The Student Room Group

Get my parcel delivered somewhere else?

I want to order something from ebay but I don't want it coming directly to my door because I usually have my family members all enquiring what it is and asking me to show them. No it's nothing dirty, I just want to order a surprise present for someone so rather than get it delivered to my door is there a way I can ask the sender to send it directly to my local post office so that I can pick it up from there? Has anyone done that before, can that be done?

Any advice you can give me would great but sadly the option of having it delivered to a friends house instead is not viable... as I have no friends :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
I want to order something from ebay but I don't want it coming directly to my door because I usually have my family members all enquiring what it is and asking me to show them. No it's nothing dirty, I just want to order a surprise present for someone so rather than get it delivered to my door is there a way I can ask the sender to send it directly to my local post office so that I can pick it up from there? Has anyone done that before, can that be done?

Any advice you can give me would great but sadly the option of having it delivered to a friends house instead is not viable... as I have no friends :frown:

You might be able to get it delivered to a 'safe place' - a place such as back garden or where ever you specify to the courier. This depends on the courier, I think amazon do it. DPD also do it.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous

As mentioned above you could ask for to be put in a safe place, but I know DPD also give the option of changing the delivery address if you're out or simply need to change it and they can deliver it to local shops or such places which accept those sort of deliveries and shows you a map of the places nearest to you, but I'm not too sure about other couriers or Royal Mail.
depends on the courier and the seller

delivery to a different address is nearly always an option for sellers to specify and with various different couriers there are various options with alternative drop off locations .
You can do this thing where you inform the post office you'll be on holiday so it'll be delivered direct to their depot and you just collect it when you're "back from holiday".
Reply 5
Some sellers on EBay do a click and collect type thing to Argos stores, I've not read into it, or how reliable it is, but it's an option if the seller does it.
Reply 6
hezzlington & KaylaB - thank you, had no idea about safe spaces
zippyRN - thank you
Hamo2509 - wow I had no idea they could do that, thanks!!
Xellah - yes that's right, a lot of ebay stores do have the option to collect at argos, how on earth did I forget that? *facepalm

A huge thank you for all the answers, guys!!
As said above it depends on the sender. They are most concerned about fraud and suspicious of it being sent to other addresses. Amazon is easy and it has the facility to send it direct to someone else . Ebay is trickier asits at the dsicretion of the sender and they may be suspicious. They might be persuaded by a post office destination.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending