Brown Patrick Bateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by shiny)
Oh well, academia ain't for you then

* goes back to being simple *
Hang on, a lot of academics make an absolute fortune. Ignore the 30k lecturing salaries, its having their books published where they make the real money.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
There are always jobs like mine -
same environment as academia
not even slightly competetive (the sector - administration puts 95% of the blokes off already)
the pay is reasonable (I started on £17.5k 2 and a bit yrs ago - in a few months time it's due to go up to nearly £23k)
it's a job for life (I have a letter on my desk saying the job is mine until I'm 65 :cool: )
and the holidays etc are great (same terms and conditions as academics - works out at around 45 days leave a yr including bank holidays)

plus the work is quite interesting
shiny
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Jools)
Hang on, a lot of academics make an absolute fortune. Ignore the 30k lecturing salaries, its having their books published where they make the real money.
Not every academic is a superstar like the ones at Oxford Jools. There are lots of chaps who just plod out a living.

And publishing books isn't guaranteed income.
mobbdeeprob
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Jools)
I wouldn't say so really - there are a lot more 'jobbing academics' than academics rolling in dough from producing books. Most academic books will produce negligible revenue for their author anyway.

Having said that, academia has paid for the life that I enjoy and it's quite good.

The starting salaries in academia are generally crap. Several institutions, initially, will only offer lecturers rolling contracts; so job security isn't great.

Once you reach the rank of Senior Lecturer - the opportunities for paid travel to attend conferences and seminars are immense though and job security is pretty much assured.

£40,000 for Senior Lecturers is tolerable.
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Top Academics do alright for themselves but it's the first ten years really, considering how clever they clearly are, the salaries do not match.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by shiny)
There are lots of chaps who just plod out a living.
There are quite a few chapesses as well
Brown Patrick Bateman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by shiny)
Not every academic is a superstar like the ones at Oxford Jools. There are lots of chaps who just plod out a living.

And publishing books isn't guaranteed income.
It's not an Ox thing - some of the respected academic sources are written by Professors at eg Glasgow Caledonian, East London, Hallam etc. Yeah it's nothing guaranteed; I was just directing it at Huntroyde who seems to have the capability.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Jools)
It's not an Ox thing - some of the respected academic sources are written by Professors at eg Glasgow Caledonian, East London, Hallam etc. Yeah it's nothing guaranteed; I was just directing it at Huntroyde who seems to have the capability.
If you get into academia in science/law it can be interesting/well-paid as you can get on lots of commitees/consortiums.

But I couldn't make my parents fund the early years, taking my inheritence before they're dead
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I always wanted to work in a sweetshop
Jump
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
At first I thought you put sweatshop...
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by jumpunderaboat)
At first I thought you put sweatshop...
hehehe - I wasn't THAT ambitious
shiny
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Ooohhh, I would be your first customer!
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by shiny)
Ooohhh, I would be your first customer!
Well I would have to sell the BEST sweets
BazTheMoney
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Jools)
Academia won't be that difficult to get into. How many people your age want to go into academia?
Not difficult at all, you just need a First or 2i followed by a PhD. :rolleyes: That puts 99.9999% of the population out of the question.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by BazTheMoney)
Not difficult at all, you just need a First or 2i followed by a PhD. :rolleyes: That puts 99.9999% of the population out of the question.
But I think a lot of people could manage a good degree and a Ph.D but it costs, so they can't...
shiny
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Not difficult at all, you just need a First or 2i followed by a PhD :rolleyes: That puts 99.9999% of the population out of the question.
* pssst Baz is going to be a Tab academic *
Brown Patrick Bateman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Slightly more than that with PhDs! I mean its not difficult to "get into", i.e. there's not fierce competition. If you want to work hard and get a 1st/2.1 then PhD the door's wideopen.
Brown Patrick Bateman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by shiny)
Neither is Investment Banking in that case
Erm, no. If you have a 2.1, good work experience and good extracurriculars you still have ~60 (and rising) people per place competing against you.
shiny
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Jools)
Erm, no. If you have a 2.1, good work experience and good extracurriculars you still have ~60 (and rising) people per place competing against you.
Everything you do is superior.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (65)
19.35%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (72)
21.43%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (62)
18.45%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (70)
20.83%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (34)
10.12%
I haven't started researching yet (33)
9.82%

Watched Threads