Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For all you office-workers:-

enjoy . . .

Adminisphere: The rarefied organizational layers beginning just above the rank and file. Decisions that fall from there are often profoundly inappropriate or irrelevant.

Alpha Geek: The most knowledgeable, technically proficient person in an office or work group.

Batmobiling: Putting up an emotional shield just as a relationship enters that intimate, vulnerable stage.

Beepilepsy: The brief seizure people sometimes suffer when their beepers go off, especially in vibrator mode. Characterized by physical spasms, goofy facial expressions, and stopping speech in mid-sentence.

Bio-break: Techie euphemism for using the toilet.

Blamestorming: Sitting around in a group discussing why a deadline was missed or a project failed and who was responsible.

Blue-sky thinking: Idealistic or visionary ideas - not always with practical application

Brain dump: To tell everything you know about a particular topic

Body Nazis: Hard-core exercise and weight-lifting fanatics who look down on anyone who doesn't work out excessively.

Bozon: A unit of stupidity. "Is it just me, or is there always a high bozon count in Rupert's posts?"

CGI Joe: A hard-core CGI script programmer with all the social skills and charisma of a plastic action figure.

Chainsaw consultant: An outside expert brought in to reduce the employee headcount, leaving the top brass with clean hands.

Chips and Salsa: Chips = hardware, salsa = software. "Well, first we gotta figure out if the problem's in your chips or your salsa."

Circling the Drain: describes projects that have no more life in them but refuse to die.

CLM (Career-Limiting Move): Used among microserfs to describe an ill-advised activity. Trashing your boss while he or she is within earshot is a serious CLM.

Cobweb Site: A World Wide Web Site that hasn't been updated for a long time. A dead web page.

Crop Dusting: Surreptitious flatulence while passing thru a cube farm, or any other public place, then enjoying the sounds of dismay and disgust this often leads to PRAIRIE DOGGING.

Cube farm: An office filled with cubicles.

Decruitment: A corporate euphemism for laying off workers.

Dead Tree Edition: The paper version of a publication available in both paper and electronic forms

Deinstalled : Euphemism for being fired.

Dorito Syndrome: Feelings of emptiness and dissatisfaction triggered by addictive substances that lack nutritional content.

Elvis year: the peak year of something's popularity

EMG: Acronym for Empty Magnanimous Gesture. As in: "We think your idea is great and would love to fund it, but [insert excuse here]."

Emotags: Mock HTML tags (<smile>, <smirk>) used in WWW-related e-mail and newsgroups in place of ASCII emoticons (faces).

Geeking out: When the computer nerds start playing on a computer
    during a noncomputer-related social event.

Generica: Features of the American landscape that are exactly the same no matter where one is, such as fast food joints, strip malls, subdivisions.

Get our ducks in a row: Have arrangements efficiently ordered

Glazing: sleeping with your eyes open. A popular pastime at conferences and early-morning meetings.

Gray Matter: Older, experienced business people hired by young entrepreneurial firms looking to appear more reputable and established.
    warning: "gray" ("the g-word") is out in some firms

Irritainment: Entertainment and media spectacles that are annoying, but you find yourself unable to stop watching them.

Joined-up thinking: Taking into account how things affect each other - not looking at something in isolation

Low-hanging fruit: The easiest targets

Open-Collar Workers: People who work at home or telecommute.

Prairie Dogging: When someone yells or drops something loudly in a "cube farm" (an office full of cubicles) and everyone's heads pop up over the walls to see what's going on.

Push the envelope: Improve performance by going beyond commonly accepted boundaries

Seagull Manager: A manager who flies in, makes a lot of noise, "poops" over everything and then leaves.

SITCOM: Stands for Single Income, Two Children, Oppressive Mortgage. - What yuppies turn into when they have children and one of them stops working to stay home with the kids.

Square-headed Girlfriend: Another word for a computer. The victim of a square-headed girlfriend is a "computer widow."

Stress puppy: a person who thrives on being stressed-out and whiny.

The helicopter view: An overview

The hole in the bucket - it only takes one employee to put the whole company at risk.

Treeware: Hacker slang for documentation or other printed material.

Tourists: People who take training classes just to get a vacation from their jobs.

Umfriend: A sexual relation of dubious standing. "This is Dale, my...um...friend..."

Under Mouse Arrest: Getting busted for violating an on-line service's rule of conduct.

WOOFYS: Well Off Older Folks

Xerox Subsidy: Euphenism for swiping free photocopies from one's workplace.

404: Someone who is clueless, from the World Wide Web error message "404
    Not Found", meaning the requested document couldn't be located -- Don't
    bother asking him, he's 404.

ReputationRep:
    Prairie Dogging: When someone yells or drops something loudly in a "cube farm" (an office full of cubicles) and everyone's heads pop up over the walls to see what's going on.

I got a mental image of this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sausage)

Well done, that's what descriptions are for.

ReputationRep:
    yeah but half of them are pants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sausage)
    Well done, that's what descriptions are for.

ReputationRep:
    eh?

ReputationRep:
    My Job title is often affectionately referred to as BSOFH: ******* Security Officer From Hell

ReputationRep:
    Did you get the memo? I got the memo.

ReputationRep:
    I got bebo.

ReputationRep:
    did somebody say weeaboo.

Because I thought I just heard somebody say weeaboo.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.