pamplemousse.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm writing my coursework basically on how good Mary I's reign was. I have some sources (primary and secondary), but can anyone recommend some good ones?

Especially historians or primary sources I might actually be able to use analytically- some of the ones in the textbook are just not overly relevant.
edanski
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've got Anna Whitelock's biography of her and it's peppered with primary source material throughout every chapter starts with an extract from her reign and it's pretty nice to read as well (I always find historical biographies quite gentle so you'll enjoy it too!) but it's pretty lacking on secondary source material, I think your best bet for secondary source materials is just use the perspectives of the historians who've written the books for your coursework :P that's what i'm doing for mine

The Whitelock book is on Amazon for a penny (plus £3.oo postage :s) so I'd just go for that!
pamplemousse.
Rep:
?
(Original post by edanski)
I've got Anna Whitelock's biography of her and it's peppered with primary source material throughout every chapter starts with an extract from her reign and it's pretty nice to read as well (I always find historical biographies quite gentle so you'll enjoy it too!) but it's pretty lacking on secondary source material, I think your best bet for secondary source materials is just use the perspectives of the historians who've written the books for your coursework :P that's what i'm doing for mine

The Whitelock book is on Amazon for a penny (plus £3.oo postage :s) so I'd just go for that!
Thanks!
pamplemousse.
Rep:
?
(Original post by edanski)

I just looked back at my notes and an article by Anna Whitelock is in there!! Great minds
edanski
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by pamplemousse.)
I just looked back at my notes and an article by Anna Whitelock is in there!! Great minds
Deffo tbf Mary is probably the most depressing and uneventful Tudor so not many can be arsed to write about her compared to like Henry VIII and Elizabeth I, I'm amazed you could find enough material to actually do coursework on her! xD
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (150)
4.91%
Uncertainty around my education (450)
14.74%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (341)
11.17%
Lack of purpose or motivation (424)
13.89%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (143)
4.69%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (185)
6.06%
Loneliness (263)
8.62%
Financial worries (111)
3.64%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.03%
Exposure to negative news/social media (139)
4.55%
Lack of real life entertainment (167)
5.47%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (269)
8.81%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (287)
9.4%

Watched Threads