Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    When I'm alone in the house I tend to think out loud and talk to the dog. =P

ReputationRep:
    Times when I talk to myself:

1) The (VERY) few times I watch football alone (wierd, huh?), in response to a commentators remark about a player ("Yeah, he is damn fast!!!")
    2) When I curse myself out for doing something wrong (e.g. a math problem, forgetting to buy something at the shop)
    3) To remember something important someone said to me
    4) When things don't go my way and I look up to the heavens to ask "WHY?!?!"

Situations where I would NEVER talk aloud to myself

1) In public/amongst friends
    2) To an imaginary friend (not that I have any)
    3) To "voices in my head"

I'm sure most of you have examples of the first four I mentioned, however, if you do any of the last three, you need to see someone................

ReputationRep:
    I talk to myself loads. I'll just imagine a conversation with some people (people who exist in the real world BTW), and talk my parts out loud, and imagine theirs. Oh dear...

Just a note, Schizophrenia isn't talking to yourself, it's having hallucinations. The disorder where you talk to yorself is called Dissociative Identity Disorder.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by blackswan)
    I was about to say nothing...but that last half is a bit worrying, you need to see a pro to sort through some issues I reckon.
    Really? Because I do the same...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Do you guys really think its that serious? I do it loads in a day but I'm usually talking to someone who is a real person like my mum or something thinking back to something she's said in the past. [...] It can be quite weird have a full blown argument but at the time I imagine the person is there.
    I do all this. Fairly constantly. Whenever my mind is allowed to wander, really... which is pretty much all the time. I can't say I really imagine they're there, but it's as if they're there. They're clearly not there if I stop and think about it, but I never do think about it because I'm not actually aware of it.

I kinda like it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure loads of people talk to themselves and that it isn't actually a problem.

I'm notorious at planning conversations in my head, I recite my poetry in my head before I write it, I struggle to write or type something without saying it to myself before I do. Then I always make random comments at the radio or whatever, tell the kettle/microwave/whatever to hurry up, when a parcel guy arrived this morning just as I was about to leave the house I said to myself that I hoped he wasn't coming here.

People say talking to yourself is the first sign of madness, but if that were the case I'm sure I'd be in the mental institute. So no, I don't think that talking to yourself is a sign of anything (apart from possibly loneliness).

ReputationRep:
    So where do people think the line blurs between normality and, for want of a better word, abnormality?

Talking out loud to a pet is normal, right? I mean, what kind of person doesn't? Planning out, say, a telephone conversation is normal too, I guess?

What about talking out loud to people (real people) who aren't there, like I do?

If I hurt myself by accident I swear loudly, does that count as talking to myself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geetar)
    I talk to myself loads. I'll just imagine a conversation with some people (people who exist in the real world BTW), and talk my parts out loud, and imagine theirs. Oh dear...

Just a note, Schizophrenia isn't talking to yourself, it's having hallucinations. The disorder where you talk to yourself is called Dissociative Identity Disorder.
    Schizophrenia is mainly auditory hallucinations so you may as well be talking to yourself. Its not really Dissociative Identity Disorder because if it was then you would have no knowledge of talking to yourself as the two or more personalities are split and rarely cross communicate so to say. I'd like to see someone who had Dissociative Identity Disorder and was aware something was wrong.

ReputationRep:
    If you're actually having a conversation/argument with someone who's not there out loud and it's as if the person was there, then you might wanna see a shrink? Do you actually think the person's there though?

On the other hand, I conduct monologues to myself all the time if I'm upset - and sometimes I'd have a speech constructed in my head as if I was telling the person right now - everything I wanted to tell them. But none of this was out loud.

I do talk to myself sometimes, like if I'm writing, but that's meant to help your ideas flow

ReputationRep:
    It's just sorting out your thoughts, surely. I do it all the time! I also read something out loud to myself if I can't understand it. I think hearing it makes everything make so much more sense. Oh, and to add a humourous light, you talk to yourself because there is no one more intelligent around to hold a converstation!

ReputationRep:
    Everyone talks to themselves. EVERYONE.

Not out loud, but inside their head. Your doing it right now you're probably thinking 'That PhilMc's a ****'

Now your probably thinking '****, he know's I called him a ****'

Now your scared, of what I know.

... Or you're mad OP - its a hard one to call.

ReputationRep:
    I talk dirty to myself sometimes.

Oh ok really, i don't talk to myself...but i do "re-live" conversations in my head, like you say...and i think about what i would have said etc...and i have in the past caught myself mouthing the words i would have said...but not actually saying it, it rarely happens though.

I don't think you're crazy....if you were having a full on conversation like some schizo hot girl i saw on Heroes earlier on, then perhaps i would say you were weird.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Maddness

I do this increasingly often these days. Though I'm not talking to any imaginary being or having delusions I think it's gone a bit too far.

(Original post by irisng)
    If you're actually having a conversation/argument with someone who's not there out loud and it's as if the person was there, then you might wanna see a shrink? Do you actually think the person's there though?
    It's as if they're there in the heat of the moment like generalb said. Often I'll be having whole dialogues with that person constructing replies which I think they would make and shouting them doen which must look really weird if I ever got caught. Maybe it is a sign of lonliness or something.

ReputationRep:
    I sometimes say random words like 'lol' to myself if something's funny and there's no one else there to share in the hilarity. Then I curse myself for being so damned tragic.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It's as if they're there in the heat of the moment like generalb said. Often I'll be having whole dialogues with that person constructing replies which I think they would make and shouting them doen which must look really weird if I ever got caught. Maybe it is a sign of lonliness or something.
    Do you talk out loud or in your head?

out loud

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irisng)

No, I know the person isn't there. I just 'pretend' they are so I can act out a potential conversation.

How very sad/mad...

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.