Turn on thread page Beta

guitar watch

ReputationRep:
    ive just got a guitar but dont no where to start with learning it, ive never played 1 before. ive got a leaflet with all the different cords on and ive learnt the positions but cant transfer frm one cord to another

any advice

ReputationRep:
    Get "Guitar Coach", a piece of software for teaching to to play guitar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    Get "Guitar Coach", a piece of software for teaching to to play guitar.
    thanks, are there any good websites that are free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    thanks, are there any good websites that are free
    Yeah, Google.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    ive just got a guitar but dont no where to start with learning it, ive never played 1 before. ive got a leaflet with all the different cords on and ive learnt the positions but cant transfer frm one cord to another

any advice
    I got some videos off the internet (free) by Tom Kolb (I don't know who he is either) and now I can play Beethoven's Seventh Symphony, House of The Rising Sun and Let It Be. Picking is insanely difficult too. They make it look so easy...It's hard to reach the frets sometimes though and you have to keep practicing and have patience.

ReputationRep:
    The guitarists' way books are good too. I studied those and then took the grade 1 exam and got honours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)

any advice
    get guitar for dummies, i started on that

ReputationRep:
    Try this website - i don't know if it's any good as i don't play.

ReputationRep:
    Just practice, practice...and you guessed it...practice some more. Changing chords is always the most difficult thing at first, but in a few weeks you'll be wondering why you ever found it so hard. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by who_me)
    Just practice, practice...and you guessed it...practice some more. Changing chords is always the most difficult thing at first, but in a few weeks you'll be wondering why you ever found it so hard. Good luck
    Of course, it helps if you've got fairly large hands in the first place. I've got long fingers so I can reach the base notes quite easily. G was a stretch though, the first few times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firebladez777.5)
    Of course, it helps if you've got fairly large hands in the first place. I've got long fingers so I can reach the base notes quite easily. G was a stretch though, the first few times.
    Hehe, I have abnormally long fingers too... and toes...but the latter has never really helped me with guitar funnily enough... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by who_me)
    Hehe, I have abnormally long fingers too... and toes...but the latter has never really helped me with guitar funnily enough... :rolleyes:
    form a one man band and play with your toes as well you little monkey!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)

any advice
    Just leave it on show :cool:

ReputationRep:
    if you want to get good at guitar, i believe you should definitely teach it to yourself. I'd definitely start by learning the chord shapes: C, A, D, G, E, Dm, Em and Am. Then learn Barre chords (which are easy once you know open A, E, Em and Am chord shapes) and then you're ready to learn to play loads of songs.

The problem I have is beyond those chords I cant name other chords. You get all tese sus4 and 7s everywhere and I have no idea how to intrepret them. I just remember them as certain shapes. Gah i'm so bad.

Tbh when I learn to play songs I just look at the tablature. I dont learn the chord names I just learn the finger positions. Works for me, but it probably makes me a worse guitarist. When i get to uni if i have time I think i might try and go back to basics!

ReputationRep:
    Once you've mastered the basic chords such as A, Am, E, Em, G, D, Dm, and C, try and find a song that uses some, if not most, or maybe even all (but that'd be lucky) of the chords, but make sure you know the song well enough to know what it should sound like. Play along to it. I used Green Day - Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) to start off with, as I found it almost ideal - picking chord shapes, chord changes, and it has a good rhythm. It uses G, some other form of G (I think) D, and Em, so I could change easily between those chords after some playing along to it. That's one of the best ways to master easy chord changes. Master a few of these sorts of songs then get onto some of the more difficult chords.

To start off with it's very repetitive, but keep at it, and practice at every moment you get, soon enough you'll be able to pull off all sorts, and all that practice will have been worth it!

If you search on Google for "guitar tabs" it'll come up with some good sites. I've had a look at the site that G4ry mentioned, and it looks quite good, I think I may have used it to start off with to be honest! Have fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swim By)
    form a one man band and play with your toes as well you little monkey!
    Hehe, could be interesting....!

ReputationRep:
    a good way i found was to play along to songs that i knew and liked, that way you don't get bored of michael row's his boat.

http://www.olga.net

that place has thousands of tabs for popular and not so popular songs.

power chords are easy so perhaps start with them if you have an electric, if not bands like turin brakes and some greenday stuff is good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    a good way i found was to play along to songs that i knew and liked, that way you don't get bored of michael row's his boat.

http://www.olga.net

that place has thousands of tabs for popular and not so popular songs.

power chords are easy so perhaps start with them if you have an electric, if not bands like turin brakes and some greenday stuff is good.
    thanks i cant read the music though :confused:
    it says

eg
    d 2 2 0

a 2 0 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    thanks i cant read the music though :confused:
    it says

eg
    d 2 2 0

a 2 0 2
    hehe do you know how to read tabs?

if you want to know anything you could email me

ReputationRep:
    when you get remotely good i highly recommend muse. It takes a lot of effort to sound even remotely like matt bellamy, but trust me, when you play a few muse songs to your friends they bow down in amazement. It's so damn cool!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.