Lost with no direction - Problem 2.

Watch
username2073307
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
A recent setback and realization has made me lose pretty much all my motivation to study and get a place at university, despite finding the perfect languages course.
(Please read my first post on the first issue, which will provide you with some background knowledge to help... https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...2#post68578162

After that ^, I've now got no motivation to really carry on to university - not because I'm lazy, but because I've just totally come to a dead end. Although finding the perfect course at university, I don't actually know what I want to do - I've got no job ideas waiting for me at the end of it.

After a chat with my mum, we sat through and listed what my passions and things that really "float my boat" are. Some people have pure passion and drive and just admiration for the subject(s) that they love - my boyfriend, for instance, is absolutely in love with Physics and Computing and loves to learn all about it - that's his passion, it's evident from the way he talks about a new bit he's learnt or a new section he's discovered.

I don't have that fire. I used to as a child, but I've sort of lost it now. We listed my passions, and there were only a few that I could think of - Sport and nutrition, martial arts, and music production. Evidently, there's no martial arts degree. They do a nutrition degree at Bournemouth University, but I don't do any A Level science subjects - I do English Language, Spanish, and Music Technology - and the only few universities that offer Nutrition with a foundation year are further away than Portsmouth, which totally ruins my chances of obtaining my black belt.

Alternatively, music production is something I have a burning passion for - and if I could have any job, it'd be producing tracks and DJing at festivals... but we all know the likelihood is as slim as making it in Hollywood, and many with Music production or technology degrees end up working in a shop on a low wage. It's not a job field likely to make me successful.

Which, leads me onto my issue.

What the hell do I do with my life? I've got a week to decide, and quite frankly, I don't have a bloody clue. I don't want to just accept and go head first into this languages degree (provided the grades, which are low, follow through of course), if it's not 100% my passion. After all, are languages degrees useful for a successful job and salary?

I've just hit a brick wall.
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Languages? Plenty of ideas for you, actually. It's not just limited to the bread and butter options of translator, interpreter or foreign language teacher. If you have a business idea you can market it to more countries, thus making it more competitive.

Btw I'd follow on from your other thread and say that you don't have to immediately go into study. You can defer. I'm very sure your dream course will not disappear next year or change dramatically. Besides, it's only a lack of belief stopping you from doing many things at once and doing well on all of them. Heard of that British athlete who studies Law and plays music in her spare time?
username2073307
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by shawn_o1)
Languages? Plenty of ideas for you, actually. It's not just limited to the bread and butter options of translator, interpreter or foreign language teacher. If you have a business idea you can market it to more countries, thus making it more competitive.

Btw I'd follow on from your other thread and say that you don't have to immediately go into study. You can defer. I'm very sure your dream course will not disappear next year or change dramatically. Besides, it's only a lack of belief stopping you from doing many things at once and doing well on all of them. Heard of that British athlete who studies Law and plays music in her spare time?
Do you think I should try and do a business course or module alongside the languages course?

I want to defer but my parents won't let me... that's true though. I roughly remember, it rings a bell. Thanks...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (173)
14.57%
I'm not sure (54)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (346)
29.15%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.95%
I'm not a current university student (579)
48.78%

Watched Threads