Turn on thread page Beta

Quick question: Do i have to use this in my test? I'm personally not very confident holding the car still on hill junctions especially using only the clutch. I much prefer to use my handbrake. Will i get marked down for hesitancy or lack of pregressive driving if i don't use clutch control at any point?

ReputationRep:
    youd get a minor for riding the clutch im sure.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh you will get a minor for it, you need to do the full procedure at a hill.

Stupid i know, but you just need to pass then you can do stuff like that...slipping the clutch.

Thanks for the replies.
    I hate using clutch control on hills, even though my instructor encourages it, keep worrying that my foot will slip and i'll roll back.

ReputationRep:
    I always do it. But I need to get out of the habit as my test will no doubt be soon.

(Original post by PhilMc)
    I always do it. But I need to get out of the habit as my test will no doubt be soon.
    Have you booked it yet?

Mines next Wednesday (First attempt)

ReputationRep:
    you would hardly need to use clutch control to balance on a hill, I mean you would start on a hill and you can use the handbrake and if you need to stop the car because of a traffic light or traffic infront of you then you can use the handbrake so I'm not sure what you mean, the examiner won't ask you to do clutch control or balance a car on a hill.

ReputationRep:
    It's really really really bad for your clutch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiscoPirate)
    Have you booked it yet?

Mines next Wednesday (First attempt)
    Nope not yet! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxzara)
    It's really really really bad for your clutch
    Depends how you do it.

If its for short periods at low revs, your fine (I can do full hill starts on the clutch and acclerator, as i have plenty of torque to play with) but if you were holding it for a while on the clutch, you will knacker it very very quickly!

ReputationRep:
    Good skill to get sorted but on your test use your handbrake, and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    As a general guide, if you're going to be there for a second and it's a very gentle slope, holding it on the clutch is fine - but bear in mind that if you roll back, it'll result in some kind of fault for certain.

If you know you'll have to stay there for more than a second or two, or a second or two pass: brake, clutch down, handbrake on, brake off and relax - and do a hill start when you move off.

In any case, you should be confident about doing anything with the clutch, including holding the car steady. Keep the revs high and even - that way you'll never stall - and use the clutch to 'apply' those revs to the road, just as you like don't be nervous, because if you roll back you can always hit the brakes.

Practice with the clutch is the key. Even if you're not totally happy when you pass your test, you'll get the hang of it so quickly afterwards that you'll forget the name of the pedal and won't be able to describe what it does...

ReputationRep:
    Holding the car with the clutch is fairly easy, though obviously don't do it for extended periods of time. Just make sure you cover the handbrake and put it back on if you roll backwards. But I doubt you would actually need to...

ReputationRep:
    I say if you can, use the handbrake

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you pull the handbrake up properly and it clicks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tagit)
    Make sure you pull the handbrake up properly and it clicks.
    ...Pull the handbrake up far enough that it *would* click... but remember, your thumb is on the button, so it won't click really

ReputationRep:
    If you go on safety driving courses, they say you should actually pull it up without the button to make sure it sets itself up better

ReputationRep:
    In tests, your handbrake is your friend.

ReputationRep:
    My handbrake is my friend anyway I drove a new Vectra (2.2 litre, cruise control!) a month or two after I passed and it has a short stubby handbrake for reps who don't use it - and it was horrible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxzara)
    If you go on safety driving courses, they say you should actually pull it up without the button to make sure it sets itself up better
    Not a bad idea - but then I gauge how much it's on by feeling the resistance to being pulled further up.

...not that I always use the button anyway :p:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.