The Student Room Group

Prove this asymptotic integral

How to prove

Unparseable latex formula:

\begin{equation} \int_{-b}^{\infty}\log^{p}(t+b)e^{-t}e^{-e^{-t}}dt \rightarrow \log^{\nu}(b), \text{as}\, b\rightarrow\infty[br]\nonumber\end{equation},

where p is a positive integer. I have validated this asymptotic in MATLAB with numerical method, but has no idea to prove it. Anyone here has ideas?
(edited 7 years ago)
Again, something has gone wrong in the telling; what is ν\nu supposed to be?

I also don't know what you mean by logp(t)\log^p(t). Is it (logt)p(\log t)^p, log(t) in base b (more normally written logb(t)\log_b(t)), or the pth iterated logarithm log(log(...log(p timesp(t)))\underbrace{\log(\log(...\log(}_{p\text{ times}} p(t))), or something else altogether?

Also, it would be better if your post was an addendum to the previous one, rather than starting a completely new thread.
Reply 2
Original post by DFranklin
Again, something has gone wrong in the telling; what is ν\nu supposed to be?

I also don't know what you mean by logp(t)\log^p(t). Is it (logt)p(\log t)^p, log(t) in base b (more normally written logb(t)\log_b(t)), or the pth iterated logarithm log(log(...log(p timesp(t)))\underbrace{\log(\log(...\log(}_{p\text{ times}} p(t))), or something else altogether?

Also, it would be better if your post was an addendum to the previous one, rather than starting a completely new thread.

Thank you for your comments. ν\nu is any number, real or complex. logp(t)\log^p(t) is (logt)p(\log t)^p. This problem is different with the previous one.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest