Coordinate topic question! PLEASE HELP?

Watch
Sam S.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
the line l(1 )passes through the points p(-2,4) and Q(8,9).

a) Find an equation for l(1) in the form of y=mx+c, where m an c are constants. The line l(2) passes through the point R(10,0) and is perpendicular to l(1). The line l(1) and l(2) intersect at the point S.

b) Calculate the coordinates of S.
c) Show the that the length of RS is (Squared root 80).
d) Hence, or otherwise, find the exact are of triangle PQR.
IceCityRabz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
To start you off For a) m= y2-y1/x2-x1, and then think about the value of x for y=c in order to find c.
BobBobson
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
a) Use the equation (y-y1)/(y2-y1) = (x-x1)/(x2-x1) and plug in the values from the equation and rearrange.
b) If l(2) is perpendicular, it's gradient = -1 / gradient of l(1). Then you plug that m into the equation y-y1 = m(x-x1) with the value of point R. Rearrange and that will give you the equation of l(2), write it in y=mx+c. The point at which they intersect is when the part after y= are equal for both equations. So you just form an equation using that and solve it for x, then solve it for y by plugging x into one of the equations of the lines.
c) The length of RS can be found using pythagoras' thereom where distance^2 = changeInX^2 + changeInY^2. Plug in the values for how much x and y changes from R to S.
d) The triangle PQR can be split with the line RS to form two right angled triangles. (RS is the altitude from R). Work out the areas of the two right angled triangles and add them together. The area of a right angled triangle is = 1/2 * leg 1 * leg 2. The legs of a triangle are the non-hypotenuse sides.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (28)
13.27%
I need help researching courses (14)
6.64%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.27%
I need help with my personal statement (88)
41.71%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (52)
24.64%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (4)
1.9%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (16)
7.58%

Watched Threads