The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

London Zoo: 'All men are paedophiles.'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bubblyminty

I'm not sure about the prevalence of male sex offenders regarding children. In the overwhelming cases of sexual assault towards adults, the abuser tends to be males. Not sure if it's correct or incorrect to extrapolate that fact.

Well I'd say it's largely down to two factors. Firstly the law is written in such a way that the most serious sexual offence can only be committed by a male. Secondly men are far less likely to perceive themselves as victims of sexual offences and less likely to report it even when they do. But no, it's irrelevant to mention that; sexual offences against adults and children are completely different.

Yes the majority of children are never abused (thank god). But when talking about helpless young children having sexual acts forced upon them, any number is too much, especially when it ruins the lives of tens of thousands.

Don't veer off on an emotional tangent. The fact is that the policy is hardly likely to be saving children because most will never be abused.

1 in 20 is merely a conservative estimate. An ONS survey in 2016 found that say 1 in 10 women in England & Wales say they were sexually abused as child.

It wasn't an ONS survey, it was CSEW data. Asking people to honestly answer questions about events that occurred decades ago is hardly going to churn out reliable information.

Re my comment about the convert crime. It is completely relevant to mention children abuse is a covert crime. It's covert not only in the sense that sexual child abuse takes places in private, but victims are often so ashamed that they don't report it. Theft of property often takes place covertly, but a victim is unlikely to feel so ashamed that they won't go to the police.

If it's not reported how do you know it's happened?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sternumator
In a perfect world they should go on with their lives as before but just because the evidence wasn't there to prove beyond reasonable doubt, it doesn't mean that they didn't do it. The rights of the adult have to be weighed against the safety of the children.

You could have a situation where a pedophile avoided a conviction on a legal technicality even though it was clear they did it. Would you then be happy leaving your child alone in their care?

Socially services take kids of their parents frequently without the parents being convicted of abusing the children. I would argue telling someone they need to find a different line of work is much less extreme than tearing families apart and taking kids into care.

It is bad that it is possible that before anything has been proven in court, perfectly loving parents get their kids removed by the state. However, the consequence of inaction is equally horrendous. Children are abused when something could have been done to prevent it which is why difficult decisions have to be taken.

I would rather have 1000 guilty men go free than a single innocent man be convicted.
Original post by abc:)
Policy based on (what I thought anyway, but judging by this thread maybe not) an obvious understanding that it is more appropriate and comfortable for young females to be looked after by an older female adult. I can't remember if I said this to you or someone else, but imagine if a young girl starts her period and needs to speak to someone about it. Of course she'd rather go to a female member of staff wouldn't she.

This issue would generally be covered by school policy i.e. ensuring there are female teachers accompanying female pupils. It's not the issue at hand here.

Perhaps you're right and the policy would need updating so that it includes men for male children, but other than that I don't see the issue.

This is exactly THE issue! So I think you're agreeing that it's unfair to treat the male and female teachers differently.
London Zoo have written this guidance because they are obliged to under Safeguarding legislation/best practice. I've run a similar facility and we had to have the same type of rules.

In the case of a family relationship, then the rules do not apply - a father can bring sons, if he is acting in the capacity solely of a father. He cannt of he is acting as, say a scout leader, and all his sons are scouts.
Original post by threeportdrift
London Zoo have written this guidance because they are obliged to under Safeguarding legislation/best practice. I've run a similar facility and we had to have the same type of rules.

In the case of a family relationship, then the rules do not apply - a father can bring sons, if he is acting in the capacity solely of a father. He cannt of he is acting as, say a scout leader, and all his sons are scouts.

But can he bring daughters?
I'd agree with that but don't you think that children deserve a sensible level of protection from those 1000 who are guilty? It's not fair on the children to have them been cared for by them.

Can you specify exactly what they are obliged to do? Are they obliged to let female teachers sleep with male pupils? Or would they be within their rights to only have male teachers sleep with them?

Firstly what legislation? Secondly the rule didn't say men can't supervise boys

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Good bloke
But can he bring daughters?

Original post by chazwomaq
Can you specify exactly what they are obliged to do? Are they obliged to let female teachers sleep with male pupils? Or would they be within their rights to only have male teachers sleep with them?

I can't be specific. I'm not saying that they haven't got it wrong, they seem to have withdrawn this version. However, the source of these sleeping accommodation policies is usually either the original Safeguarding legislation, or the best practice guidelines offered by organisations such as the NSPCC , Scouts etc. It's mainly best-practice guidance though, so there is a degree of interpretation involved.

It is actually quite complex, and depends on a number of issues, not least is the physical layout of the accommodation, the doors available, which have locks on them, where people have to transit through, and where the loos/washrooms are, and in what number. There are also rules/interpretations over what capacity the adults are in. So if an adult is also a parent, they can only be considered a parent (and therefore outside these safeguarding rules) if the only children there are their own, if they are a parent and scout master, then for the purposes of accommodation etc, they are a scout master.

I certainly published rules similar to these (but appropriate to the accommodation I managed) and then checked every single booking to ensure they fitted with our interpretation of the rules/best practice. Where they didn't, I went back and asked for more details. But as well as protecting children, I was protecting my organisation's reputation as well. We had had an incident several years previously, and were highly cautious.

Original post by chazwomaq

I too have experience of these guidelines and they are half-baked. I help run a junior sports club and we, in order to achieve Clubmark accreditation, have to adopt safeguarding practices dictated, ultimately, by Sport England.

We are forced to have criminal record checks on our coaches, most of whom meet the kids every week but who have no access to members individually or in private, or to personal data. However, we are specifically told not to do the same for our committee (who have access to the personal data of every member) or our team managers who meet the children a few times a season. Yet the coaches only ever meet the members in the context of a public sports hall, in full view of between thirty and a hundred people, while the team managers meet the kids individually or in groups of four, and frequently give them lifts to matches in their cars.

This applies even though I pointed out in writing the lack of logic and the flaws in the policy, largely, I think on grounds of cost as the sports governing body pays for the checks, and we have a handful of coaches who stay in place for several years, typically, but about twenty team managers who usually stay in place for a season or two.

It's all about box ticking and being able to claim a care process is being followed, even if that process doesn't make any sense and doesn't serve to protect.

Agreed. Although, having worked in an youth organisation that had experience of finding an active paedophile in their midst, the working environment is never the same again, and everyone's approach to risk and the rules was markedly changed. "Don't ask yourself 'what if I'm wrong?', ask yourself 'what if I'm right?'" held a whole new meaning to those who had been colleagues of the individual.
Agreed. Although, having worked in an youth organisation that had experience of finding an active paedophile in their midst, the working environment is never the same again, and everyone's approach to risk and the rules was markedly changed. "Don't ask yourself 'what if I'm wrong?', ask yourself 'what if I'm right?'" held a whole new meaning to those who had been colleagues of the individual.

I'm sure it must have been a horrible situation to face. I'm glad we haven't had to.

Thanks anyway. I think if the rules was merely male teachers stay with boys and females with girls there would be nothing to moan about, and that would fulfill safeguarding.
Unfortunately, the overwhelming majority of child sex abusers are men. That is the statistical reality. I think you have got to make decisions based on the world as it is not how you wish it was. I don't think children should be put at risk for ideological reasons.

And the majority of child abuse is committed by women, so why is it okay to let female staff watch kids for the same reasons then?
Original post by Zargabaath
And the majority of child abuse is committed by women, so why is it okay to let female staff watch kids for the same reasons then?

That is USA data. Have you no data from a civilised country?
That is USA data. Have you no data from a civilised country?

Can't find data from the UK regarding to gender, despite every government report I've seen labelling the lack of it as a limitation, every following year there's no stats on gender
Unfortunately, the overwhelming majority of child sex abusers are men. That is the statistical reality. I think you have got to make decisions based on the world as it is not how you wish it was. I don't think children should be put at risk for ideological reasons.

An example is when authorities in Rotherham covered up sex abuse because they didn't want to acknowledge that is was Pakistani men. It is dangerous to think just because you wish it wasn't true that isn't.

It reminds me of when people say women should be able to walk home alone at night without getting raped. Of course they should but by doing so, they put themselves at risk.

It is dangerous just because you wish it doesn't make it true.
Statistics do state the majority of child sex are men. That is because that is what's reported.
Males find it even harder to report and are much less likely to be believed.
There are many females who sexually abuse children. Females have closer access to children and are trusted because of people like you.
Sex abusers go to where the victims are.
Schools
Healthcare
Baby sitting
The family home
Females are trusted with children because society does not want to see the truth.
That women abuse children sexually every minute and they will get away with it.
(edited 4 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending