The Student Room Group

Politics Dissertation Advice

Dear TSR,

I am writing my politics dissertation, does this seem like a good potential title to use?

'In what ways has the ‘Special Relationship’ between Britain and the United States been changed by the events of the last half-century? Is it still accurate to describe this as a special relationship?'

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by matthew3774
Dear TSR,

I am writing my politics dissertation, does this seem like a good potential title to use?

'In what ways has the ‘Special Relationship’ between Britain and the United States been changed by the events of the last half-century? Is it still accurate to describe this as a special relationship?'

Thanks!

In my field you'd need to keep it to one sentence if it was a question, so I'd drop the second one. It's not necessary and you can expand on your research question in the text.
Reply 2
Ah okay thanks, I read somewhere some unis have word limits for dissertation titles so will need to double check that too
Reply 3
Ah okay thanks, I read somewhere some unis have word limits for dissertation titles so will need to double check that too

This is the sort of question your supervisor should be helping with. Either they can tell you or they can point you to your uni's dissertation standards.
Reply 4
Also I have done a literature review but it is only 700 words and the word limit is 1500. Do you think that will be an issue or is it more about the quality than the quantity of it?

Thanks
Reply 5
Also I have done a literature review but it is only 700 words and the word limit is 1500. Do you think that will be an issue or is it more about the quality than the quantity of it?

Thanks

Another question for your supervisor. It depends on your field, your departmental standards, what your supervisor looks for etc.

Certainly in my area, 700 words would be insufficient, but you can't generalise from that. A Lit Review allows you to give a context for your research and explain why what you are doing is useful. 700 words doesn't indicate a lot of reading around your subject when you have fifty years of US/UK political commentary to review.
Reply 6
Original post by Klix88
Another question for your supervisor. It depends on your field, your departmental standards, what your supervisor looks for etc.

Certainly in my area, 700 words would be insufficient, but you can't generalise from that. A Lit Review allows you to give a context for your research and explain why what you are doing is useful. 700 words doesn't indicate a lot of reading around your subject when you have fifty years of US/UK political commentary to review.

Well the word limit is 1500. I have got it up to 1500 now thankfully

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending