Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

I can't work out how to even shortlist unis to go and look at! I know for sure that I want to do sociology, go obviously somewhere that's good in that department, and somewhere with a decent lgbt scene. But I'm struggling to narrow things down.

I got an A in sociology AS, and B in theatre studies, so I'm carrying these on next year, along with ASs in Psychology and Health and Social, so obviously I'm not looking at anywhere like oxford and cambridge, but hopefully I should end up with quite a fair amount of points to throw at it.

Does anybody have any advice, as I said I'm struggling here just to know where to start...

ReputationRep:
    you need to decide whether you want to move far away or somewhere closer to home.
    also have a look at the gaurdian or something similar to see where is good for sociology, then look at those uni's and see which ones you like to course content of and go and look around those uni's

ReputationRep:
    I found it easier to Google for 'University' and the course name, in your case 'Sociology', and have a look at which universities it brings up, what they're like, where they are, and what their sociology courses involve.

ReputationRep:
    i face the same problem (im doing sociology too!)
    before my as results i expected high ones so i was looking at manchester and birmingham which are pretty goood

but now im looking at worse unis

i used the guardian university guide
    http://education.guardian.co.uk/universityguide
    and cross referenced with TQI
    http://www1.tqi.ac.uk/sites/tqi/home/index.cfm

ReputationRep:
    Go to open days, and nights out in the towns. Also, try and spend some time during the day jsut around the town. Doing that pretty much decided my top six.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.