Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniOfLife)
    You can switch schools (like turning off the computer).
    Was that a joke or are you seriously attempting to liken pressing a button to uphauling your education?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bunthulhu)
    Was that a joke or are you seriously attempting to liken pressing a button to uphauling your education?
    Merely pointing out that one can always avoid being bullied if one really wants to. Suppose a person enjoys this forum but starts getting bullied should they be forced to leave because otherwise it's their own fault? Of course not. Just as a child shouldn't be forced to change school to avoid being bullied. It doesn't matter how easy the change is to make - a person should never have to change because they are being bullied. And it is wrong to blame the victim for the bullying they receive.

ReputationRep:
    Merely pointing out that one can always avoid being bullied if one really wants to. Suppose a person enjoys this forum but starts getting bullied should they be forced to leave because otherwise it's their own fault? Of course not. Just as a child shouldn't be forced to change school to avoid being bullied. It doesn't matter how easy the change is to make - a person should never have to change because they are being bullied. And it is wrong to blame the victim for the bullying they receive.
    I don't really see how someone could be bullied on an online forum. If someone is being out of line there are moderators to warn/block/ban them. Of course a child shouldn't be forced to change school, I never said that. Unfortunately in real life we're not blessed with such effective forms of moderation

Everyone receives nasty comments from people on the internet, because I guess it's easy for some bored, immature teenager to do. But they're so clearly not personal, each of you has no idea who the other is and the comment holds no weight whatsoever, surely?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know it can get pretty intense, I've seen people make death threats, and I don't mean jokey ones either, asking for exchange of addresses. I mean I don't let it get personal, at the end of the day if your angry about something or something hurts you then walk away for an hour or two, by the time you come back it's completely forgotten, but some people do take things very personally or seriously, particularly if they are in a fragile mindset to begin with such as in H&R.

In short some people do get very emotionally invested in things, they shouldn't but they do. Bullying on the internet is a reality, but luckily its much easier to deal with than real life bullying. AAM if you are having troubles, but like as not they will already be reviewing the situation, there's a zero tolerance policy for that sort of thing from what I've seen here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sidhe)
    I don't know it can get pretty intense, I've seen people make death threats, and I don't mean jokey ones either, asking for exchange of addresses. I mean I don't let it get personal, at the end of the day if your angry about something or something hurts you then walk away for an hour or two, by the time you come back it's completely forgotten, but some people do take things very personally or seriously, particularly if they are in a fragile mindset to begin with such as in H&R.

In short some people do get very emotionally invested in things, they shouldn't but they do. Bullying on the internet is a reality, but luckily its much easier to deal with than real life bullying. AAM if you are having troubles, but like as not they will already be reviewing the situation, there's a zero tolerance policy for that sort of thing from what I've seen here.
    It would be a pretty lame death theat if they had to ask for the address...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princess)
    Yes I even gave it to him, although he missed it. The only time it ever happened to me was in a gaming channel, the guy was a nutter though. I mean I only made his ears bleed? I later found out he was ex-military in Croatia and he really did have an assault rifle. Apparently he was going to fly in shoot me dead then fly home, but someone told me not to worry because Croations never have any money. To be frank I don't think he was serious just very, very angry. But then barracking is all part of the gaming experience, it's a legitimate tactic in that particular game, and I was far from the only person who used it.

ReputationRep:
    stfu I iz gunna get da boyz n we iz gonna *** 2 ur place n nife u.

btw were u live???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sidhe)
    Yes I even gave it to him, although he missed it. The only time it ever happened to me was in a gaming channel, the guy was a nutter though. I mean I only made his ears bleed? I later found out he was ex-military in Croatia and he really did have an assault rifle. Apparently he was going to fly in shoot me dead then fly home, but someone told me not to worry because Croations never have any money. To be frank I don't think he was serious just very, very angry. But then barracking is all part of the gaming experience, it's a legitimate tactic in that particular game, and I was far from the only person who used it.
    Okay. You concern me.

(Original post by Fluent in Lies)
    stfu I iz gunna get da boyz n we iz gonna *** 2 ur place n nife u.

btw were u live???
    lol

ReputationRep:
    Bullying is a dodgy subject, it used to be that if a kid was being picked on the parent would tell them to toughen up and fight their own battles, might not be the best way but id say it worked for me. My mum always said, "if someone hits you, hit them back" and she'd defend me when i did.

Nowadays parents and teachers get involved straight away and it dosnt really lead to anything other than vunerable children living sheltered lifes.

Dont get me started on "cyber bullying".

ReputationRep:
    I don't really see how someone could be bullied on an online forum. If someone is being out of line there are moderators to warn/block/ban them. Of course a child shouldn't be forced to change school, I never said that. Unfortunately in real life we're not blessed with such effective forms of moderation

Everyone receives nasty comments from people on the internet, because I guess it's easy for some bored, immature teenager to do. But they're so clearly not personal, each of you has no idea who the other is and the comment holds no weight whatsoever, surely?
    True, devoid of any threat of physical abuse bullying isn't (or shouldn't be) very effective. That being said there are people of delicate dispositions who can be bullied online. Some people are just susceptible (sp?) to that sort of thing and telling them to turn off their computer isn't really a solution (even if we all sometimes would like to just slap some sense into these sorts of people).

ReputationRep:
    True, devoid of any threat of physical abuse bullying isn't (or shouldn't be) very effective. That being said there are people of delicate dispositions who can be bullied online. Some people are just susceptible (sp?) to that sort of thing and telling them to turn off their computer isn't really a solution (even if we all sometimes would like to just slap some sense into these sorts of people).
    Hmm. I see where you're coming from. I guess I feel sorry for people who take mindless comments on the internet seriously

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. I see where you're coming from. I guess I feel sorry for people who take mindless comments on the internet seriously
    Don't we all

ReputationRep:
    Okay. You concern me.
    Er your a bit crazy, I concern you :confused: I wasn't the one coming to a country a thousand miles away to gun someone down?

On the day the concensus was the guy was a bit mentally unhinged, and I concern you? :laugh:

I think your priorities are skewed, it's perfectly legitimate to make people angry in strategy games, it makes them suck at them badly. I don't think you know what your commenting on or why it happens. I've seen one guy annoy someone so much he just dropped earning himself a reputation for doing so. And of course his competitor, all his land to expand into, you don't play on line strategy games much do you?

ReputationRep:
    It's just some idiots being pricks. Don't let it get to you.

ReputationRep:
    I'm being bullied on wikipedia

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.