ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Oh well, academia ain't for you then
    Yep, I'd worked that out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Oh well, academia ain't for you then

* goes back to being simple *
    Hang on, a lot of academics make an absolute fortune. Ignore the 30k lecturing salaries, its having their books published where they make the real money.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    There are always jobs like mine -
    same environment as academia
    not even slightly competetive (the sector - administration puts 95% of the blokes off already)
    the pay is reasonable (I started on £17.5k 2 and a bit yrs ago - in a few months time it's due to go up to nearly £23k)
    it's a job for life (I have a letter on my desk saying the job is mine until I'm 65 :cool: )
    and the holidays etc are great (same terms and conditions as academics - works out at around 45 days leave a yr including bank holidays)

plus the work is quite interesting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Hang on, a lot of academics make an absolute fortune. Ignore the 30k lecturing salaries, its having their books published where they make the real money.
    Not every academic is a superstar like the ones at Oxford Jools. There are lots of chaps who just plod out a living.

And publishing books isn't guaranteed income.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    I wouldn't say so really - there are a lot more 'jobbing academics' than academics rolling in dough from producing books. Most academic books will produce negligible revenue for their author anyway.

Having said that, academia has paid for the life that I enjoy and it's quite good.

The starting salaries in academia are generally crap. Several institutions, initially, will only offer lecturers rolling contracts; so job security isn't great.

Once you reach the rank of Senior Lecturer - the opportunities for paid travel to attend conferences and seminars are immense though and job security is pretty much assured.

£40,000 for Senior Lecturers is tolerable.

ReputationRep:
    Top Academics do alright for themselves but it's the first ten years really, considering how clever they clearly are, the salaries do not match.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by shiny)
    There are lots of chaps who just plod out a living.
    There are quite a few chapesses as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Not every academic is a superstar like the ones at Oxford Jools. There are lots of chaps who just plod out a living.

And publishing books isn't guaranteed income.
    It's not an Ox thing - some of the respected academic sources are written by Professors at eg Glasgow Caledonian, East London, Hallam etc. Yeah it's nothing guaranteed; I was just directing it at Huntroyde who seems to have the capability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    It's not an Ox thing - some of the respected academic sources are written by Professors at eg Glasgow Caledonian, East London, Hallam etc. Yeah it's nothing guaranteed; I was just directing it at Huntroyde who seems to have the capability.
    If you get into academia in science/law it can be interesting/well-paid as you can get on lots of commitees/consortiums.

But I couldn't make my parents fund the early years, taking my inheritence before they're dead
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I always wanted to work in a sweetshop

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    At first I thought you put sweatshop...
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    At first I thought you put sweatshop...
    hehehe - I wasn't THAT ambitious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Ooohhh, I would be your first customer!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by shiny)
    Ooohhh, I would be your first customer!
    Well I would have to sell the BEST sweets

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Academia won't be that difficult to get into. How many people your age want to go into academia?
    Not difficult at all, you just need a First or 2i followed by a PhD. :rolleyes: That puts 99.9999% of the population out of the question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    Not difficult at all, you just need a First or 2i followed by a PhD. :rolleyes: That puts 99.9999% of the population out of the question.
    But I think a lot of people could manage a good degree and a Ph.D but it costs, so they can't...

ReputationRep:
    Not difficult at all, you just need a First or 2i followed by a PhD :rolleyes: That puts 99.9999% of the population out of the question.
    * pssst Baz is going to be a Tab academic *

ReputationRep:
    Slightly more than that with PhDs! I mean its not difficult to "get into", i.e. there's not fierce competition. If you want to work hard and get a 1st/2.1 then PhD the door's wideopen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Neither is Investment Banking in that case
    Erm, no. If you have a 2.1, good work experience and good extracurriculars you still have ~60 (and rising) people per place competing against you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Erm, no. If you have a 2.1, good work experience and good extracurriculars you still have ~60 (and rising) people per place competing against you.
    Everything you do is superior.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 31, 2004
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.