Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im just back from my holiday to Florida and i thought it would make me feel better to have a rant about how much I HATE airports and tell you how ****ty the journey home was..it was so awful i thought i could share it with everyone and then people could join in with awful travel experiences they've had and we could all get angry together joy! ok i apologize..its kinda long (understatement)..but you have to get the whole story to feel my anger...haha

So anyways we left for the airport at 10am on friday.Our flight was meant to leave Orlando around 3pm for Newark airport to then get a connecting flight to Belfast.So the trouble started when the whole of Newark airport was closed down because of weather for two hours and we then didnt end up leaving the airport until 6pm..it was a 3 hour flight to newyork..and our next flight to belfast was at 8.55pm..so you can see our trouble.

So anyways we thought it would be fine cos the plane heading to Newark was full of people from the UK needing to get a connecting flight so we were sure they would hold the plane 15mins.And yeh we were wrong...so we missed our flight to Belfast along with about 300 people needing to get flights. We then had to queue at continental service desk for about 4 hours (cause there was so many people who needed to alternative flights) and at 1.10am we finally got to the front of the queue when they announced that they would be closing the desk and we would have to wait until 4.30am..another 3 1/2 hours. As you can imagine there was some pretty angry people as no one could lose there space in the queue since most had to be waiting for 4+ hours and so just had to lie on the ground where they were at. So the staff all just buggered off and didnt return till 5am. We stood for another 2 1/2 at the desk just trying to get flights because apparently there as a problem and the booking wouldnt confirm. They couldnt even get us to Belfast. The only place in the UK we could get to was London so we would have to get a flight to London gatwick...THEN a bus to heathrow since there was no flights from gatwick to belfast and then get ANOTHER flight from heathrow to belfast. We didnt have an option really since we were told if we wanted to wait for a flight direct to Belfast we wouldnt get one until...wait for it....the 27th of August this was only the 19th.

Finally the flights were confirmed and we were meant to leave for London at 7pm that night and this was only 7am so we had to wait for another 12 hours at newark airport with no suitcases to change our clothes or toothbrushes to clean our teeth yucky. We finally got the flight at 8pm to gatwick and then a bus to heathrow and we were then going to get the flight to belfast at 11am our time. But things were going a bit to good so of course when we got to the check in desk at heathrow they asked us if we knew that we were only on stand by and didnt actually have confirmed tickets...i wanted to cry
    We stood arguing for about half an hour about how we had been told that our seats by someone in Newark that our flights were confirmed and we even had tickets bla bla bla..she disappeared for half an hour and finally came back to say that actually only one of us had a confirmed seat and all the rest were on stand by. We were royaly pissed off at this point since none of us had properly slept since thursday night and this was sunday morning..so in the end we had to cancel that flight and get another one..and then wait a further 4 hours...grrrr

Finally the flight came and we got to belfast on sunday evening over 48 hours since we had left..taken 3 flights..a bus, eaten 10 bags of peanuts and endured more "your liftejacket is stored under your seat" lectures to last a life time. We should have just taken a trip to Austrailia and back :rolleyes: We were finally back in N.I but oh no the fun wasnt over yet..when we got to belfast city airport we were told that our bags were at the international airport and had been lying there since saturday morning and had come on the flight we were originally supposed to get. We then had to then drive there and spend a couple of hours trying to track down all our cases. And just as the icing on the cake our digital camera had been stolen from one of the bags and we had lost all the pictures we had taken on holidays...talk about getting crapped on...AGAIN

Well anyways thats my story..thinking of writing a great novel on it :p: im sure your sorry you've lost 5minutes of your life reading all this crap...but hey i just wanted 20 of mine writing it :p:

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear
    ;console;

OK sharing a story that now thinking about it, isn't half as terrible as yours was but...

We were flying back from Australia and I needed to get back to London as soon as possible because I was missing some tennis trials and so I was a bit stressed. We got on the plane and I found myself sat right next to a Colin Farrell look-a-like :love:. So we were talking, he was really cool. 2 hours later, we hadn't taken off yet. Since it was like 3am Australian time, most people fell asleep (including yours truly) and I woke up another 2 hours later to the pleasure of being ushered off the plane. :rolleyes:
    So we had to wait in the airport for another flight, where I found myself seated next to this really obese man (who not only took up the whole of his seat, but half of mine too). No sign of Colin :sad:

ReputationRep:
    oh dear sounds fun lol. The woman beside me on one of the flights told me that on her flight coming over the guy she had to sit beside kept "touching himself" the whole flight and she didnt know what to do now that would have been awkward..

ReputationRep:
    Sounds pretty grim. I was once stranded in Paris overnight in an airport where no one could speak English and for some reason almost everyone around me seemed to be staggering around drunk. Finally they got an English speaker to do announcements but he made such a bad job of everyones surnames that his announcements were of no use to anyone.

ReputationRep:
    Woah that sounds awful The worst i've ever had it is on arriving in spain at midday and being told that they'd accidently left my case in london and it could take between a day and 2 weeks to come (i was only in spain for a week) so i stood in the airport grizzling at people for 5 hours and they eventually decided to send the case over on the 8pm flight.

ReputationRep:
    ohhh nasty..that happened us goin to Canada and our cases didnt arrive for 4 or 5 days so i had wear the yuckiest clothes given to me by the friends we were staying with...i couldnt object..i was only 10

ReputationRep:
    That is pretty bad, last year I went to Germany with the family to spend christmas with my cousins and other family over there, only Lufthansa or whatever they are called lost my luggage along with loads of other peoples. So I had to make do with what I had right up until christmas day when my case was delievered. Those few days sucked, but my bag arriving on christmas day was something like a christmas miracle.

ReputationRep:
    That sounds awful hope you had a nice holiday aside from that ;console;

ReputationRep:
    I did thanks Next year its a direct flight and travelling light all the way haha

ReputationRep:
    my journey out of moss side at 3am was probably worse...

ReputationRep:
    Flight to Spain got delayed six hours, because some important person wanted to get on. So they delayed the flight for him/ her, so we missed our slot. Boiling hot, no drinks cause they ran out, and we were told we could not leave the plane the entire time, that if we left then we would not be allowed back on.

Sorry to hear about your awful experience!

ReputationRep:
    :hugs: to OP and others. OP, your trip back sounds terrible. Thanks for an amusing story though - at least now you have an amusing and interesting story to tell for the rest of your life :p:

My sister's boyfriend was unfortunate enough that an airport went and lost one of his bags, and in that bag there happens to be his musical instruments/equpiment and he only got £25 compensation, which is not nearly what it'd cost him :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForumFreak)
    Sounds pretty grim. I was once stranded in Paris overnight in an airport where no one could speak English and for some reason almost everyone around me seemed to be staggering around drunk.
    Bloody typical

ReputationRep:
    Poor you :hugs:

One of my worst was when I was travelling Exeter-Lyon to see my boyfriend last October.

I had a free flight from London-Paris so I booked that first. Then I booked the National Express from Exeter-London. My boyfriend had told me I'd be able to get a train from Paris-Lyon when I landed. We then found I couldn't because I landed too late to get the last train. I then decided I would stay overnight in Paris at a nearby Accor Hotel (the group includes ibis and etap hotels for those of you who have stayed in them, they're pretty cheap) and then get the train down in the morning.

So I landed in Paris and went to get myself a taxi to the hotel. I had loads of people ask me if I needed a cab. "Yes, I want to go to this hotel." They kept on telling me there was a free shuttle to the hotel and allegedly telling me where the shuttle went from. Well, I went and stood in about 3 different places that 3 different people (airport staff) told me the shuttle was going from, only for it to never materialise. I waited for about an hour or an hour and a half and was getting quite distressed as not only was I getting impatient at the non-appearance of the shuttle I was also getting really annoyed at all these taxi drivers who wouldn't take me to my hotel on the grounds of this shuttle existing.

Finally I found one taxi driver who agreed to take me to the hotel. He took me to the cab (which was dodgy from the start, truth be told - the car was parked in an underground car park and I couldn't see a meter, meaning it was probably an unlicensed cab. Can't believe I was so stupid but I felt I couldn't go back now, I was desperate) and he seemed really friendly, chatting to me all the way. He sat in the front, I sat in the back (thank you Dad for that bit of advice - never sit in the front of a cab unless you have no choice). He dropped me off at the hotel and helped me unload my case from the boot. He mumbled an amount of money and I thought I heard "45 euros" but thought, "that's stupid, it was only a 5 minute taxi ride" so I gave him 10 and he said "no, 45". I should have argued the toss but I was tired and desperate (and stupid as well, obviously) and just gave him the money without thinking (why oh why did I get 50 euros at the bureau de change at the airport??? If I physically hadn't had the money at least I would have had that excuse).

When I got to the hotel reception desk I just burst into tears when I realised I'd been ripped off spectacularly. The hotel staff were really nice to me and everything but I still felt really stupid. I went to my room and rang my boyfriend to tell him what had happened and cried some more. Luckily for my nerves the rest of the journey (hotel stay then train down the next morning) passed without incident.

In a way I suppose I was lucky that all I lost was £30 (the guy could have been really dangerous for all I know) but it really was one of the worst journeys EVER.

ReputationRep:
    yikes, sorry to hear about that OP, sucks about your camera too, :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    I read all of that, which is quite an achievement :p:

Man, that journey sounds horrendous.

ReputationRep:
    Goodness that is the worst journey I've ever heard of, bet you were glad when you arrived home! I remeber being delayed 6 hours both ways when I went to Rhodes a few years ago and I thought that was bad enough!

The worst travel experience I had was a couple of months ago. i was staying in paris with a friend and decided to go and spend the day with a friend I'd made working at a youth hostel last year in a town near Dieppe, 120 km away from Paris. Booked my train tickets the day before. Then turn up at Gare du Nord on the day to hear announcements of "Les greves"- the train drivers had decided to go on strike. Luckily my outward journey was fine-got my connecting train ok. Coming back was a different story.

Got the train on time from the little town Eu to Beauvais, I got off at Beauvais only to discover that all the trains to paris that night had been cancelled. "No problem", i said to one of the police at the station, "I'll sleep in the station until the first train leaves in the morning" "But you can't do that, the station is locked between 10pm and 4.30am" "Oh. Where am i supposed to spend the night?" "There's a hotel opposite." so I cross the road to the hotel to discover the hotel's full. Go back to the station, panicking, my phone batteries dead and my phonecard won't work in the phonebox. i went up to another policeman and asked them what i was supposed to do. They told me to get a friend to pick me up, I told them that wasn't possible as my friend in paris doesn't drive. A taxi was out of the question as that would've cost around 500 euros which i didn't have!

I asked again, what am i supposed to do? the guards just shrugged. I'd already been harassed by some creepy men when id stepped outside the station so i knew it wouldnt be safe to sleep outside. i went back to the guards to ask them to help me. One of them offered to drive me to a hostel for homeless women when the station shut. Didn't like the sound of that but it seemed like my only option. I just wanted to get back to my friend's flat in paris as had had no sleep the night before.

i kept asking people in the station who were meant to be getting a train to paris that night what they were doing. Eventually i found a guy who asked me what i was doing and i said i couldn't get back. Got talking to him and he said he lived in paris and a friend was coming to pick him up and take him back. he rang his friend to ask if he had space in the car then turned round and offered me a lift. i'd only just met this guy but just wanted to get home so i thought if an opportunity comes to get back to paris tonight ill take it.

so i got in the car with 3 men and got a lift the whole way back, they even spent 40 minutes driving around paris to find the area i was staying in bastille) and dropped me off at my door. They didn't want anything in return. i offered the driver 100 euros but he wouldnt take it. I was so lucky to have met that one guy that night, if i couldnt speak french i wouldve been very stuck as no one i spoke to in the station spoke english. I don't want to make a long distance train journey in france now for fear of being stuck like that again, it's made me more determined than ever to pass my driving test!

ReputationRep:
    I think what gets me about French trains is that they seem to go so infrequently. On a separate occasion to the one I've already described, I was in Paris preparing to travel onward to Lyon by train. You would think that trains from one major city to another major city would go fairly frequently, wouldn't you? Say, every hour or at least every 90 minutes?
    No.
    My damn aeroplane was delayed with no explanation and we arrived in Paris over an hour late. If we'd arrived on time I would have had no problem catching my train. As it was, I missed it by five or ten minutes. I asked when the next one was, expecting to be told it was in an hour or perhaps 90 minutes' time. I was told it was at 1pm. It was 10am at this time. So I spent 3 hours sitting in a freezing cold station with a book and an iPod for company. I was NOT happy.

ReputationRep:
    My worst experience is spending 9hrs on the Dar-Es-Salaam airport floor...

Although, someone who went on that trip lost his bag on the way in, and ended up spending a week in clothes bought from the local shop (we were in a traditional village - had to be seen to be believed). When the bag finally arrived, it had labels on from Kilimanjaro, (we were on Zanzibar), so it seems like the bag had seen more of Africa than anybody on that trip!

ReputationRep:
    Fortunately, I haven't had a bad experience anything like most things mentioned so far. But I did have to stay away till two to catch a coach to the airport while in turkey. I'm also not particularly fond of 28 hour coach journeys!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 25, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.