it's only a Big Thing because nobody has ever let go and stopped perpetuating the problem.

Spoiler:
Show
No, I wouldn't call it you. I don't greet blacks with 'oy ******' or whatever. I have, on the other hand, had people think I was Jewish (which TBF I do look), but that never bothered me. For the most part, I prefer to call people by name.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I feel like there should be some distinction between "n*gga" and "n*gger", since they have different meanings and context, yet they're often confused. During conversation, it seems that the word "n*gga", is more commonly used, and thus is used more casually. It, thus, does not carry the weight of the word "n*gger". Also, I'd argue that no-one owns words due to their nature. Words are not a physical entity, and thus ownership is impossible, and the claim of such makes little sense.

Spoiler:
Show

Evaded filter for clarity in post.
username2324315
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

What do you think?
Disagree completely. If someone called you a racist, you've obviously done or said something hurtful to someone else. If someone calls you the N word, you've done nothing wrong, and even if you have done something wrong, it's completely unacceptable to call someone that regardless of what they've done.

If someone thinks that being called a "racist" has the same undertones as being called a "n***er", then I don't even know where to start on telling them how much privilege it shows you have.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (99)
24.26%
No (309)
75.74%

Watched Threads