?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
You can view the page at https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/con...rking-mistakes
Popsiclez
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Looks like the examiners need to do some revision themselves.
Fractite
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So THAT'S why I got an A in English Lit.
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm not surprised, really.
boringvoice
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm not surprised, but it really is not fair. Surely each (essay based) paper could be marked by more than one person separately and an average calculated...
Chronoscope
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
not suprised - remarked gcse science D - one mark off and it went down 3 marks... - that was kind of them - NOT
TK_23
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Wow! Slightly shocked actually.
AppleB
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I do English lit at A Level and this scares me slightly! There is no correct answer in English it's mostly own interpretation, whether the examiner agrees or disagrees that depends.
Reshyna
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Fox Corner)
You can view the page at https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/con...rking-mistakes

(Original post by MarleyZ)
A major study into marking accuracy by exam board regulator Ofqual has revealed nearly half of all English Literature papers are awarded an incorrect grade, while in subjects such as history and RS, fewer than two thirds of papers receive the correct mark. It's causing a wave of exasperation among students - how do you feel about that? What should be done to fix it? TSR speaks directly to Ofqual, have your say in this thread.
What subjects were awarded an incorrect grade? Does it include the subjects: 'English Language B', 'Chemistry', 'Physics', 'ICT', 'Geography', 'Biology' & 'human Biology'? And what year was this a major concern?
Asolare
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Woohoo looks like they're gonna get my languages marking right then ;-)

I'm not surprised, known for years that English Lit is marked really badly and almost always remarked. It's open to so much subjectivity it's insane, and considering it's a problem that's occurred for years it's laughable the exam boards haven't properly addressed it yet.
Ishouldntbeawake
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I bloody hope not, I had full marks!
username2049777
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
english is so subjective to the examiner- what one examiner can interpret from your writing, another might not and mark it wrong. i really think english essays should be marked by at least 2 examiners and then an average can be taken from the marks which can then be converted into an overall grade
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This is why I didn't do English as a third a-level...
Gogregg
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think it would be a good idea to mark essay subjects by two examiners, and if their grade is more than a certain amount apart, have a third, senior examiner, mark it. Like the BMAT.

Although, I have to admit, it just isn't feasible. We hardly have enough time/markers as it is, so if every essay had to be marked at least twice? It would never get done.
The Learn Ranger
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by boringvoice)
I'm not surprised, but it really is not fair. Surely each (essay based) paper could be marked by more than one person separately and an average calculated...
True, but the research evidence suggests this would only make a small improvement and would require at least double the number of examiners we currently have - possibly reducing the quality of examining generally.
The Learn Ranger
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Fractite)
So THAT'S why I got an A in English Lit.
Could be! Students have as much chance to benefit from marking as they do to be disadvantaged.

(Original post by TK_23)
Wow! Slightly shocked actually.
No one expects the system to be perfect but the findings are a bit concerning.

(Original post by Rashina)
What subjects were awarded an incorrect grade? Does it include the subjects: 'English Language B', 'Chemistry', 'Physics', 'ICT', 'Geography', 'Biology' & 'human Biology'? And what year was this a major concern?
It's not about 'incorrect grades' in any year on any specific papers, just an overall tendency for examiners to differ in some subjects.
Reshyna
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by The Learn Ranger)

It's not about 'incorrect grades' in any year on any specific appers, just an overall tendency for examiners to differ in some subjects.
Was English Language B June 2016 paper corrected by Ofqal?
The Learn Ranger
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Rashina)
Was English Language B June 2016 paper corrected by Ofqal?
Ofqual don't look at specific papers in this way. It's up to the individual exam boards to produce the marks and grades. No marks or grades are being changed.
LordHeskey
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This isn't even remotely surprising. Examiners are given a mark scheme but for subjects like English Lit and History its subjective as to how you view an answer. I know from doing A level History that the mark scheme is banded and into five levels with criteria in each but the actual criteria for a certain level is very vague. Obviously key dates and events have to be right but in reality how the examiner values an essay is heavily opinionated...
England113
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AppleB)
I do English lit at A Level and this scares me slightly! There is no correct answer in English it's mostly own interpretation, whether the examiner agrees or disagrees that depends.
Same here.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why do you want to do a masters?

Great for my career (0)
0%
I really love the subject (3)
100%
I don't know what else to do (0)
0%
I can't get a job (0)
0%
My parents want me to (0)
0%