The Student Room Group

Help! What GCSEs should I take?

I have to chose my GCSEs in a few months time and I don't know what to chose.
At my school we have to take:
English language
English lit
Maths
A language (French, Spanish or Latin)
Either combined science or separate science

I want to be an engineer so I am planning on taking separate science so I have 2 other options, I'm thinking about computing, history or business studies but I'm open to other options.
I also haven't decided what language I want to take as I don't like languages.
I find Spanish the easiest to learn as it phonetic
I find Latin the most fun but I'm not very good at it (but I would like it more if I was better)
And I'm okay at French and I like it but I don't really enjoy it (that probably doesn't make any sense)

Can anyone give me some advice on what I could potentially take, and what would be best to take for a future career in engineering?
Original post by Panda2761
I have to chose my GCSEs in a few months time and I don't know what to chose.
At my school we have to take:
English language
English lit
Maths
A language (French, Spanish or Latin)
Either combined science or separate science

I want to be an engineer so I am planning on taking separate science so I have 2 other options, I'm thinking about computing, history or business studies but I'm open to other options.
I also haven't decided what language I want to take as I don't like languages.
I find Spanish the easiest to learn as it phonetic
I find Latin the most fun but I'm not very good at it (but I would like it more if I was better)
And I'm okay at French and I like it but I don't really enjoy it (that probably doesn't make any sense)

Can anyone give me some advice on what I could potentially take, and what would be best to take for a future career in engineering?

Hiya,

It doesn't matter too much which GCSEs you take as long as you have the subjects that you need for A Level. Just pick the ones that you'll enjoy and try to get a broad range :smile:

Out of the ones you've suggested computer science will be the most useful for engineering.

An essay based subject such as history will allow you to develop your writing skills.

Latin will help with English and becomes fairly straight forward if you're good at memorising vocab and grammar and are interested in history. Spanish is probably the most useful modern language as it is so widely spoken and imo it is easier than french :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by VioletPhillippo
Hiya,

It doesn't matter too much which GCSEs you take as long as you have the subjects that you need for A Level. Just pick the ones that you'll enjoy and try to get a broad range :smile:

Out of the ones you've suggested computer science will be the most useful for engineering.

An essay based subject such as history will allow you to develop your writing skills.

Latin will help with English and becomes fairly straight forward if you're good at memorising vocab and grammar and are interested in history. Spanish is probably the most useful modern language as it is so widely spoken and imo it is easier than french :smile:

Thank you, that's really helpful! It will make my choices easier knowing that!!

Quick Reply

Latest