discoball
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Am applying to study law at Newcastle and was wondering what anyone thought of both the university and the city itself? Things like if the staff are helpful, nightlife, shops, what the accommodation is like, what clubs and societies there are, what transport is like and just general thoughts about it.Unfortunately, I don't think im going to be able to visit it before I have to decide if I want to go there or not so it would be really helpful for me to find out what others think. Thanks
kirstybecs
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I went to the open day and it seemed really good (esp the woman doing the talk for law, she was really interactive and enthusiastic (moreso than most staff are!)). There's a huge range of accommodation available, and its not terribly expensive. TBH when I went and had a tour around the law library, I hated it - it's very closed in, all downstairs and not really my kind of environment. Like most universities, I'm assuming they'll have loads of societies (blah blah blah).

Transport in Newcastle is really good, there's the Metro and buses to get you around. The shops are decent enough, you won't be complaining there's nowhere to buy clothes from (+ you get Fenwick's Christmas window).

lmao despite living just outside Newcastle, I've never experienced the nightlife personally but there's a ****load of clubs you can go to so you won't be bored if that's your cup of tea
Luneth
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by kirstybecs)
There's a huge range of accommodation available, and its not terribly expensive.
Especially so if you're coming from down south.
Gold-Confetti
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by discoball)
Am applying to study law at Newcastle and was wondering what anyone thought of both the university and the city itself? Things like if the staff are helpful, nightlife, shops, what the accommodation is like, what clubs and societies there are, what transport is like and just general thoughts about it.Unfortunately, I don't think im going to be able to visit it before I have to decide if I want to go there or not so it would be really helpful for me to find out what others think. Thanks
Hi! I don't go to Newcastle uni, but I'm from just outside of Newcastle and I use their facilities sometimes. Also an offer holder for their law school.
The city is beautiful, honestly. Not too big not but too small and everyone is friendly compared to the blank indifference you get in London. The shopping is great too, pretty much everything you would need.

Nightlife is amazing, we're often credited with some of the best nightlife in the UK. Transport is great too. You can probably walk anywhere you'd need to get but failing that, plenty buses and the metro which is pretty cheap.

The university apparently has really high quality accommodation, and the Robinson library is very good. I've been using it a lot lately for my EPQ and a level coursework. I've also used the law library which is fairly extensive. Not sure about the lecturers or the teaching, because I'm not really looking to study here, but from past experience the staff are all helpful. I know someone who goes here and is on the equestrian polo team so I assume if they cater for hobbies like mine (horse riding) that are expensive and awkward, their clubs and societies must be good.

Any more questions and I'm more than happy to help you, just drop me a message, I've lived in the north east my whole life 😊 Good luck applying also!
discoball
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thanks everyone - really helpful!!
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Don't bother with a coat: they don't exist in Newcastle.
peaaceandl0ve
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey, I'm in my second year at Newcastle and love it here! If you have any specific questions about societies/courses/accommdation etc then feel free to ask The staff in the Languages dept are amazing, but I don't know what degree you're applying for. The accommodation is super cheap compared to the rest of the UK too (I was at Marris which was £3.6k/year for a sink in my room, toilet/shower between three and massive kitchen). I love the nightlife and shopping in the city, and there are soooo many societies and opportunities at the SU too
kzb506
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by peaaceandl0ve)
Hey, I'm in my second year at Newcastle and love it here! If you have any specific questions about societies/courses/accommdation etc then feel free to ask The staff in the Languages dept are amazing, but I don't know what degree you're applying for. The accommodation is super cheap compared to the rest of the UK too (I was at Marris which was £3.6k/year for a sink in my room, toilet/shower between three and massive kitchen). I love the nightlife and shopping in the city, and there are soooo many societies and opportunities at the SU too
Hi, I am currently deciding between Newcastle or Southampton Uni as to which one to firm. I have read lots about Newcastle uni and really like it, but I have a few slightly peculiar questions firstly 1) Are there many British Asians (e.g sikhs etc) at Newcastle uni ( i know it sounds silly but i like having a mix). ?
2. Is the reputation that people have of Newcastle Uni where Im from true, that it is full of really posh boarding school southeners? I have nothing against that but like most things, I think its nice to have a general mix of all back grounds. Everything I've seen of Newcastle uni suggest this reputation is not true.

Cheers
rayquaza17
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by kzb506)
Hi, I am currently deciding between Newcastle or Southampton Uni as to which one to firm. I have read lots about Newcastle uni and really like it, but I have a few slightly peculiar questions firstly 1) Are there many British Asians (e.g sikhs etc) at Newcastle uni ( i know it sounds silly but i like having a mix). ?
2. Is the reputation that people have of Newcastle Uni where Im from true, that it is full of really posh boarding school southeners? I have nothing against that but like most things, I think its nice to have a general mix of all back grounds. Everything I've seen of Newcastle uni suggest this reputation is not true.

Cheers
I would say Newcastle university is quite multi cultural. I would definitely say it is not full of posh southerners! I was a local student to Newcastle, Northumbrian born and raised :P, as were a lot of the friends I made on my course. I did maths and I definitely think there was a mix of backgrounds there.

Is it possible for you to visit the University on an open day because then you will be able to see what the university is like and if you think it's the right place for you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.45%
Not great so far... (251)
35.7%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.63%

Watched Threads