The Student Room Group

French or Economics GCSE

Hi everybody. I've already posted a thread on GCSE choices, but now I think I'm just stuck with two: French or Economics. The GCSEs I've decided are (plus compulsory):
Maths & Further Maths
English Lang & Lit
Science (Double or Triple)
RE - Compulsory
Spanish
History
Geography
I really enjoy both the languages and I find some of economics interesting but not all of it... However, I'm not sure if Spanish, French, History and Geography will be four options that are too heavy. And even though I'm in year 9, I'm pretty confident that I'm going to go down a Mathematical route for A Level and degree... in that case, would it be better to do Economics. (PS - If I'm probably going to do physics A level and would consider doing Chemistry, should I do triple science instead of double, given the workload I have?) Thanks in advance
Hector
Reply 1
If you're already taking Spanish, then taking French as well would be pretty pointless. Also, I do Economics AS-Level and it's very hard without prior knowledge about the subject, so if you're interested in maths/economics in the future then doing Economics GCSE would make your life a lot easier when starting AS-Levels.

However, if you're planning on doing Physics A-Level, I would strongly recommend that you did Triple Science GCSE as it's very helpful in many ways, and the Sixth Forms prefer it if you took Triple Science when considering you for science A-Levels.

GCSE's seem incredibly hard when you're doing them, but don't worry, they're not impossible. You shouldn't worry about workload, no subjects have such a large workload that they're hard/'heavy' to do together, unlike A-Levels where taking Biology is impossible amounts of information alone, without even mentioning the other A-Levels :redface: but yeah, GCSE's really aren't hard, and I understand they seem it right now, but you'll soon realize (probably when your exams have started) that all of your stressing and worrying really wasn't worth it.

Good luck with your exams and your choices! If you need to talk to me about anything (I did French GCSE & Triple Science GCSE and I currently do Economics AS-Level) then I'd be happy to help further!
Reply 2
Original post by Grovyshi
If you're already taking Spanish, then taking French as well would be pretty pointless. Also, I do Economics AS-Level and it's very hard without prior knowledge about the subject, so if you're interested in maths/economics in the future then doing Economics GCSE would make your life a lot easier when starting AS-Levels.

However, if you're planning on doing Physics A-Level, I would strongly recommend that you did Triple Science GCSE as it's very helpful in many ways, and the Sixth Forms prefer it if you took Triple Science when considering you for science A-Levels.

GCSE's seem incredibly hard when you're doing them, but don't worry, they're not impossible. You shouldn't worry about workload, no subjects have such a large workload that they're hard/'heavy' to do together, unlike A-Levels where taking Biology is impossible amounts of information alone, without even mentioning the other A-Levels :redface: but yeah, GCSE's really aren't hard, and I understand they seem it right now, but you'll soon realize (probably when your exams have started) that all of your stressing and worrying really wasn't worth it.

Good luck with your exams and your choices! If you need to talk to me about anything (I did French GCSE & Triple Science GCSE and I currently do Economics AS-Level) then I'd be happy to help further!
Thanks for the help! How did you find GCSE French? I don't think I would take either subject at A Level, but for an economics GCSE, would it contain much mathematical content, or would it just be primarily remembering economic terms?
Reply 3
Original post by Hectxrp
Thanks for the help! How did you find GCSE French? I don't think I would take either subject at A Level, but for an economics GCSE, would it contain much mathematical content, or would it just be primarily remembering economic terms?

GCSE French is a tough one to talk about. For my course, 60% of it was coursework, through 2 speaking assessments and 2 writing assessments, and then 40% was exam through 1 reading exam and 1 listening exam.

The coursework is a ton of work. It takes so long to do, and so long to learn off by heart, and it's so easy to mess up on the day when you have to actually do it... but if you really do put the effort in, it's honestly the best thing ever as it means you have 60% of your course as a high grade. I managed to get an A in my 60% coursework, so I had that to boost me up for the real exams.

The exams, if I'm honest, are mostly just making educated guesses; you'll probably never be 100% sure on the answers, but a lot of the time it's relatively easy to guess and get them right. In my two exams, I got a B in reading and a D in listening (I was very close to C), so I got a B overall in French. Overall, it's a hard GCSE, but if you put the work in, it's not impossible to get a good grade. I'd assume Spanish is very similar, but most probably a bit easier as people do Spanish for less time than French over their school-years.

As for Economics GCSE, I never did it (I'm still struggling at AS-Level Economics as a result of it), but I'd assume there's isn't too much maths; I believe it is mostly learning terms, and learning graphs. If you're able to do Maths GCSE, then you'll have absolutely no problem with it whatsoever (it'd be much easier).

Sorry if some of the things I'm saying don't make much sense, I'm a bit tired haha :redface:
Reply 4
GCSE French is a tough one to talk about. For my course, 60% of it was coursework, through 2 speaking assessments and 2 writing assessments, and then 40% was exam through 1 reading exam and 1 listening exam.

The coursework is a ton of work. It takes so long to do, and so long to learn off by heart, and it's so easy to mess up on the day when you have to actually do it... but if you really do put the effort in, it's honestly the best thing ever as it means you have 60% of your course as a high grade. I managed to get an A in my 60% coursework, so I had that to boost me up for the real exams.

The exams, if I'm honest, are mostly just making educated guesses; you'll probably never be 100% sure on the answers, but a lot of the time it's relatively easy to guess and get them right. In my two exams, I got a B in reading and a D in listening (I was very close to C), so I got a B overall in French. Overall, it's a hard GCSE, but if you put the work in, it's not impossible to get a good grade. I'd assume Spanish is very similar, but most probably a bit easier as people do Spanish for less time than French over their school-years.

As for Economics GCSE, I never did it (I'm still struggling at AS-Level Economics as a result of it), but I'd assume there's isn't too much maths; I believe it is mostly learning terms, and learning graphs. If you're able to do Maths GCSE, then you'll have absolutely no problem with it whatsoever (it'd be much easier).

Sorry if some of the things I'm saying don't make much sense, I'm a bit tired haha :redface:
I think the GCSEs might've changed - I don't think there's any coursework for French. I'm really confident with maths - I'm considering taking it early - so I hope I would find Economics fine. What other A levels are you doing?
Economics because a foreign is not Easy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Hectxrp
I think the GCSEs might've changed - I don't think there's any coursework for French. I'm really confident with maths - I'm considering taking it early - so I hope I would find Economics fine. What other A levels are you doing?

Yeah, if you're really confident with Maths and you're gonna take Spanish anyway, then I definitely think you should take Economics GCSE!

I'm currently doing Psychology (which I absolutely love), Biology (which I like but it's so much dang work) and Economics (which is okay, but I struggle with it a lot). :smile:
Original post by Hectxrp
Hi everybody. I've already posted a thread on GCSE choices, but now I think I'm just stuck with two: French or Economics. The GCSEs I've decided are (plus compulsory):
Maths & Further Maths
English Lang & Lit
RE - Compulsory
Spanish
History
Geography
I really enjoy both the languages and I find some of economics interesting but not all of it... However, I'm not sure if Spanish, French, History and Geography will be four options that are too heavy. And even though I'm in year 9, I'm pretty confident that I'm going to go down a Mathematical route for A Level and degree... in that case, would it be better to do Economics. (PS - If I'm probably going to do physics A level and would consider doing Chemistry, should I do triple science instead of double, given the workload I have?) Thanks in advance
Hector

Do triple science! I think you should do economics as you are already doing one language and you want to go down the mathematical route.:smile: I took triple science and it HAS actually helped me with science at a level!:smile:

What problems do you have with AS Economics? I might be able to give you some useful resources:smile:
Yeah and a level chem will be the death of me...:redface:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Naomeyz_01
Economics because a foreign is not Easy

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends on what you find easy!:smile:
Reply 9
Original post by sunshine774
Do triple science! I think you should do economics as you are already doing one language and you want to go down the mathematical route.:smile: I took triple science and it HAS actually helped me with science at a level!:smile:

What problems do you have with AS Economics? I might be able to give you some useful resources:smile:
Thanks for answering! It's good to have first hand experience of someone who has done science A Levels ... what ones are you taking and how are you finding them?
i did both french and economics for gcse :smile: as you're already taking a language, i think economics would be best. econ has next to no maths at gcse (the most i ever did was doing simple calculations with exchange rates and interpretating graphs); in fact, it's more essay based than anything. in terms of getting a good grade, i found french easier mostly because the exams were so easy and i'd done well in my controlled assessments lmao
economics exams are tough, for my exam board you had to do three mini essays and a couple more shorter answer questions in 75 minutes, and it's hard knowing what exactly to write. economics a level (although i don't take it) requires no prior knowledge and from the people i know who did the gcse beforehand, they say it hasn't really helped.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Vanilla Cupcake
i did both french and economics for gcse :smile: as you're already taking a language, i think economics would be best. econ has next to no maths at gcse (the most i ever did was doing simple calculations with exchange rates and interpretating graphs); in fact, it's more essay based than anything. in terms of getting a good grade, i found french easier mostly because the exams were so easy and i'd done well in my controlled assessments lmao
economics exams are tough, for my exam board you had to do three mini essays and a couple more shorter answer questions in 75 minutes, and it's hard knowing what exactly to write. economics a level (although i don't take it) requires no prior knowledge and from the people i know who did the gcse beforehand, they say it hasn't really helped.
Thanks for the help Vanilla. I probably wouldn't do economics at A Level, but if I want to do maths in the future do you think it is worth doing economics GCSE just to get a base knowledge in case I end up going into that field? And are you doing your A Levels? If so, what ones are you taking?
definitely, do economics!
Reply 13
Original post by Hectxrp
Maths & Further Maths
English Lang & Lit
RE - Compulsory
Spanish
History
Geography
Hector

Since you enjoy Economics I'd say to choose that because you already have a language and I've heard a lot of negative things about French as people also say that it was not what they expected.
Original post by Hectxrp
Thanks for the help Vanilla. I probably wouldn't do economics at A Level, but if I want to do maths in the future do you think it is worth doing economics GCSE just to get a base knowledge in case I end up going into that field? And are you doing your A Levels? If so, what ones are you taking?

it's definitely a good and interesting subject in its own right, and on AQA you do a little bit on personal finance too so it's very applicable to real life
i do maths maths, further maths, physics and french
Reply 15
Original post by Vanilla Cupcake
it's definitely a good and interesting subject in its own right, and on AQA you do a little bit on personal finance too so it's very applicable to real life
i do maths maths, further maths, physics and french
Those A Levels sound like a great combination - I'd probably do the same A Levels (if I get the grades), but with Spanish instead of French.
Original post by sunshine774

I've never done Economics before AS Level, so I'm struggling with getting to grasps with some of the concepts, and so many of the graphs are really hard :s-smilie: And when I look at exam questions, like the multiple-choice questions, I really struggle with getting the answer as I feel like I can't apply what we're learning to it... it's hard to explain why I'm struggling with it, I guess it's just such a new subject for me that I'm struggling to understand it all. :redface:

The graphs are such a pain though :frown: so many of them and they're so difficult to grasp
I've never done Economics before AS Level, so I'm struggling with getting to grasps with some of the concepts, and so many of the graphs are really hard :s-smilie: And when I look at exam questions, like the multiple-choice questions, I really struggle with getting the answer as I feel like I can't apply what we're learning to it... it's hard to explain why I'm struggling with it, I guess it's just such a new subject for me that I'm struggling to understand it all. :redface:

The graphs are such a pain though :frown: so many of them and they're so difficult to grasp

I've never done Economics at AS level before, but I did Business Studies at GCSE so that has helped a bit.:smile: The multiple choice questions really screw me over; I'm actually better at essays!:tongue: If you do OCR, do the past AQA multiple choice questions. It will really help! The graphs really are fine- use pajholden and econplusdal videos for the graphs- they will save your life! They cover the whole course too.:smile: Use the economics resources on physics and maths tutor (pre written notes.) Finally, learn the key terms from the textbook. Hope this helps and best of luck!x:h:
French. Economics without calculus isnt worth the fuss. Gain exposure to a different culture and have access to more literature. The guy saying if taking spanish then french is worthless is being silly. You'll not get the chance to explore this again in a dedicated environment, most likely. Take the chance with both hands.

Yes definitely go for triple science. You'll have a big advantage at a level when the teachers brush over stuff that was assumed knowledge from triple but not double. A few in my classes have paid the price in that respect and have had to catch up on gcse stuff.

I study maths further maths chemistry and physics a level. Already gotten through a text in first year university economics (intro to microeconomics and intro to macroeconomics with calculus) and have found that the gcse and a level texts are just not useful in comparison.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest