This discussion is closed.
Christophicus
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Its all due to the credit card idiots who use one then rake in all the deals and then switch to another one. Sorry bout the pun. How selfish can you get? I'm not moaning or pinpointing anyone in particular but that money could solve many world problems.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3935671.stm

That averages out £20000 debt per person, this includes babies.
Whats_The_411?
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Oh well
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
My uncle had a £150,000 debt.
Cossack2004
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Widowmaker)
Its all due to the credit card idiots who use one then rake in all the deals and then switch to another one. Sorry bout the pun. How selfish can you get? I'm not moaning or pinpointing anyone in particular but that money could solve many world problems.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3935671.stm

That averages out £20000 debt per person, this includes babies.
Who is being selfish? Most of the money is merely peoples houses and car repayments......
jpowell
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
So we should all sell our worldly possessions and give it all to charity? Think how much your computer cost, sell it now and give the money to poor people. You have more than one set of clothes , that's just selfish, all you need is a bowl and a robe. Repent your evil capitalist ways now.

I think the problem with the levels of consumer debt currently is that is not sustainable, not that it is immoral.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Cossack2004)
Who is being selfish? Most of the money is merely peoples houses and car repayments......
yeah - most people's mortgages are £50k+
EconLou
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It's not suprising when the credit card companies change the limit of your card without telling you. I know someone who is 18 and has (without her knowing) had her limit lifted to £8000. That's just ridiculous, how on earth is a teenage going to be able to pay that off.
I know people should keep track of their finances but if you expect your limit to be £500 a month your used to knowing when you have got to this level.
Christophicus
Rep:
?
Well my parents don't have a mortgage, I give to charity and my mum used to work for the blind.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Louise_1988)
It's not suprising when the credit card companies change the limit of your card without telling you. I know someone who is 18 and has (without her knowing) had her limit lifted to £8000. That's just ridiculous, how on earth is a teenage going to be able to pay that off.
I know people should keep track of their finances but if you expect your limit to be £500 a month your used to knowing when you have got to this level.
Indeed, my parent's credit limit is £52k.

If they took advantage of that, there's no way they'd be able to pay it back.
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well my parents don't have a mortgage, I give to charity and my mum used to work for the blind.
Yay.
mobbdeeprob
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
Indeed, my parent's credit limit is £52k.

If they took advantage of that, there's no way they'd be able to pay it back.
There's no credit limit on American Express cards.
Christophicus
Rep:
?
Selfish is
sending your child to private school
going on ridiculously expensive holidays
buying mansions when you only live with one other person
buying extremely expensive pc's
buying unnecessary items such as yaughts, boats etc
burning money on that ch4 program
giving £100000 max to a person who lives in a house - bb5
Cossack2004
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
And? Whats the significance of that, you parents must either be exceedingly wealthy, paying rent (which helps nobody) or living in a council owned house which also helps nobody, people with mortgages also give to charity i think you'll find
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by mobbdeeprob)
There's no credit limit on American Express cards.
But no shops actually accpet Amex

(a slight exaggeration)
Christophicus
Rep:
?
No we are very poor actually, we live in a maisonnette.
mobbdeeprob
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
But no shops actually accpet Amex

(a slight exaggeration)
True. Hardly anywhere on the Continent accepts it either - the commission which Amex charge (for the vendors right of use) is meant to be extortionate.
Christophicus
Rep:
?
All i'm saying is that it is an astronomical figure (£1000 billion) considering we live on a small island and our population isn't that big.
_tobi_coker07_
Report 16 years ago
i know someone with a 30,000 debt and its tearing them apart--im neva getting a debt.
Christophicus
Rep:
?
I suppose we should blame the retail sector and inflation.
Cossack2004
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No we are very poor actually, we live in a maisonnette.
So what is you're point? it is predominantly the least welthy in society who are the most indebted....what is your point??? People who but mansions, yachts and exotic holidays arent in debt - the two points are utterly unrelated
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (42)
22.58%
Less motivated (144)
77.42%

Watched Threads